zerostao

Tai Shang Men---Xiao Yao Pai Basics

Fellow bums, from time to time I receive pm inquiring about Xiao Yao Pai and my experiences since my initiation June, 2012. I am always happy to answer those, however, I am not online here on TTB as much as I used to be and a pm could sit in my inbox unread for some time. My idea for this thread is it will be able to answer many of the inquiries. The first concept on this thread will be about Mental Illusion.

Here on TTB we have members from all over the world. Some are from America and Europe and many of these are brought up in the environment of western society, education, culture, and largely Christian. We have members from Asia that have been brought up with eastern culture, education, and largely Buddhist with some with Taoist influences. We have members from India that have been brought up with the caste system and perhaps many of them Hindu. What I am getting at is that where we are born and how we are taught forms our perceptions of what is normal and what is reality.

When I was stationed in Turkey along the Syrian border, we were instructed about local customs. One of the things we were told was never to wave to anyone or hand anything to anyone with our left hand. This would be viewed as an insult. One day sure enough, I was wandering around and a child on a bicycle smiled and waved at me and without thinking about it, I naturally waved back but with my left hand. His facial expression changed from happy to hurt that quickly. I felt bad about it and I certainly didn’t intend to insult him. This is an example of the Mental Illusion I am talking about.

Imagine that you had just eaten a delicious meal that had been prepared by new friends and then you found out that it had been made with dog, or rat, or snake. How are you going to feel about that? Will you get sick? Where I grew up this type of meal would not be expected but in many parts of the world folks do eat dog, rat, and snake. They eat these comfortably, while I would experience some serious reservations about it, or even have an adverse physical reaction to it. This is because of my conditioned upbringing and taught perceptions that cause mental blocks and mental illusions.

These are just a couple of simple examples about mental illusions. Each of us have formed many of these mental illusions due to our mind being formed and conditioned by our local society, culture, and religion. And if we had been born into a different part of the world than we were, we would certainly have a much different perspective, personality, and a different set of mental illusions. So, our present self is not our true self, it is a self that has been conditioned and formed by our society, culture, family, education system, and by experiences.

• Like 5

So, our present self is a product of our upbringing, conditioned by local society, culture, educational system, family, and by the local religion. Chances are very good that if you were born in Thailand you are Buddhist, born in India you’re very well likely Hindu, born in Arabia you’re most likely Muslim, born in the bible belt of America like I was and I was brought up Christian, so on and so forth. And we develop beliefs due to the conditioning. If we follow the religion we become indoctrinated to it and our mind forms to that. This is how belief works.

Religions use their system to educate, guide and control their followers to be good citizens following the local accepted social norms. Tai Shang Men uses a different approach. What some folks refer to as “common sense” Xiao Yao Pai calls “Wu”. This Wu is the main tool in learning Tai Shang Men Taoism. We do not follow dogma or faith, we use Wu as our compass in life. In learning Taoism, the first step is that we must be able to stand apart from any concept and not be confined by any concept. We don’t look to get stuck inside or trapped in any box (conditioned concepts).Wu is a way of thought that looks to make the best decision or find the wisest solution in accordance with the situation or condition. Wu considers the effect of the act as more important than the act itself.

The goal of Tai Shang Men Taoism is to regain our true self. We do not judge religions. We do see differences between those obeying religious teachings and implementing it in their life with those that emphasize the doctrines that confines their thinking. Compare those to the young child whose mind is still in clarity and not formed by the concepts of faith and what is goodness. We see that religion is human made and includes customs, rules, manners, to condition and form the thinking.

• Like 3

Hi zero,

Regarding mental illusions, how do you put this to the test in your own practices? Or, more broadly, how does one put it to the test in one's own practices, no matter how beloved?

Your post is a reminder to me of the importance of self-reflection, as we can become blind to the illusions we ourselves carry.

Hope you are well. :)

excellent questions rainbowvein. I am well thank you ! I hope everything is going well in your life as well.

I will address these questions fuller as the thread develops. I will say now that from the beginning, XYP challenges us to test the practices for ourselves. to consider our own experience and that the practices are based on functionality rather than on faith. there will be confirming moments involved and Taoist skills achieved.

• Like 1

On Monday or soon next week I will bring up another XYP concept.

In the meanwhile, anyone who would like to participate in this exercise/puzzle/quiz may do so.

send your answer to [email protected] and you will get some feedback from someone much further along with TSM/XYP than me.

*Journey to the past.*Imagine we went to the past by using a time machine.Then we were trapped inside a prehistoric culture and there is no wayback to our century.We live among a primitive society that has no rules.We have no choice except continuing our life inside that society.The good news is, we are the cleverest and wisest person in thisprimitive place. (of course.... :-)So, how will we spend our life in this society?There are some choices as:1. We live separate from them2. We adaptat and follow their way of living.3. We try to help and educate them in living the life.If we choose number 1 or 2, nothing important to discuss.*So, let's assuming we choose the third choice.*Maybe we try to improve their culture and educate them.Teach them how to use simple clothes as body protection.Teach them about hygiene and health.Teach them to cook raw meat before eating it.Teach them about partnership and marriage.Teach them about manners and customs.Teach them about rules.And so on…..We become a teacher from whom they need advice.After we die, they write our thoughts and ideas in a book.They then use it as reference to make decisions in their everyday life.A thousand years later…….The book becomes a holy script, our thoughts become dogmas and we areglorified as a prophet.And then the people call this way of life a religion.---------------------Let’s do a puzzle;After reading the story above which is a match with your situation?A. My common sense and my mind cannot accept that story.B. That story makes sense but only for other religions and not for myreligion.C. That story makes sense and my mind can accept this possibility.D. This story offends me and I do not like it.E. Other……(please explain).Please choose one that match with your condition and email [email protected] note that time travel is not possible at present, *please ignore it*.I just use it to* compare the civilization distance between our century andthousand years ago.*

Oh yes I wanted to send a PM for maybe a year already.

Stuck on the topic of possible karmic aspects of decision like this, namely karmic price to pay for 'external help'.

'My heart has the answer.'

Do you have some tips or comments please?

@ CloudHands, some ancient Taoist clans used their left hands to put incense on the altar, in TSM we do not use this rule, we realize that all rules were made by those who lived before us.

@Leif, listen to your heart.

I would think that the results to you from the 'external help' would matter. Do you become a better human with the help or not.

edit>>if we take on a live-in-person teacher, isnt that also 'external help' ?

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 1

I have mentioned on previous threads that TSM & XYP is Spiritual Taoism. What exactly am I talking about? What is Spiritual? If we do some reflecting, we may consider that there are 4 aspects of life to further consider and reflect about:

1. Physical body, our ‘hardware’ if you will.
  2. Mental body/consciousness. Kinda like our “software” we cant touch it but we can feel it. This aspect has the following tools. A. intelligence, rationality, common sense. B. feeling, emotion. The term Enlightenment that gets used a lot on this forum I am placing in here and it correlates within the scope of mental/consciousness aspect.
  3. Energy/spirit. If I hadn’t already gone a bit abstract I certainly am now. Energy/spirit is what still exists after our physical death. If you cannot accept this >That we are energy, everything is energy and energy is neither created or destroyed but it does transform, then you can probably leave this thread now and no longer wonder about if Spiritual Taoism is for you or not. Our condition after physical death is part of the spiritual curriculum. Immortality correlates within this scope.
  4. Worldly life value. What have you been doing and what have you done? Its also our social life. Spirituality is a method of improving # 2 and 3 and consists of exercises to develop #2 & 3. Religion which is distinct from spiritual is a system to educate and control people to become good. #4. Religion is dogmatic and has many rules as the reference to living.

i am going to skip past a few of what i intended to post in an orderly manner lol

instead of letting myself become entrapped into any discusssion current on other threads.

Other systems do cultivate jing qi shen and then begin their spirit cultivation.

XYP initiates immediately begin spirit cultivation.

Then we use Shen to guide us in physical and energetic cultivation. The core is spirit cultivation.

people seek happiness. if happiness is not achieved, then at least the people try and survive inside the universe.

surviving and looking for happiness are natural impulses for human. these are fundamental reasons behind Taoist spiritual development. also, people are curious about the mystery of life and this gives us 3 main triggers behind Taoist spiritual development.

1. natural human impulse to survive and preserve their life.

2, natural human impulse to be happy,

3. natural human curiosity to seek the truth by revealing the mystery of life.

based on these 3 aspects ancient people sought to improve their skill and knowledge.

with goals of survival and happiness, they studied the physical and metaphysical world to reveal the secrets.

they tried hard to avoid death and to preserve life.

they studied herbal ingredients to preserve life and even sought a magical tablet to make their body strong and immortal.

this is the root of Chinese herbal medicine.

they studied the human body's metabolism and the internal organs.

from this we inherit acupuncture and other Taoist treatments.

they sought to stop the physical decay that causes humans to age and weaken.

they developed breathing systems and internal alchemy to prolong life.

and we have heard of and know qigong masters that lived over 100 or even 200 years old,

but still they could not avoid death.

so, then ancient Taoists began researching death and afterlife.

from this we inherit Taoist spiritual exercises.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2020 at 6:44 AM, moreira Filho said:

Hi. The initiation can be made at distance?

I will check if there are any upcoming initiations planned.

Initiations are not available at distance.

Edited by zerostao
Sp