Tao of Buttercup

Question about Taoist prayer.

I don't pray, haven't for years. For a good part of adulthood I was agnostic. Can't (currently) think of "prayer" except in traditional Western context.

In "The Lunar Tao," its author mentions and recommends prayer. It seems he means this as differentiated from meditation.

I'm interpreting this as "praying to Taoist Deities" as a way to directly touch on Archetypes.

Not sure that's necessary for me, as I think I've got rather good contact in that regard.

I'd be curious to know how others view "Taoist prayer"...what benefits for you, methods of prayer, etc.

p.s.: Ming-Dao Deng mentions not to demand or grovel during prayer - neither of which I'd do anyway. But I'd like a bit of clarification please.

Edited by Tao of Buttercup

Many Buddhist temples east of Suez include Taoist shrines.

Prayers are said and offerings made then the folks go into the Buddhist area and do the necessary there.

You can buy Taoist figurines online and venerate/ pray to those if that's your bag.

Might work too, who knows?

To me, if something isn't part of one's culture then it's an alien 'add on' hence western Taoists and cultivators tend not to go about things in the same way as those folks out East do.

We're born into 'our' culture for a reason and purpose and that doesn't imply turning into a Chinese person , Tibetan, Indian or whatever.

Hope that helps.

:)

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

...To me, if something isn't part of one's culture then it's an alien 'add on' hence western Taoists and cultivators tend not to go about things innthe same way as those folks our East do.

We're born into 'our' culture for a rason and purpose and that doesn't imply turning into a Chinese person , Tibetan, Indian or whatever.

Hope that helps.

:)

I'd like to think I can become more of a stabilizing influence to those around me. Especially in a society which - despite its positives and benefits - seems continually confused, going to extremes, imbalanced.

Have just now checked out some online sites, re - shrines and prayer, etc. Interesting. Likely will not pray, but a small shrine....maybe. Could benefit from visual reinforcement. ^_^ I love peaches and flowers and incense and candles!

• Like 1

I don't pray, haven't for years. For a good part of adulthood I was agnostic. Can't (currently) think of "prayer" except in traditional Western context.

In "The Lunar Tao," its author mentions and recommends prayer. It seems he means this as differentiated from meditation.

I'm interpreting this as "praying to Taoist Deities" as a way to directly touch on Archetypes.

Not sure that's necessary for me, as I think I've got rather good contact in that regard.

I'd be curious to know how others view "Taoist prayer"...what benefits for you, methods of prayer, etc.

p.s.: Ming-Dao Deng mentions not to demand or grovel during prayer - neither of which I'd do anyway. But I'd like a bit of clarification please.

You can find some information about Religious Daoism here and here

For me, taoist prayer lies in maintaining sincerity.

There's an old saying.... where sincerity is, the way is open.

Perhaps one makes some great new years resolutions and begins cultivating sincerity and they begin to change, correcting old habits and creating more harmony. But, as life tends to do in a very natural way, before long these new changes are tested.

So when the pressure builds up, it is an opportunity to break through the blockages in one's energy which stabilized by years of maintaining an old pattern. Usually we have patterns for dealing with the pressures of change, and usually they release this pressure externally. Some of us go drinking, do drugs, spent more time socializing than we do by ourselves, overwork ourselves, move to new apartments or cities, go traveling, overeat, etc, etc. When we decide to release the pressure in this way, we decide to break with our sincerity. Instead of taking our development to a new level, we jump ship, and will need to start over again.

The western advice of not holding onto pressure is good. When pressure builds up, if it doesn't move, it can cause damage. But this pressure provides an opportunity to break through the old patterns. If we summon courage and resist old patterns of jumping ship, we deepen our sincerity and as the pressure continues to build, our sincerity allows us come up with ways to channel this energy in order to break through the blockage. Often once we come up with something to do, it is most difficult in the beginning, but becomes easier as we keep at it, and gradually it has it's own momentum.

Maintaining sincerity is the path of evolution, the path of breaking through the stagnant and nourishing healthy living. When we are able to maintain sincerity in our own personal integrity for a long time, it builds momentum. Each challenge we break through builds skill at breaking through challenges, and before long we find that doors begin to open for us automatically. Life knows we are coming and provides for us.

-------------

So for me, maintaining sincerity is how I pray. I offer respect to the natural forces around me, respect to myself, and respect to my path. I do my best to radiate trust unconditionally to all around me, trusting and supporting all to be natural and right, without judgment. I observe my own nature and tendencies and try to bring them into greater alignment with the principles taught in the Tao Te Ching and Zhuangzi, especially cultivating frugality, compassion, and not daring to be ahead of anything else. Wielding these virtues we flow like water to the lowest point and avoid contention, slipping past conflict and creating harmony.

• Like 3

Quan Yin rocks and she's venerated by both Taoists and Buddhists.

Nembutsu's a nice cultivation too.

Info here...

http://nembutsu.blogspirit.com/index-6.html

You can pick up a Quan Yin or Amida Bu statuette most anywhere.

There are some really nice ones out there.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Quan+Yin+and+Amida+Bu+statuettes+images

Nembutsu has really caught on because it is so easy to do.

Edited by GrandmasterP

You can treat it as meditation in the way that you maintain concentration on the prayer. Sincerity helps attain good concentration! :) (and the other way around too)

Edited by dazed
  • Like 1

Such supplication started thousands of years ago, so it is very old... and even attested by ancient writings.

Deities, spirits, immortals...

Why do you say you have rather good contact?

'contact' is probably a valid form of 'prayer' too.

• Like 2

My new-member posting frequency is still very limited, so I'd better make this good. :-) Thank you for the links and replies. Quan Yin; very lovely, I'll definitely consider a simple yet pretty shrine to her.

Why do you say you have rather good contact?

Synchronistic events I frequently experience. Lucid dreams with easily interpretable meanings. Also, I read about Wu Wei in "The Tao of Pooh" last evening; it seems I've been doing that for quite a while.

• Like 2

Our higher selves live at the bottom of our acquired personalities. Communication with your higher self would seem to be more in line with Dao than looking for something external to pray to.

• Like 2

Thank you universe, Thank you universe, Thank you universe. I am responsible for all actions and situations (life) that I create in this world.

Mostly western prayer is asking for things from an external entity. In god we trust makes humans not responsible. The Tao gives us everything we need so to ask for more is just rude. I didn't know there was Taoist prayer.

What are the monks chanting about in the temples, its a bit complicated but it includes all of humanity and the natural world we are apart of, no matter what sex, race or religion.

What?? men and women are = parts of the whole? What?? I am Nature not separate from it ? What??? there is no hell below us and the earth grounds things out? It just don't sound like western developed religions at all.

Balance and harmony with all things.

• Like 3

manitou, wrapped it all up in a beautiful package, in just a few words. nice job

thank you. we just can't seem to actually touch the flame, can we?

But some develop channels which occasionally shows itself to Arise from within the individual; the words come not from our own brains, but our brains are used as the filter to express from within the Truth, the Dao.

It is seen on this forum, the occasional expression of this Awareness that expresses from the inner to the outer. We see it in each other in flashes of greatness and great words - we are a combination of Eastern lines of thought with Western lines of thought; and people who are learning to use their brains in the sense for which they were developed to this point. To express. To express that warm, empty spot of Knowing that lives within each and every one of us, but divided in form only by circumstances.

We are all spokes of a wheel that lead to the void of the hub in the middle. It is here that we meet and understand each other, in the Void of the Dao, regardless of which paths any of us have taken to happen upon this very place in time with others that are about to grasp the inner channel of Divine Indifference.

That's for GMP. I would have called it the High Indifference but i think GMP's word expresses it best.

Edited by manitou
  • Like 1

Casting of INTENT, manifestation, manipulation of the raw creative energetics. LINKING with Higher Level Self, Harmonic interaction of dancing in Wu Wei

Never beseching of an other entity or lil ol man in the sky.

• Like 3