4bsolute

What style/practice is this?

also I have never seen an active practice before (non meditational) that requires you to not breathe for such a long period as shown in here:

but solely observing the movements, it all makes perfect sense.

Has this style or practice a specific name?

Edited by 4bsolute

The first, taiji48, was created in the 1970s for competitions. The second, taiji24, was created in the 1950s as a simplified taiji form for the masses. Both are eclectic, though the 24 is based mostly on Yang and the 48 has more elements added from other traditional styles.

I don't practice any of these, being fully Chen, but people I know who do, who choose to learn many different styles, don't dislike them. They assert these are a good warm-up and are easy to use to prepare a beginner for the traditional forms.

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 3

it is sport and simplified versions of Taiji Quan, whereas traditional Taiji Quan is significantly different.

Don't you read the description on the top of the videos....???

well the third just says taoist morning practice

The first two videos show the simplified 48 and 24 posture forms, respectively. If you would like more resources to help you learn them, I would recommend this book and this video.

If you like traditional, 108 posture forms, cool. If you want to learn taiji-style movement in the most efficient way available, practice these two simplified forms. They are simplified, but they are not simple.

• Like 2

well the third just says taoist morning practice

the third is Qi Gong

By the rule of thumb:

Any exercise involves with deep breathing and slow movements is considered to be Qi Gong.

You were right the first time.

I've just realized, the Chan and Yang styles have their own simplified 24 forms. The 48 form is the combination of all other style forms.

By the rule of thumb:

Any exercise involves with deep breathing and slow movements is considered to be Qi Gong.

You were right the first time.

hmmm i dont think taichi is considered Qi Gong, but Qi Gong is considered Tai Chi

hmmm i dont think taichi is considered Qi Gong, but Qi Gong is considered Tai Chi

hmmmm.....give it another second thought and see does that definition fits.....!!!

• Like 1

You are not actually holding the breath for more than about 45 seconds and since your breath is not locked and you are relaxed air is moving a bit during the movements - particularly these movements. At a certain point in practice it is not only increasing ones capacities in breathing, it is also finding a point at which you go beyond the bodies concerns or it's anxiousness - this is not subjugation or control, it is a large feeling and it has a strong sound.

• Like 1

The first two videos show the simplified 48 and 24 posture forms, respectively. If you would like more resources to help you learn them, I would recommend this book and this video.

If you like traditional, 108 posture forms, cool. If you want to learn taiji-style movement in the most efficient way available, practice these two simplified forms. They are simplified, but they are not simple.

Traditional form it is question not about amount forms, it is question about principles :)

In sport and simplified versions of Taiji Quan and traditional Taiji Quan doing movements not the same.

In Qi Gong, one will never hold the breathing but regulates it. That said, one may hold the breath but the circulation of the breath never stops. During the regulation, one may not inhale nor exhale, the breath still moves up and down inside the trachea. By doing the regulation of the breath, the practitioner will not be suffocated and the face will not turn red. This is highest realm one would like to be accomplished in Qi Gong.

• Like 2

The third video is a component of "Ten Daoist Exercises" as I was taught it. I looked to see if it was on youtube but could only find sets doing something different under that name.

The Daoyin dragons work the earth to heaven and back again movement.

The "massage the face nine times" component shows up in a lot of places. I learned it as part of a sitting set, combined with tapping on the back of the head. I have seen Shaolin players do a version of it as a part of their qi gong.

I am not trying to say anything authoritative about sources; Just noticing how these elements are being used by many different styles and schools.

Edited by PLB
  • Like 1

You are not actually holding the breath for more than about 45 seconds and since your breath is not locked and you are relaxed air is moving a bit during the movements - particularly these movements. At a certain point in practice it is not only increasing ones capacities in breathing, it is also finding a point at which you go beyond the bodies concerns or it's anxiousness - this is not subjugation or control, it is a large feeling and it has a strong sound.

I am hearing you there. It is something totally different. I remember holding the breath when I was a child and enjoyed the sensations in and after breathing again. Something very profound in it.. I never held the breath and did movements. Completely new to it, but I am in love with it.

• Like 1

Arent they ALL Tao Yin ?

(unless theres no mental aspect of moving chi ?)

Qigong being a relatively young( 1930's) term , and Taiji being a soft form.