Tao of Buttercup

Brain before Heart?

Have just checked my small city's possible Tao resources. Aside from bookstores, there is none, aside from a nod to Taoism at Universalist Unitarian Church (I'm not seeking an eclectic "church", so won't visit).

There is a Zen Center here. But I'm not drawn to Zen.

And with all due respect to its practitioners, I was a bit disappointed to see that its leadership (3 people) are all local University professors (PhDs). Their credentials are "front and center" at the site; a "laundry list" of academic achievement.

Education certainly has its place.

However, for years there's been a strong trend in Christianity for its leadership to have doctorates (wasn't Jesus a carpenter and Peter a fisherman?).

I'm hoping this does not become (or hasn't become) a trend in Tao. Simplicity is supposed to be key.

I dislike the inference that "I've got a doctorate, which automatically qualifies me to be a spiritual leader, and more enlightened/spiritual than you." (...intimidation)

Because that's how I take it.

Some of the most spiritual/kind/enlightened people I've known are farmers and factory workers.

p.s.: Maybe I should add that I have a business college diploma. Which doesn't mean a thing, imo, as regards spirituality. Just my humble opinion.

Edited by Tao of Buttercup

Many of the "taoists" I know, know nothing of the tao.

Yet they practice it naturally.

Remember, the tao that can be spoken of is not the eternal tao.

Taoist's who attain immortality do so by dissolving polarity, quickly along this path one learns to step into the flow of all things without "stepping on toes", so unless it is a part of one's path to teach the tao, one is likely to go unnoticed, as all changes they affect are presumed to have been self-changed.

One finds teachers of the true tao by following ones heart and intuition. One looks by setting the heart with the intent, and knocks by flowing where life leads. One does not look in phone books and knock on doors. The sign posts of teachers are unassuming and their actions humble. They place themselves beneath their students, and thus have nothing to prove to those who come calling and looking for proof.

In the practice of taoist internal energy work, one dissolves polarities within one's self. The heart and mind are one such polarity... you can read my reflections on this here. Ultimately the heart-mind is in polarity with the body-breath, and the two must be dissolved into one. We've been discussing this here and here.

At first the heart and mind are so noisy and full of attachments that the subtler spiritual side of life is difficult to hear, even when we don't chase it away. Once we learn to quiet down and hear this, we learn to flow with the emotions rather than clinging to them.... as we place the emotions in a greater state of peace, we open the door to greater truth and begin to see with great clarity what lays beyond the illusory world scientists cling to.

Beyond any truths, there is the flow of change, and our own unique shape. When through slowing down we begin to understand the unique message each of us faces in the lessons of life, we might gain interest and experience delight in following this path of unraveling these many karmic doors. As we begin to develop greater spiritual clarity and awareness, we become aware of the spirit guides traveling with us. And when we are able to hear them, they can help teach us the particulars we need to know to unravel the higher elements of our destiny.

There is always something hiding behind the noise of our particular tunings and sensory attachments, if we only take the time to listen....

Edited by Daeluin
  • Like 3

One must remember that in the academic world one's degree credentials are similar to stating one's lineage. It's incredibly important to these people as many times it is their life's work and their ticket into certain circles. Do not judge a book by its cover, I have met some wonderful people who are doctors in their respective fields who respected my intelligence even though I only have a GED.

You have a computer - their are online courses and seminars and skype sessions and YouTube.

And their is victim hood.

I will apologize for having begun this thread, and don't wish to discuss it further as there's a long (and unhappy) history of my husband, and including him, with certain University people (professors) here. This is not a friendly town, there's been a malicious gossip campaign to deal with, and etc.

There's heart smart, then there's book smart. These people aren't heart smart.

And I will rest that here. :)

Intellect unbalanced by heart is a vicious thing...

no empathy, no compassion, just robotic left brained assault on anything viewed as 'unlike me'.

However, for years there's been a strong trend in Christianity for its leadership to have doctorates (wasn't Jesus a carpenter and Peter a fisherman?).

And they were often 'mending their nets'... :)