Sign in to follow this  
Felcor

Sense of spinning while meditating.

I had when I fainted the other night. Had dinner and a few glasses of red, fell asleep on the couch, got up to go to bed, about to go to the toilet, then BAM out like a light. Wasn't drunk or anything but I'm sure it was something to do with a lack of oxygen (still investigating). The sensation was an instant change to some sort of hallucination, a spinning sensation, a falling sensation, and a feeling of complete loss of control. This lasted what felt like 5-10 seconds then I just remember waking up perhaps a minute or so later on the floor with a nasty bump on my head.

Probably not the same thing but still a point to consider. I think you'll know intuitively if it's a bad thing or not.

You must be a very tall guy, am I correct....???

Nah like 170cm or so (5'6''). Quite thin also due to a fast metabolism.

Okay, 5' 6", when you get up, it is quite a distance change for your head to move up from the couch. As soon you stood up, the blood will try to rush to your head due to the drastic change in pressure. Thus your brain will act up because it cannot handle all the blood that was moving to the head all the sudden. You will resume normal after the pressure is stabilized. It is similar to an altitude sickness but in a short time as in your case.

To avoid this from happening again, next time when you get up just do it slowly so the pressure won't change so drastically.

Edited by ChiDragon

I had when I fainted the other night. Had dinner and a few glasses of red, fell asleep on the couch, got up to go to bed, about to go to the toilet, then BAM out like a light. Wasn't drunk or anything but I'm sure it was something to do with a lack of oxygen (still investigating). The sensation was an instant change to some sort of hallucination, a spinning sensation, a falling sensation, and a feeling of complete loss of control. This lasted what felt like 5-10 seconds then I just remember waking up perhaps a minute or so later on the floor with a nasty bump on my head.

I know what you are talking about. I have a condition such that at unpredictable times but mostly in the morning if I get up suddenly to walk somewhere I will get dizzy. I have never passed out but have come very close. I have learned to immediately stop dead when this happens and allow the dizziness to leave. Sometimes I must lower my head by bending over in place to allow the blood to flow better. My case is physical (hardened arteries in the neck) and cannot be corrected so I had to learn to deal with it to prevent passing out and causing myself physical damage.

Good article. No, I am not going to stop smoking. Other than that my living is pretty healthy. Yes, I get dizzy if I move position too rapidly on my inversion table.

But regardless, I have learned to deal with it on my own as the doctors had no recommendations for me other than to stop smoking. As with my coffee, I don't even like myself if I don't have my smokes and coffee.

Try leaving your eyes open to compare. And try to have them really open, taking in your surroundings, actively, but non-judgmentally.

Another thing to try:

When you conclude a session, place the palms over the closed eyes for a minute or two. Then open the eyes behind the hands, then slowly draw the hands apart to allow the light to gradually return. Like seeing the world for the first time.

Just an idea...

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice ChiDragon!

Try leaving your eyes open to compare. And try to have them really open, taking in your surroundings, actively, but non-judgmentally.

Another thing to try:
When you conclude a session, place the palms over the closed eyes for a minute or two. Then open the eyes behind the hands, then slowly draw the hands apart to allow the light to gradually return. Like seeing the world for the first time.

Just an idea...

Ah this is something I will try! I like the idea of "really opening your eyes" and taking in your surroundings. I think a lot of time people(Myself included) try and get away from reality and with things like meditation they try to "get away" from the body or the room. I think a lot of the time we don't realize that we are trying to escape something we were never really caught in. You know what I mean?

You were never truly present to begin with. You were never really there. Sometimes the solution is not to get away but to go towards. Get up close with what is real. really plant yourself in the moment. This helps a lot to clear the mind.

So combining this with meditation makes sense to me. I think this is what you meant? Not just try it with your eyes open, but try it with your eyes OPEN? XD

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this