Sign in to follow this  
GrandmasterP

RIP Electric Bike

The battery has finally expired on my electric bike.

Six years last month I've had the bike from new and that battery has been charged every week at least once sometimes twice.

I've done some miles on it too.

£330 for a new battery so have decided to splurge and have the bike pro-serviced as well as a new battery.

Pedalling apart, electric biking must be the cheapest form of power-assisted transport around.

• Like 3

Not so's I've noticed but wherever one stops someone always asks about it.

There's a regulation list of questions.

1: Is it electric?

A= Well DUH! ( It says 'Electric Bike' in big orange letters on both sides of the frame).

2: How fast does it go?

A= As fast as I can pedal down a steep hill or 20 mph on the flat using the motor.

3: How far does it go?

A= As far as I can pedal it or 30 miles on one charge if I only used the motor , which one never does.

4: Where did you buy it?

A = 50cycles in Loughborough

5: How much are they?

A= I paid just short of £900 but they are dearer now.

6: Can I have a go?

A = I'd love to let you but I am running late. Maybe next time.

Once those ritual questions have been asked and answered the electric- bicyclist is free to proceed on her or his way..

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2

They sell them here but they are a bit cheaper than that I think. 900 sounds a lot is it a super delux version?

Kids round here love those.

They can use them on the road a year before they qualify to use a petrol version.

It's the import taxes that drive up the price here.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Once those ritual questions have been asked and answered the electric- bicyclist is free to proceed on her or his way..

I get about the same questions of my Electric Honda Civic Wagovan.

Younger folks want to know how fast it goes and older folks want to know the range (distance) between charges.

Edit to add: BTW A full battery replacement for mine would be $2500.

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 1

Guy here fitted solar panels to his wagovan...

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Honda+Civic+electric+wagovan+image&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=v9DKU56FGqjm7Abm-YDoDA&ved=0CFAQ7Ak&biw=1024&bih=644#facrc=_&imgrc=cpfOb0epaq6Q_M%253A%3Bpjg573aaLQfFSM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fournewsynergy.files.wordpress.com%252F2012%252F06%252F1-b-original-solar-car.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fournewsynergy.wordpress.com%252F2012%252F06%252F03%252Fthe-electric-car-of-nelson-hellmuth%252F%3B2816%3B2112

Mrs GMP less than impressed over the replacement battery cost.

Mrs GMP: "You could buy a new touring bike for that."

Me: " Yes dear but I would have to pedal it uphill."

Mrs GMP: "The seaside is, by definition; flat. Your trouble is that you are a very very lazy man." ( ' man' paraphrased)

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 3

Ya can't beat those Japanese for reliable.

We have a Toyota van, never any problems and sips diesel.

Our other vehicle is a Chevy Matiz car ( Made in Korea) and that's a year younger with a lot less mileage on it than the van but it's a thirsty crock.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Bicicleta+el%25C3%25A9trica+Continente+-

That would be perfect for me to go to the local shop - 14 km. That price seems phenomenally cheap ... for here. They would probably add about another 200% .

Just back from Milton Keynes dropping off my poorly bike at cycleEzee the Ezee Bike UK national dealership.

It's a guy working out of a double wide garage next to his ( rather spiffy) home.

Nice chap too.

My battery was knackered, he put a new one in and that seemed to do the trick so I've left the bike with him for a full service and new inner tubes.

That Milton Keynes sure has some roundabouts, every half mile or so there's another roundabout to negotiate but they all have prominently displayed names so it's quite easy to navigate.

Edited by GrandmasterP

My battery was knackered, he put a new one in ...

Just wondering, is your bike one of those models that when you pedal the bike it is actually recharging the batteries?

No it doesn't and that would be handy for sure.

It has two settings.

1: Throttle ( Switch I) where when you twist the throttle the power is delivered direct to the motor so you don't need to pedal.

2: 'Pedelec' (Switch O) where the power assists you pedalling and only kicks in when it senses 'load' from pedalling, for example going up a hill.

Pedelec mode gives the best mileage and is the setting I tend use.

In throttle mode if you're not careful; from a standing start - it takes off like a bat out of Hell.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2

I never saw these before .... weird!

ryno-monocycle-1.jpg

Things have come a long way.

One+Wheel+Motorcycle.jpg

But I bet he cant change a tyre while riding !

third-wheel-motorcycle.jpg

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

I never saw these before .... weird!

If I was 50 years younger and had to money I would consider getting one.

Wow, very space- age looking.

They must have some sort of built in gyroscopic doohickey like a Segway.

Any YouTubes of one being ridden?

Edited by GrandmasterP

I had no idea that there were so many unusual and weird electric bikes out there!

boxx_electric_bike_2-590x442.jpg

Some just look like a big battery on wheels

manvik-2328245.jpg

• Like 2

If I was 50 years younger and had to money I would consider getting one.

I thought you would have prefered the old style ones ?

Corbis-42-34472094.jpg?size=67&uid=8d1a1

Less than 10kg and with a single 'omni-directional' 'tyre' :blink: hot drive system !

• Like 3

From the looks of that flimsy prototype a jock strap could be slightly more durable too.

Pretty darn clever how it goes sideways though.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Must be Lithium batteries 48v pack for that price. I am going to be replacing the 24v battery pack in mine for right at $100 - I have to do a bit of soldering. These bikes are really neat.

• Like 2

That walking machine is going to require men to wear an up-lift jock strap.

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Must be Lithium batteries 48v pack for that price. I am going to be replacing the 24v battery pack in mine for right at $100 - I have to do a bit of soldering. These bikes are really neat.

Yep they are Lithium 'HiLion' batteries.

Akin to a long series of mobile phone-casing-sized batteries all wired together I was told.

Thing is the battery is a sealed unit so a replacement is all anyone with my total incomprehension can accept.

Bike's fixed and I am off tomorrow morning to collect it.

It needed some other bits doing to it so £395 in total which isn't bad considering the new battery cost £330.

That works out at just slightly over £1 a week 'maintenance' costs since I bought it from new.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this