Sign in to follow this  
nine tailed fox

Spiritual career

Hello guys

I have keen interest in spiritual/occult/esoteric teachings, anything mysterious, unknown

Actually this is what I love, this what excites me and gives me thrill

When I am sad, this is what makes me feel high, it makes me feel there is something unknown

Its like this is my life

I just love mysteries and unknown

this is more exciting than girls hehehehe :D

My wildest dream would be travelling the world learning and researching these mysterious things
Like the hero of a fictional story

Omg even this thoughts makes me feel so happy and excited

I want to make this my career

Is this possible ?? can you convert your interest of spirituality , into your career ?

Edited by nine tailed fox
  • Like 1

Adventures into Unknown Mysteries. (AUM)... how does that strike you as a title of some sort?

:D

Edited by C T
  • Like 4

Hello guys

I have keen interest in spiritual/occult/esoteric teachings, anything mysterious, unknown

Actually this is what I love, this what excites me and gives me thrill

When I am sad, this is what makes me feel high, it makes me feel there is something unknown

Its like this is my life

I just love mysteries and unknown

this is more exciting than girls hehehehe :D

My wildest dream would be travelling the world learning and researching these mysterious things

Like the hero of a fictional story

Omg even this thoughts makes me feel so happy and excited

I want to make this my career

Is this possible ?? can you convert your interest of spirituality , into your career ?

Sure you can convert your interest in spirituality into a career; if you have enough experience and ability in it. Nearly every person who has a strong interest in their spiritual path wants to do this, so you have to have something special to offer. Have you been at it 10 times longer than most? Can pull more off than most? Or very importantly, are your self promotional skills better than the others? Also like any self employment, as long as you don't mind working 60 hours per week at first. What I find is that when people think of it as a job they don't think of it as work, or tiring after a long day, or something with challenges. Generally folks just think of that excitement and the nifty feelings one gets from the practice.

Knowing some really famous authors in this genre, I would say that if you take up writing, don't quit your day job, just perhaps find a day job in the field ;).

Most people who write about their travels and experiences are self funded at first. Publishers don't pay up front generally unless you are already known, then still not much.

Don't let this reply get you pessimistic though, there is hope..... it's not really about how spiritual you are, or suited you are for the work, it really is more about self promo. Look at the various newage teachers if you doubt this ;). I have found that during the first at least 5 years, your 40-60 hour per week job consists of self promo for about 40 hours per week of that. Get one social media, get known....

Now the awesome part of making your spiritual path and your full time job as one is... well you get to practice 4-6 hours per day, on top of your regular practice. (the rest is doing all the mundane stuff to keep the job going).

Also you may want to start out by doing some local research, in your area. Each and every area has a wealth of info and history and people who practice and have stories....

Edited by BaguaKicksAss
  • Like 2

I think the single most vital factor which sets the whole stage for this sort of calling is affinity.

• Like 1

A good friend of mine had similar inclinations. She also loved travelling, exotic locations, and to be near the sea.

To fulfil her ambition, she took up yoga, practiced the basics for a number of years, proceeded then to India for intensives with her guru, gained the necessary teaching qualifications after about 2 years, and subsequently settled down in Bali where she now runs a thriving yoga circuit for the more health-conscious tourists. Bali was ideal for her to set up shop cos her husband happened to have started a diving school there. Everything just fell into place at the right moments.

• Like 3

A good friend of mine had similar inclinations. She also loved travelling, exotic locations, and to be near the sea.

To fulfil her ambition, she took up yoga, practiced the basics for a number of years, proceeded then to India for intensives with her guru, gained the necessary teaching qualifications after about 2 years, and subsequently settled down in Bali where she now runs a thriving yoga circuit for the more health-conscious tourists. Bali was ideal for her to set up shop cos her husband happened to have started a diving school there. Everything just fell into place at the right moments.

:D

Career's maybe a bit ambitious.

Careers tend to happen inside professional frameworks with salaries and pensions etc.

You'll not get that as a jobbing spirituality merchant.

Self-employment is more likely.

Why not train to teach English?

You could then travel the world doing the spiritual stuff in your free time whilst enjoying a wage with a modicum of job security.

Then if it all comes together somewhere you really like and can get a living by it, you could hang out your shingle and go full time with the spirituality work.

Remember Rule Number 1 for gurus....

" Never, ever; giggle whilst taking money from the punters."

That's where Osho fell down.

Edited by GrandmasterP

I think I've met this woman :P ... Talk about intense Yoga session! The cafe with all it's raw food options will forever be in my mind.

What a great topic. You most definitely can live the life you want and have a spiritual job.

Though I can find spirituality in my woodworking and sculpting, some folks might not agree, but that's semantics.

If you can envision it, you can live it.

My wife has decided to change jobs to a more spiritual focus.

She's been working for the last 12 years with Venture Capitalists...

When she told me, she was taking a job with a firm doing this I was :wacko: flabbergasted. We met on stage. She's an artist and a performer at heart. I could not believe it.

She took invaluable lessons away in the process, but sheesh the price... brutal.

I wouldn't last a month.

She did it for the 'security' and the great money and the 'security'.

Well 12 years later, she's learned some outstanding spiritual lessons in dealing with these sharks every single day of her professional life, but she's realized fully that there is A: no security to be had and B: it's killing her to stay there.

So we've planned it out and she's taking a year off starting in a few months. Going through a full detox. Going on retreat. Getting her credentials to teach yoga and spending a year simply being. Mom, Wife, Woman... just be, explore, sit, play. After that, she's going to take up teaching yoga, she's been practicing for decades and has toyed with it on and off. I suspect she'll probably also find some part time work in a florist shop or a plant store. Maybe we'll combine them into one yoga, plant, teahouse. :)

Life is short. I'm so proud that she's got the stones to walk away from a career like she's built and pursue her heart and feed her spirit with something she loves, something that will make her soul shine.

You may as well try and do what you love and yea, you might fail, but then you can fail at something you don't want to do as well.

• Like 4

Throw away anything and everything you know about spirituality, its like the horns of a bull.... a point here, a point there and a whole load of bull in between.

Go enjoy life instead

:)

Bows

• Like 2

Follow your bliss, even if it leads to what some people call "failure". Because it's only through failing that we learn and grow.

Back in the day a young man lacking career direction and in search of travel and adventures joined one of the armed forces.

Back in the day a young man lacking career direction and in search of travel and adventures joined one of the armed forces. :)

If they were (un)lucky, their life was too short to pursue another career after that. Problem solved. ;)

• Like 1

Yep, most jobs have a down side.

Working in India for five- years I came across lots of young Europeans and Americans 'travelling to find themselves'....

' extended holidays' we called it.

With few exceptions those youngsters will have grown up a bit now, found gainful employment and possibly be raising kids of their own.

Priorities change as one gets older.

Best time to embark on a spiritual quest is post-retirement once all dues are paid and you can support yourself without becoming a burden on anyone else, ripping off spiritual tourists or sponging a 'living' off your Mom and Dad.

Becoming a wandering Saddhu in India is a post retirement option of choice for many a spiritually inclined senior.

They are revered whereas youngsters in orange are looked upon with deep suspicion by all as lazy feckless kids who are dishonouring their families, especially 'Mum'.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Forgot to mention the exception that proves the rule....

Temple Elephant wallahs are generally young, they need to be as it's a physical job.

Anyone working a Temple Elephant is a 'made man' and their families can live like nabobs from the takings.

They're a priest-caste and wear orange but it's more of a lucrative franchise than ever it is a religion for them.

Edited by GrandmasterP

The only problem with waiting till retirement, is that not all of us may make it to retirement; especially in a country like India. If I had a deep spiritual "calling" I'm not sure I'd wait till ill health may make it difficult or an unfortunate death made it impossible.

Edited by aboo

There's zero money to be made from writing spirituality books.

Even the big names struggle to make much at all from their publications.

The money's in gigs and teaching 1-2-1.

No overhead apart from your own time and skill.

For anyone with capital or a friendly bank manager to cover atart up costs then an ashram can be a real money-spinner especially if you teach the punters that eating very little and that pure veggie plus doing all the Cooking and maintenance chores around the place will aid their spiritual progress.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

But there's an aspect to it, that I really would like to know. Can one be a spiritual teacher when one hasn't achieved enlightenment yet?

But there's an aspect to it, that I really would like to know. Can one be a spiritual teacher when one hasn't achieved enlightenment yet?

That has never stopped anyone so far.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

I am from India btw and believe me, there is much more pressure to get a job and get married, compare to any other country

I don't wanna become a sadhu or become a teacher to get money

That's not adventure

I get thrill in the journey

I wanna experience that journey, that journey of exploring unknown, like a fictional novel story

But it should be spiritual,/magical/esoteric journey

Like travelling the world exploring unknown

But I want this to be a career

I wish there was some secret society or something which would pay for these type of adventures, pay for all the expenses

And I will just explore the mysteries and even get paid for it

That's adventurous

• Like 1

I am from India btw and believe me, there is much more pressure to get a job and get married, compare to any other country

I don't wanna become a sadhu or become a teacher to get money

That's not adventure

I get thrill in the journey

I wanna experience that journey, that journey of exploring unknown, like a fictional novel story

But it should be spiritual,/magical/esoteric journey

Like travelling the world exploring unknown

But I want this to be a career

I wish there was some secret society or something which would pay for these type of adventures, pay for all the expenses

And I will just explore the mysteries and even get paid for it

That's adventurous

That's the dream ;).... Butttt it doesn't happen without some serious commitment to either struggling through the system to save up a little nest egg for your retirement... Or... Winning the lottery.

The only other option is to give everything up, if you don't want to teach for money. Almost every other spiritual "work" won't earn enough to be your main source of income, or will take up all your time and energy to the point that you don't enjoy it as much as you planned to.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this