alchemist

Wuliupai school

Hi all,

I am a disciple of a Daoist school Wuliupai, and I would like to introduce the TTB members to the main principles of the School.

Here is a short quote from a Wikipedia article:

> The school's doctrine is related in the works of the school's founders: "Common Teachings of Immortals and Buddhas" and "True Principles of Heavenly Immortality" by Wu Chongxu; and also in "Book of Understanding Life" and "Confirmatory Teachings of Golden Immortals" by Liu Huayang. The school puts its main emphasis on the practice of internal alchemy, in order to realise Tao, thus achieving a status of "an immortal and a buddha". A distinctive trait of the school is its postulated identity of Taoist principles with those of early Chan Buddhism. As E. A. Torchinov noted in the foreword to his translation of Zhang Bo-duan's "Chapters of Understanding Life", "With time the immortals came to be regarded as taoist counterparts of Buddhas, which have led to creation of syncretical schools (albeit dominated by Taoism) of Immortals and Buddhas (xianfo) in 16th-17th centuries; in these schools tenets of Buddhist doctrine were only perceived through the lens of taoist tradition."

The whole article can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuliupai

In this topic, I will be glad to answer any questions about the School you may have.

Later I am planning to give some translations of the classics of the School and some notable Daoist texts.

BR

• Like 12

Thank you for being here.

From the wuliupai website:

In contrast to the systems of qigong, JIUYANGSHENGONG is a fully self-regulating mechanism of the pre-heaven qi, where the yuan qi passes through certain channels of the body automatically; it does not use the regulation of qi by consciousness, conducting of qi through the channels, the concentration of consciousness at the centers of the body and other methods of working with post heaven qi that lead_ to such deviations.

I think this is an indication that the method of the school is an high level one, and I imagine that it probably involves some secret posture and the ch'an way of dealing with the mind.

Am I correct?

• Like 2

In this topic, I will be glad to answer any questions about the School you may have.

I have a couple of questions for you...

1) Are English speaking representatives from your school ever thinking about traveling to teach a little bit in the USA or Canada? I would love to learn the beginning practices (which I've read about on the website), and I'm sure many others here feel the same way.

2) Are the requirements for students of your school very strict? For instance, I've heard that students are expected to travel to China each year...and for many people that ends up being too expensive and time consuming to continue. Does the school accept people who are in college?

Thanks.

• Like 2

Great.

Dao rain Tao..if I may...there should be no posture, Yang requires movements.

Yuanqi cannot be moved or felt by consciousness, imagination or visulizations. These are all incorrect and not true Daoist methods.

As far as I know JIUYANGSHENGONG is only the beginning method to clear channels etc. Its not the main neidan work.

There is a study group from Dao De Center Russia teaching Yu Xian Pai (Dao De Center Russia is Wu Lui Pai's home as well) in Canada.

Www.northerndao.org/neidan

• Like 2

Thank you for being here.

From the wuliupai website:

I think this is an indication that the method of the school is an high level one, and I imagine that it probably involves some secret posture and the ch'an way of dealing with the mind.

Am I correct?

Hi DAO rain TAO,

Thank you for the question.

This is a basic method of our school, but it is a high level one in comparison to the post-heaven practices like qigong.

It doesn't use postures and mind, that's the difference between pre-heaven and post-heaven methods.

BR

Edited by alchemist
  • Like 1

I have a couple of questions for you...

1) Are English speaking representatives from your school ever thinking about traveling to teach a little bit in the USA or Canada? I would love to learn the beginning practices (which I've read about on the website), and I'm sure many others here feel the same way.

2) Are the requirements for students of your school very strict? For instance, I've heard that students are expected to travel to China each year...and for many people that ends up being too expensive and time consuming to continue. Does the school accept people who are in college?

Thanks.

Hi Aethorous,

Thank you for the questions,

1) In fact, that is not in our nearest plans. I want to be understood correctly: my goal here is not to advertise the School, but only to give some information about the authentic tradition of Daoist alchemy, since there is a lot of pseudo-Daoist schools and teachers.

Anyway, besides that, I think that visiting USA or Canada can be discussed, but only if there is a lot of interested persons.

2) The requirements are very strict, but visiting China is not one of them at the moment. Learning is not that expensive, and we do accept people who are in college.

BR

Edited by alchemist
  • Like 1

i think the quote makes it clear they use quieting the mind as the method of cultivation. it's the only way to achieve "automatic" progress.

however i guess there is a possibility of me being wrong, not being a student...

the website info makes it look like dragon gate, minus the confucius aspects of DG

..nvm..this is exactly like dragon gate :D

Edited by MooNiNite
  • Like 1

I would also like to answer the post from another thread here:

Hi (fellow) Alchemist!

That surely sounds interesting what the Wikipedia article has to say about your system. I found the following quote particularly intriguing:

"A distinctive trait of the school is its postulated identity of Taoist principles with those of early Chan Buddhism."

This is reminiscent of certain writings by Alan Watts - even though he tended to look at early Eastern philosophies from the Zen perspective of spontaneous awakening and was not so interested in the more Taoist/Alchemical/Qigong approach that your school seems to follow. That said, I think that such distinctions are somewhat artificial and that the different outlooks are in truth rather complementing than contradicting each other. Hey, doesn't this sound quite Taoist? ^_^

Be that as it may, I am looking forward to further exchange.

Cheers,

Michael

In our school, it is considered that the principles of Daoism and early Chan are identical, but that does not apply to the latter period of Chan/Zen. There was a lot of traditions in the past that are based on the principles similar to the ones of Daoist alchemy, but there are much less of them today.

BR

Edited by alchemist
  • Like 1

i think the quote makes it clear they use quieting the mind as the method of cultivation. it's the only way to achieve "automatic" progress.

however i guess there is a possibility of me being wrong, not being a student...

the website info makes it look like dragon gate, minus the confucius aspects of DG

..nvm..this is exactly like dragon gate :D

Quieting the mind is a condition of cultivation, but not a method itself. It is a result of other methods.

Wuliupai is a descendant of Dragon gate, but its methods differ. That's because the Patriarchs of Wuliupai also belong to other (non-DG) lineages.

Also, it is worth noting that Wuliupai has no official website in English. The one you can find is semi-official, made by volunteers, and some part of the information there may be incorrect.

BR

Edited by alchemist
  • Like 3

Wuliupai is a descendant of Dragon gate, but its methods differ. That's because the Patriarchs of Wuliupai also belong to other (non-DG) lineages.

Also, it is worth noting that Wuliupai has no official website in English. The one you can find is semi-official, made by volunteers, and some part of the information there may be incorrect.

BR

Ah interesting, good to know!

Quieting the mind is a condition of cultivation, but not a method itself.

I would disagree! :D

I would disagree! :D

I mean it is not a method in Wuliupai. There are practices that give quieting the mind as a result.

BR

Edited by alchemist
  • Like 1

I mean it is not a method in Wuliupai. There are practices that give quieting the mind as a result.

BR

On another note,

I'm interested in the current Wuliupai "master", he must be very interesting! Anything to add?

Thanks. and your English is quite good.

Edited by MooNiNite

Anyway, besides that, I think that visiting USA or Canada can be discussed, but only if there is a lot of interested persons.

Thanks for your answers, alchemist.

I will make a separate thread asking everyone here if they're interested in attending a Wuliupai seminar in the USA, just to see if there is enough interest.

I understand about how some schools don't advertise as a rule, and that there are a lot of false methods out there.

• Like 4

On another note,

I'm interested in the current Wuliupai "master", he must be very interesting! Anything to add?

Thanks. and your English is quite good.

Hi MooNiNite,

Thank you.

The current Patriarch of the School in China is the Teacher of the United Yang (Daoist name). I will publish the translations of some of his texts later.

The Master of the Russian branch of Wuliupai (the one I belong to) is Dmitry Alexandrovich Artemyev, my teacher and a disciple of the Teacher of the United Yang. He translated a lot of Chinese texts into Russian, and I will publish some of these texts translated into English.

BR

Edited by alchemist
  • Like 2

Hi MooNiNite,

Thank you.

hi Alchemist,

just curious, but are there any videos of this master?

Or new articles?

Does this school have retreats in China? If so when is the next one.

Edited by MooNiNite

hi Alchemist,

just curious, but are there any videos of this master?

Or new articles?

Does this school have retreats in China? If so when is the next one.

There are no videos, the School is not that open. That also applies to all kind of public retreats.

Regarding the articles: I will publish some in a few days.

BR

Edited by alchemist
  • Like 1

Thank you very much for your willingness to share translations from an orthodox lineage.

The English page, although not official is very interesting (quite instructive are the translations of dialogues between the Patriarch and some disciples); the Russian pages and forum too but more difficult to read.

We hope to read soon some texts soon.

• Like 2

Thank you very much for your willingness to share translations from an orthodox lineage.

The English page, although not official is very interesting (quite instructive are the translations of dialogues between the Patriarch and some disciples); the Russian pages and forum too but more difficult to read.

We hope to read soon some texts soon.

Hi damdao,

Thank you for your interest. I will publish the first translation this week.

BR

• Like 1

An anecdotal question (and in order to keep going the dialogue while waiting the texts), in reading the Huimingjing 慧命經 we found always references to Buddha (and Eva Wong point out to the Huayen School).

Is there some connection between the Wuliupai School today and Buddhism (be it in curricular texts or any other way)?

• Like 1

"In the methods of the School WuLiu is not only collected all the best from many schools of Taoism, but it also includes the doctrines of Buddhism and Confucianism.

The Head of The School Wu Chung-Xu has explained in detail the general principles of different teachings in his book "Common Teachings of Immortals and Buddhas", the truth of the 3 teachings returning to their unity". Methods of WuLiuPai School took the major Buddhist works such as 金刚经, 楞 严 经, 华严经 and others, combined them with the works of perfect people in each school of Taoism, fused it into a single system, created the original School Dragon gate Teaching of Perfect Truth of Taoism. So the WuLiuPai School does not fully belong to Dragon Gates school now.

Chan guru Liu Hua-yang first was a Buddhist monk, after that he rejected the monastic life and started to follow the teachings of the Tao, he underwent a ritual of initiation into students in the School of the true man Wu Chung-Xu, having received his instructions and made practical and theoretical investigations and testified the identity of the methods of early Buddhism and the methods of heaven small circle in Taoism."

From the "unofficial" website.

"After that, both looked into thoroughly and understood, he wrote the famous work "Book of Understanding Life" 慧命经 and "Confirmatory Teachings of Golden Immortals 金仙证论 (jin from Huayanjin and indestructible body jingan indicate the level of shenxian). The books of School fully include the works of Wu Chung-Xu and Liu Hua-yang, in which are written the most important works of the Northern school of alchemy (the dual perfection of nature and destiny), Southern, Eastern and Western schools of alchemy, as well as school of Zhang Xanfeng and Middle School."

• Like 2

An anecdotal question (and in order to keep going the dialogue while waiting the texts), in reading the Huimingjing 慧命經 we found always references to Buddha (and Eva Wong point out to the Huayen School).

Is there some connection between the Wuliupai School today and Buddhism (be it in curricular texts or any other way)?

Hi damdao,

One of the founders of the School, Liu Huayang, was a Buddhist before becoming a Daoist. Also, there are a lot of references to the Buddhist concepts in the Wuliupai texts.

So there is a connection between Wuliupai and Buddhism.

BR