Sign in to follow this  
idiot_stimpy

Fascination

What drives fascination of something? Something so intriguing and wonderful your being is held under a spell, not willing to look past that which its attention is centred on?

Are we trapped by own own intrigue, like hooks that we cannot let go of until we are ready to see past their transient nature?

Why are we drawn to and become fascinated with some things?

Edited by idiot_stimpy

Your OPs have that very effect on me stimps.

Could be 'masochism' I suppose.

What do others think?

:)

Edited by GrandmasterP

What drives fascination of something? Something so intriguing and wonderful your being is held under a spell, not willing to look past that which its attention is centred on?

Are we trapped by own own intrigue, like hooks that we cannot let go of until we are ready to see past their transient nature?

Why are we drawn to and become fascinated with some things?

Great question.

I would say, in general, that it is a function of the very complex history of our social, cultural, developmental, and genetic conditioning.

In other words, our karma.

The fundamental fascination that is hard to let go of is with the illusory permanence of our own life and that of those we love.

Fascinations are linked to psychological drives and in a round about way the unconscious self associates the object of fascination with a fulfilment of the drive ... but it isnt quiet clear and the conscious self doesnt know why .... yet , so it directs more attention and time to the observation of the object.

But it also has a 'hypnotic' association .... and relates to a Venusian energy (and also by etymological association - Venus, the ambivalence of her function is suggested in the etymological relationship of the root *venes- with Latin venenum (poison, venom), in the sense of "a charm, magic philtre". - I.e. the idea that one cannot resist it ( may relate to 'unresisted ' behaviour due to 'hormone overload' .... or a badly aspected natal Venus) and by association; Fascinate , Latin; fascinare - 'to bewitch' - so the previous internalised energy 'projected' .

Quiet possibly, a fascination is seen unconsciously to supply a need relating to the Venusian part of the psyche . *

It also has 'magnetic' associations and seems to be able to 'attract concentration' to the point where other functions seem secondary, as in having the power to fascinate .

Careful! Its a 'gravity well'.

{ It happened again! I lost a whole section because I posted a smilie .... page jumps text gone! WTF! .... cant be bothered to keep re-doing this .... happened twice yesterday ! ( < angry smilie posted here ... not game to do it as I might loose this as well .}

Edited by Nungali

Sign in to follow this