Satya

Real Life Teacher: Traditional Seven Stars Praying Mantis Kung Fu

Hello,

You guys are all always saying how good or important a real life teacher is.

Does anyone here have any opinions on Traditional Seven Stars Praying Mantis Kung Fu?

A friend of mine teaches Traditional Seven Stars Praying Mantis Kung Fu. I've gone to them for traditional Chinese medicine before (acupuncture and massage) also. I've always felt great after the sessions and, just being around them, you can tell they have a very calm and calming demeanour.

Due to my recent interest in the Neidan/Neigong Taoist/Chinese side of spiritual/energy work, I asked them if what they taught covered any of the following: Neidan, Neigong, Weigong, Qigong, Daoyin, Taoist Magick, Hand Seals, Star Stepping.

Their reply was that Traditional Seven Stars Praying Mantis Kung Fu incorporates all of those things.

So, I am thinking of getting involved and starting some lessons. They all seem to work together but I think there are some lessons on Qigong/Daoyin/Meditation and some on external movements/Kung fu. I'm thinking of going with both.

Any thoughts on this approach, the Traditional Seven Stars Praying Mantis Kung Fu system as a whole, etc, are welcome.

Thank you for your time.

Satya

Their reply was that Traditional Seven Stars Praying Mantis Kung Fu incorporates all of those things.

I do not think that it is true.

Seven Stars Praying Mantis is martial art, it is not Daoism.

Therefore this style can include Neigong, Weigong, Qigong, Daoyin, but not Neidan and Daoist Magic.

I love Mantis style. Only dabbled in it a bit as my focus was traditional five animals and JKD, but the style has always been one of my fav's.

Congrats on having a school nearby. I wish you all the best in your endeavor.

None of my comments are meant to be contrary. I'm genuinely just asking for my own clarification. :)

I do not think that it is true.

Therefore this style can include Neigong, Weigong, Qigong, Daoyin, but not Neidan and Daoist Magic.

Ok, this was in a brief text, and, there was a long list of stuff, so, it's probably excusable that the generalisation was made (I'm yet to speak in person with this friend, since my newfound interest in the Taoist/Daoist practice side of things).

Also, the person is trained in TCM, massage, acunpuncture and herbology for treatment, and, is teaching Daoist meditation, Daoyin and Qigong separately, so, it could be that they were meaning that all of those things CAN/COULD be taught.

Therefore this style can include Neigong, Weigong, Qigong, Daoyin,

That's a good list on it's own though, no doubt :) . Especially considering my beginner nature in this new endeavour. Enough to keep me occupied for a while.

Also,

What do you mean by this? Is it not based in D/Taoism? I thought Kung Fu/it was? The fact that it involves Neigong, Weigong, Qigong, Daoyin seems like it uses a lot of Taoist language/practices/principles?

Would you still think that it's something worth getting involved in Vitalii? Considering it's an in person teaching (as opposed to the various Taoist and JAJ books and various qigong dvds I'm currently working with)? I plan on still reading/using these materials, but, just thought an in person teacher would be advantageous, especially if they were also helping me with TCM (integrated/holistic practice).

My intention is to use it to clear blockages, overcome mental health issues/fear/anxiety (as an adjunct to the proven CBT approach), strengthen body and mind, and, hopefully help lead to Truth/Tao/Enlightenment. I can see advantages in it for a few reasons. Exercise = great for mental health (proven), the social aspect = great for mental health (proven), the consciousness/self inquiry aspect of it = great for mental health (proven), the only thing not yet overtly proven is the energy work aspect of it, but, this seems to be the main advantage proposed by many spiritual traditions in the various practices, and, I think that it is.

Edited by Satya

I love Mantis style. Only dabbled in it a bit as my focus was traditional five animals and JKD, but the style has always been one of my fav's.

Congrats on having a school nearby. I wish you all the best in your endeavor.

Thank you :) . So, would you say for enlightenment, mental health, strengthening body/mind, it would be worthwhile endeavour?

I think you should directly ask the person teaching exactly what is involved. It is a vicious and brutal martial art - a really good one IMO, although I do know someone who teaches it, I personally have only dabbled in it. GREAT exercise - I think you should give it a go and see how you like it. No one here has any idea what this particular teacher knows - only you can find out. If I were to want to study a MA and couldn't find a Hsing I teacher that would definitely be my 2nd choice.

• Like 4

I think you should directly ask the person teaching exactly what is involved. It is a vicious and brutal martial art - a really good one IMO, although I do know someone who teaches it, I personally have only dabbled in it. GREAT exercise - I think you should give it a go and see how you like it. No one here has any idea what this particular teacher knows - only you can find out. If I were to want to study a MA and couldn't find a Hsing I teacher that would definitely be my 2nd choice.

Thanks for the contribution Ya Mu. :)

As said above, there're the Daoyin, Meditation and Qigong classes and the Kung Fu movement classes. Apparently those integrate together, and, the first lesson for each one is free. So, I can check out what's involved first hand. :)

In a way, they're practically family. They're a partner of one of my closest friend's (who's practically family) siblings, and, the whole family is like a second family. Them and the sibling go to China regularly to meet with their teacher.

They've been doing Kung Fu for decades I think, and, whenever I've gone for TCM treatment, I've always felt great afterwards, and calmed from just talking.

I don't know whether it's because of a general popular suspicion about energetic practices that they haven't offered that type of healing as of yet, as opposed to massage and acupuncture. Maybe now they know of my interest in it, they'll be able to energetically remove some of this gunk that is leading to the behaviours/thoughts summarised by the label OCD.-(Ya Mu, seeming as you're an energy working wiz, would it be possible to get into a PM or forum dialogue about resolving any of that?)

Man, I wish I was that side of the pond. There seem to be loads of energetic masters over there. You, Chunyi, Ken, Jerry, and so on. Or, maybe there're a similar amount over here, and, along with the rest of the USA, you guys are just better at advertising ;) (friendly joke there). :)

What do you mean by this? Is it not based in D/Taoism? I thought Kung Fu/it was? The fact that it involves Neigong, Weigong, Qigong, Daoyin seems like it uses a lot of Taoist language/practices/principles?

Sorry, but it is a very popular mistake on the West.

Qigong is new word, which started using since 1950s.

Neigong, Weigong, Qigong, Daoyin are not Daoist words or language, it is a Chinese language.

Neigong, Weigong, Qigong, Daoyin are generalized terms and names, they can be a part of not only Daoism but also Chinese Buddhism, Confucianism and martial arts.

Many masters of Taijiquan, Praying Mantis fist, Baji Quan practiced only martial arts and had no relation to Daoism. Many of them were Muslims and could not practice Daoist methods due to religious beliefs.

Neigong and Daoyin in martial arts are not the same as Neigong and Daoyin in Daoism.

I agree with Yamu. No way to know how much the teacher has "in his stomach" unless you go find out.

There is some truth to what Vitalii is telling you, but the fact is that the depth of any martial arts teacher's training is impossible to guess just by knowing what his/her style is. One of my teachers has taught martial arts and qigong (or whatever you wanna call it) to whomever has the fate to end up at his proverbial doorstep for decades. These practices were transmitted to him by a master in China who practiced alchemy in private whilst being a famous teacher of martial arts and qigong in public; my teacher recieved martial, energetic, and alchemical training from this master. My teacher's other master was not a martial artist but a Daoist priest and accomplished practitioner of alchemy. Though he has impeccable Daoist "pedigree," my teacher does not advertise his background or even, for that matter, his existence--much of what I know about him I found out over the slow passage of years. You can easily imagine that each of his students learn very different things from him, and many have no idea the depths of his cultivation. I can tell a similar tale about many of my other teachers and my master. So, ultimately, if you want to walk this path, you just gotta jump in and see who's got what up his or her sleeves, and see what your own affinities will call forth. Combining practice, study, and, to borrow a term from medicine, "watchful waiting" for years and years will allow many things to gradually become clear. You may find yourself with one teacher during this whole time, or you may find that this path flings you to the four corners of the globe and back again. No way to know, so ain't nothing to it but to do it.

This path in fact has flung me all around the globe and, while I'm as far from enlightenment as ever, has at least allowed me to live firsthand the kind of adventures that usually belong in the pages of pulp fiction. Not only that, but yesterday on the subway a girl who overheard me talking about medicine interrupted to say that she had a headache that felt like being stabbed in the back of the skull, and asked if I could help. I was able to resolve her problem in under a minute using one acupoint. Later in the day I alleviated a toothache in one person and neck pain in others, also in minutes, using only massage and acupressure. Martial arts practice has unquestionably contributed greatly to my study of the healing arts, and it is a great pleasure to be able to be of service, relieving others of their pain.

Anyway, I say all that not just to brag, but to encourage you to check it out, because you know where I got my very first taste of the Chinese cultivation traditions,15 years ago, including profound, life-changing experiences with qi? Yessir, Seven Star Praying Mantis Kung-fu.

• Like 4

I agree with Yamu. No way to know how much the teacher has "in his stomach" unless you go find out.

There is some truth to what Vitalii is telling you, but the fact is that the depth of any martial arts teacher's training is impossible to guess just by knowing what his/her style is. One of my teachers has taught martial arts and qigong (or whatever you wanna call it) to whomever has the fate to end up at his proverbial doorstep for decades. These practices were transmitted to him by a master in China who practiced alchemy in private whilst being a famous teacher of martial arts and qigong in public; my teacher recieved martial, energetic, and alchemical training from this master. My teacher's other master was not a martial artist but a Daoist priest and accomplished practitioner of alchemy. Though he has impeccable Daoist "pedigree," my teacher does not advertise his background or even, for that matter, his existence--much of what I know about him I found out over the slow passage of years. You can easily imagine that each of his students learn very different things from him, and many have no idea the depths of his cultivation. I can tell a similar tale about many of my other teachers and my master. So, ultimately, if you want to walk this path, you just gotta jump in and see who's got what up his or her sleeves, and see what your own affinities will call forth. Combining practice, study, and, to borrow a term from medicine, "watchful waiting" for years and years will allow many things to gradually become clear. You may find yourself with one teacher during this whole time, or you may find that this path flings you to the four corners of the globe and back again. No way to know, so ain't nothing to it but to do it.

Great post, Walker! My experiences have been similar; although my practice hasn't taken me out of the United States yet, it has definitely taken me places I never would have expected when I started out.

I've also found that some of the words we use frequently on the forum like neigong, neidan, meditation, alchemy, ect., really are just vague symbols that represent different things to different people. Some teachers I've met weren't familiar with these terms but practiced them all the same. Some say they practice them but, upon further investigation their practice seems to be quite different from what someone might expect, knowing only the Tao Bums interpretation of those terms.

Money is not wealth. The map is not the territory. Seven Stars Preying Mantis Kung Fu is not the practice. Only the practice is the practice.

Can ya dig it? B)

• Like 3

I checked, and I know the guy in question, he's a really nice guy.

We became aquainted while studying under the same medical teachers, though his overall knowledge and experience in medicine far outweighs mine.

I can't vouch for what he is teaching ( only because I haven't learned from him), but it was obvious when we did the daoyin related work he knew a thing or too. His background his extensive, and unlike some others is legit and can be checked in China. He is also dedicated but humble and doesn't make a big deal of things.

You can't know for sure until you go see him, but I would say he is most definiately worth checking out.

All the best,

Edited by snowmonki
  • Like 1

Derek Frearson ? If it is he's a really good instructor of a great art.

My friend runs a mantis club up in the north east affiliated to Sifu Frearson.

He is very highly thought of.