Sebastian

MCO Practice Times (11am-1pm) & (11 pm - 1 am)

Hey All,

Chunyi Lin states that the Governing and the Conception Channel connect automatically four hours a day, during noon (11am to 1pm) and midnight (11pm to 1am). He recommends practicing MCO during these time windows.

Theoretically, can anyone explain to me why they "automatically connect" (as stated in his Level 1 Book) during these time-frames ?

I guess practicing when they are naturally connected is more beneficial, because it's easier for the energy to go through ?

Thanks,

Seb

• Like 1

Sounds good.

Not everyone can stick to those times though.

Main thing is to cultivate each and every day as close to the same time as possible.

Ten minutes every day beats two- hours when the fancy takes.

Trouble with all cultivations is that the majority of people get bored, fancy a change and leave off doing it or chase after the next new fad.

Hence the endless 'shopping lists' on here and elsewhere.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Thanks, and interesting point regarding the regularity of practice vs quantity.

However, this doesn't answer my question at all.

• Like 1

When it is 12 am, the body qi is concentrated near the beginning of both the CV and GV channels -- the hui-yin.

When is it 12 pm, the body qi is concentrated near the end of both the CV and GV channels -- the bai hui.

In such a way, one might say they are "connected" at those times.

Look at the Tai Chi which describes the cycle of the sun.

12 pm, near end of both CV and GV

Du Mai, along spine 600.jpgRen Mai, along front

12 am, near beginning of both CV AND GV

Traditionally, 12 pm is not a good time to practice. The energy is too hot and may gather in the head. 12 am is an important time, however. The energy is often called "budding yang." Before it transforms into sexual fluid or dreams and sinks down, you can harvest the good energy by meditation or some qigong.

Edited by thetaoiseasy
  • Like 3

Thanks, and interesting point regarding the regularity of practice vs quantity.

However, this doesn't answer my question at all.

Sorry.

I'll try again....

A=

Possibly yes.

Possibly no.

Try those times and compare outcomes to cultivation done outside those times.

The issue such as there is with prescription is that it can sometimes put people off beginning.

HTH

:)

• Like 1

Awesome post thetaoiseasy, thanks.

In my excitement to see your name appear and my scrambling to read your post, I also feverishly pressed the print screen button. Just in case this post was to de-materialize with the morning dew tomorrow....

I guess it was over-kill, but shows you there is market in case you decide to write a book one day :)

You'd probably get the "shut up and take my money" quote from me, haha.

Also thanks Grandmaster P, I agree that nothing beats experience, and this theoretical discussion is pointless without trying it out....

Edited by Sebastian
  • Like 1

When it is 12 am, the body qi is concentrated near the beginning of both the CV and GV channels -- the hui-yin.

When is it 12 pm, the body qi is concentrated near the end of both the CV and GV channels -- the bai hui.

In such a way, one might say they are "connected" at those times.

Look at the Tai Chi which describes the cycle of the sun.

12 pm, near end of both CV and GV

Du Mai, along spine 600.jpgRen Mai, along front

12 am, near beginning of both CV AND GV

Traditionally, 12 pm is not a good time to practice. The energy is too hot and may gather in the head. 12 am is an important time, however. The energy is often called "budding yang." Before it transforms into sexual fluid or dreams and sinks down, you can harvest the good energy by meditation or some qigong.

Wonderful post, TaoIsEasy. Maybe it's just as simple as the magnetics of the alignment of the moon and sun at the mid points of the day and night, regarding the qi and kundalini spirit. Looking at the taiji symbol, it would appear that the sun (or white circle) is contained within the night, and vice versa. Sometimes I wonder if this arrangement doesn't help create the setup for perpetual motion; one being yang, the other being yin. Just an intuition...

Edited by manitou

Hey, great thread!

I'd like to add a corollary question:

11:00 P.M. to 1:00 A.M. is the most yin part of the day, called hour tsu. When we in the west have daylight saving time, does hour tsu begin an hour later, thus 12:00 a.m. to 2:00 a.m?

" I met a German girl in Sweden who was going to school in France, and we danced to Mississippi at an Alpha Kappa dance..."

Ya recon which time zone would be best to practice in? The person who met the girl was from USA with a totally different time zone. So they couldn't practice together? It would be WRONG??? (ya, I know what TCM says about it) By the way, is that daylight savings time?

BEST to practice LISTENING and practice during THAT time. By the way, depends on what one is practicing. Many systems the MCO is auto triggered and one doesn't need to worry about it. Be a natural person, a real person, and practice accordingly instead of artificially. TIME - throw it out! It's 5 o'clock somewhere!

• Like 4

Good point Michael, haha, always keeps us in check.

Well I tried it out nonetheless, so here is a trip report.

1) 11:30 pm to 12:00 am : 30 minutes of GOT 1 to get the Dan-Tian filled with warmth and qi

2) 12:00 am to 12:20 am : Golden Fluid Returns to Dan-Tian mediation, basically removes ren/du obstructions and completes MCO with saliva. Includes tapping heavenly drum, massaging kidneys, etc..

3) 30 Minutes of MCO with reverse Taoist breathing and visualization.

Result: Magneto.

I've been able to suck in large metallic objects to my energy field, even though I wasn't accounting for the daily savings time in Taiwan.

OK, real result: I feel that I've been through more clearings and blockages than usual, as I was moving, shaking a lot. I didn't feel drowsy too, and felt pretty solid waking up.

I really have to reiterate ya mu's post and want to stress that pedantry is more hindrance than benefit in all things qigong related. Breaking Qi flow down to a minute or 30 minute timeslot is counter to the nature of gradual change.

Time of year and your positioning on planet earth affect the clock in a big way, but also our individual situations all vary. We all have blockages and these interrupt the flow. So, a one size fits all formula is a blind alley for most of us.

My summary:

Meditate when it best fits your schedule and produces the best results. And don't be afraid to think out of the box, experiment now and then.

" I met a German girl in Sweden who was going to school in France, and we danced to Mississippi at an Alpha Kappa dance..."

Ya recon which time zone would be best to practice in? The person who met the girl was from USA with a totally different time zone. So they couldn't practice together? It would be WRONG??? (ya, I know what TCM says about it) By the way, is that daylight savings time?

BEST to practice LISTENING and practice during THAT time. By the way, depends on what one is practicing. Many systems the MCO is auto triggered and one doesn't need to worry about it. Be a natural person, a real person, and practice accordingly instead of artificially. TIME - throw it out! It's 5 o'clock somewhere!

I really have to reiterate ya mu's post and want to stress that pedantry is more hindrance than benefit in all things qigong related. Breaking Qi flow down to a minute or 30 minute timeslot is counter to the nature of gradual change.

Time of year and your positioning on planet earth affect the clock in a big way, but also our individual situations all vary. We all have blockages and these interrupt the flow. So, a one size fits all formula is a blind alley for most of us.

My summary:

Meditate when it best fits your schedule and produces the best results. And don't be afraid to think out of the box, experiment now and then.

Thanks for all of the responses. The reason why I find it so important to know when hour tsu begins, and even taking into account things like daylight saving time, is because I've been reading Taoist Yoga and that text highly stresses the importance of meditating during hour tsu. TY even goes so far as to say that practicing the mco is ineffective if not done during hour tsu!

It goes further, saying that the mco should only be practiced after you get a non-sexual erection at hour tsu.

With careful studying of TY, it says that when one is cultivating nature in the upper tan t'ien with an absolutely still heart (mind), eventually the positive principle will manifest causing a non-sexual erection. This erection is necessary to achieve before practicing the mco; the problem is that it can happen at times other than the hour tsu. But it is only when it happens during hour tsu that the positive principle sparks, which enables the practiser to begin doing the mco.

That's why I think it's necessary to know exactly when hour tsu begins in my time zone, and why I take into account things like daylight savings time.

But maybe l'm mistaken, or I'm overthinking it, or maybe these are things which will become clear to me when I am finally able to achieve these steps.

Edited by Neophyte

Hi Neophyte,

I'm no expert, but I'd say just use common sense. When perfectly healthy, a human being's energy will follow the meridian clock, more of less of course because of blockages. For example, if you travel internationally across time zones, and you land, then when is tsu ?

Just wait for your three meals to kick in, a regular sleep pattern to develop, and then the energy cycle will normalize again.

Daylight savings time is not something natural, so personally I wouldn't work off a standard time, but rather when your energy body "feels" ready. Try it out and see what works best as Soaring Crane said. These are just guidelines.

TY has a lot of cryptic information. I'm sure it's all good, but I've never had a non-sexual erection, nor really know how to get one, haha. So apparently, he advocates focusing on upper dan-tian first... Interesting. In my system, I always focus on rooting first, dan-tian development, so I wouldn't be able to answer you on that.

HTH

• Like 1