Sign in to follow this  
niveQ

Cooking Mushrooms

Hey all,

It seems as though I need to add mushrooms into my daily salad. They seem to be abundant in goodness.

Can I have some recommendations from you all, the wonderful members of tao bums that I've come to know and trust, on what mushrooms to eat and how to cook them to ensure their nutritional value? It would be ever so appreciated.

I love you,

Niveq

All of them mushrooms are yin metal energy. Similar to meat, so you can cook them steamed or stirfry in oil or boiled in soups.

Shiitake, Maitake, Enoki, King oyster, white mushroom, portobello, cloud ear (black) fungus, white fungus.

Except Lingzhi (Reishi) which is water energy with a bitter taste and is consumed as a tea brew.

Shiitake mushroom has the highest vitamin D concentration in food if you dry them in sunlight exposed with bottom up.

I like white mushrooms and portobello on barbecue with a pinch of salt & pepper or chilli sauce. also fried in a pan in coconut and /or sesame oil.

Edited by Andrei
  • Like 2

Thank you!

So the stir fry doesn't take away any nutritional or energetic qualities? :)

Nope, only vitamin C is destroyed by heat, nothing else. Chinese cook a lot with heat, actually it is recommended to maintain the balance Yin-Yang, the stomach and spleen likes heat, but depends on your constitutional energetic pattern and environment.

But because they have metal energy they may attack the wood energy so if you feel pain in the liver point then you might reduce the mushroom quantity and increase the greens (letuce, broccoli, kale) and oils too especially olive oil because oils drain the gall bladder. Mushrooms and greens should balance each other (Metal-Wood energy clash).

Edited by Andrei

I go raw whenever possible. Heat can destroy micronutirients and produce carcinogens like acrylamide and HCAs. Just make sure you wash them well.

I read somewhere to never eat raw mushrooms...but can't remember where and didn't really research it further. Fact is I don't like them raw anyways, so I just did what we're all trying so hard not to do and just took it as fact because it agreed with my preconceived notions! :)

I would like to see your faces when you eat shiitake or lingzhi raw :) please post your selfies here to show how you do it :D

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this