daojones

Psoas - looking for some advice

I've been having a number of health issues and my research indicates that my psoas is one of the major common denominators. This was an interesting article I found on it.

http://bodydivineyoga.wordpress.com/2011/03/23/the-psoas-muscle-of-the-soul/

I haven't done any qi gong, yoga, or physical activity in a while and want to start back up to work on my psoas. Can anyone recommend exercises to lengthen and stretch the psoas?

Anyone else has a so' ass?

There are so many: Sun salutation, 5 tibetan rites, Makko Ho, Shaolin Yi Jin Jing, Dao Yin, Tiger Dragon Qigong, just to name a few.... pick one and practice and see what are the effects.

• Like 2

David Berceli's Trauma Release Exercises dvd.

Mantak Chia's Tao Yin dvd/book (one of the few Chia products that I feel comfortable recommending)

• Like 2

the psoas is also a more integral component in breathwork than one might think ;)

• Like 1

From my research, stretching is good but don't only stretch it. Also activate it with very gentle concentric movements.

For stretching, there are many different ways...but just go with what you find on google, and if you feel it stretching the area, you've got a good one. I prefer either standing, or kneeling with a couple of pillows beneath the knee that's on the ground for comfort. Stretching 3x a day, at least 3 reps per side, and at least 30 seconds each rep. Another option for stretching it open is to find someone who does "active isolated stretching".

For activating the psoas, just do leg lifts of some sort, either lying on your back or when upright. Flex the hip without resistance...just moving the muscle through its range of motion activates it. It's not about strength training. If you only do stretching, you'll end up inhibiting the muscle...not good of course, since you want it functioning properly. It should be very awake and active during movement, but also in a lengthened state...especially its fascia, the muscle's covering. Walking will also be good to integrate its functioning into the rest of your posture.

Edited by Aetherous
  • Like 2

Thanks Bums!

Lots of good info here, but I am still kinda confused in figuring out a strategy for dealing with this issue(s?).

It seems theres a combo of physical and psychological stuff going regarding my psoas.

Physically I would venture a guess that my psoas is quite short. In general my abdominal muscles/core is weak. My pelvic area is really tight and so is my diaphragm.

There's definitely related psychological stuff going, but it's kinda unknown to me what is happening. I'd guess theres a feeling of not being able to relax and to always be in fight or flight mode.

In terms of categories of things I can do, it seems:
1) stretch (sun salutations, yoga stretches, some stretchy qi gong)
2) activate (dao yin?)
3) some magic stuff I dont know about/understand? (hannah somatics, feldenkrais?)

For the magic stuff...it sounds like I need to do some retraining of the muscles to not repeat traumatic/stress making movements, plus perhaps something else I dont understand. Would appreciate if anyone could explain the magic :P

Also, does my general strategy here make sense...am I missing something?