Sign in to follow this  
Tao of Buttercup

Vulcans vs Klingons

Yes, this is meant to be lighthearted (sort of). ^_^

Recently re-watched a couple of Star Trek movies (III & IV). It'd been a while.

I remember being shocked, after the films initially came out (I was a teenager), how many people LOVED Klingons. :unsure: And developed the "Klingon language", dictionary, etc.

Well I was the definite minority, because I've always loved VULCANS. And no wonder (my spirituality). And again I'm charmed and in love with Vulcan and its society as portrayed in the films.

My favorite ST film is the original: Star Trek: The Motion Picture. The ambiance, spiritual flavor, philosophical questions, ultimate outcome.

• Like 2

O yes, my mind to your mind, etc. Especially Spock was a favorite character. I always loved Star Trek, but since I saw Battlestar Galactica (the new series), I'm a Trekkie no more!

• Like 3

O yes, my mind to your mind, etc. Especially Spock was a favorite character. I always loved Star Trek, but since I saw Battlestar Galactica (the new series), I'm a Trekkie no more!

Actually, I prefer "Star Wars"...but still have a real fondness for the original Trek cast.

• Like 1

Star Wars, never was a fan of that. But I can see the Jedi thing being a good theme also.

We're weird women, don't you think? Most of the other specimens of our gender don't like sci fi. Or maybe we're normal and they are weird!

• Like 3

Star Wars, never was a fan of that. But I can see the Jedi thing being a good theme also.

We're weird women, don't you think? Most of the other specimens of our gender don't like sci fi. Or maybe we're normal and they are weird!

Yep - it's them. ;)

I read James Blish's novelized versions of the original Star Trek episodes before I actually saw Star Trek TV episodes in syndication. Saw those novels for sell at local Five & Dime; begged my mom. That was mid-1970s. But then I've liked astronomy and science since I can remember, so...

My sister spent rainy afternoons all engrossed in Grace Livingston Hill Christian romances, while I was going around the galaxy with Capt. Kirk and crew! :P Such adventures!

• Like 2

But then I've liked astronomy and science since I can remember, so...

Me too. I knew how many light years a way the most nearby stars were when I was 8 or so. :D I'm still fascinated with science. Talking about quasars and singularities can get me into higher spheres! :ph34r:

• Like 2

Vulcans v Klingons no contest.

Vulcans would win every time in an even numbers match.

Reason being that the Vulcan team captain could call the plays and all the team would know what to do cos all Vulcans speak perfect English.

The Klingon team, on the other hand; would have to keep stopping to consult their " Teach Yourself Klingon" phrase books in order to understand what it was that their skipper was saying.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2

No movie scene ever made me throw up with the exception of that moment in Battlestar Galactica when Boomer shot Commander Adama in the stomach. Of course I was already feeling fracked up of my own accord by then, due to some fishy ingredient in the gumbo they served me at the Crab Hut about an hour earlier, but I will never know if the gumbo would have been enough by itself.

Battlestar left me with the word "frack" instead of its four-letter counterpart as a gift eternal, also "it all happened before, and it will all happen again" as my response to pretty much anything, and interchangeably with "archon" I use the terms "cylon" or "toaster" now. Oh, and the ending flopped, as they always do when the theme is too ambitious to resolve to any satisfaction in any TV show, but the opening line was simply incredible. "Are you alive?.."

• Like 1

I still give props to the original Trek, for being ingenious enough to be able to broach socially tense/viable topics under the guise of 'alien cover'. Though I wish the scripts and acting had been... well... decent even.

I spent two years working on the stage at Paramount on Community, where they filmed the original series. One day just after wrap, I turned around to see George Takei and a friend coming in to wander the old stage. He is an absolutely awesome guy. Top notch chap. Such a warm, open human.

Still nothing compares to LOTR for me. Sci fi is fun, but fantasy is where my heart lives.

As far as sci fi goes, my favorite storyline is The Matrix, followed closely by Ridley Scott's Bladerunner/Alien world.

• Like 1

...I still gI spent two years working on the stage at Paramount on Community, where they filmed the original series. One day just after wrap, I turned around to see George Takei and a friend coming in to wander the old stage. He is an absolutely awesome guy. Top notch chap. Such a warm, open human....

As far as sci fi goes, my favorite storyline is The Matrix, followed closely by Ridley Scott's Bladerunner/Alien world.

I follow Mr. Takei on Twitter. Good sense of humor, etc. :)

Blade Runner - excellent. One of the best. Like the Alien films, too (except the prison planet).

• Like 1

Yea, the Cameron sequel Aliens is among my favorite sequels of all time.

But really the other alien movies are not even remotely on that list... ugh

I'm not sure why it should be one or the other? We're not talking about competing soccer teams here. Personally, I like Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica and all the others that have been named here as well as Dr. Who for TV series, and Titan A.E. for movies. And many others more.

• Like 2

Vulcans v Klingons no contest.

there was a battlestar galactica movie? :lol: I loved the original series when I was a kid, but never bothered with the new one(s).

• Like 2

joeblast, there was a remake of the series, much much better then the first one. More depth of characters, also quite spiritual in a way. Highly recommended!

• Like 1

That last Dr Who was a bit wet for my taste.

This new guy might be OK though.

Tom Baker was the best Doc for me so far and old William Hartnell for ham.

I've seen em all come and go.

:)

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

the more recent BG, had some impressive storylines regarding statism, terrorism, religious manipulation and intolerance... it quite surprised me, in addition to some good acting... aside from the schmuck playing commander's son Apollo.. how did that guy get hired?

It was a drag for me, that so many of his scenes were with the two of the strongest actors in the series...

his father played by Edward James Olmos and Kathryn Ann Sackhoff who played Starbuck his love interest...

Poor kid, just mauled his role... but seriously, that series was well done, worth a look.

yeah, son of commander, a schmuck? I couldnt imagine :lol:

To call him a schmuck is a bit unfair. In the new series, he is more of an idealist thinker than case-hardened daddy but he does stand his ground.

Starbuck became a woman! Attractive but hardly less egocentric than in her previous incarnation. There are loads of hot and devious chicks in this series, btw... :D

All in all, I strongly agree with Silent Thunder's thoughts on BG. I, too, would highlight the complexity of the characters. The series treats many a real-world problem in thought provoking ways... Just when you think you know who the good guys and who the bad guys are, you find that things aren't nearly as simple as they seemed. Little zebra thinking here! Plus, action that takes your breath away. And yes, the series does have spiritual aspects.

Highly recommended to sci fi aficionados, especially of the New Age or Taoist variety. ;)

in my experience, if a character is a schmuck, it is because said character was written that way :lol:

I heard michael madsen is a nice guy, despite how good of an asshole he plays on the screen :lol: (first on-screen asshole character that came to mind :D)

When I say schmuck in this sense, I'm referring to the actor's inability to convey believably, the deeper aspects of his dialogue or intentions... not to how his character is written. The writing on the show was great and his character had potential, the actor just didn't have the skills to fill it out believably.

It was really unfortunate for him, that his most dramatic scenes were with actors capable of such subtlety and layers, it really highlighted his lack of skills.

Also, Caprica with Eric Stolz... surprising depth of character and storylines for tv.

In BG, I found the chemistry between Number Six and Gaius Baltar amazing. I particularly liked the part where Baltar helps Number Six (or one of her "clones") to get out of Admiral Caine's torture chamber. I could understand the buddy all too well! Even though by giving her an atom bomb for blowing herself and numerous innocent people on board of one of the ships into stardust, he arguably took things a little far...

The cord phones on board of the Galactica and the jingling toasters are hilarious.

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this