Tao of Buttercup

Older, wiser to truly appreciate.

Hello. I briefly read about Taoism in the late 1990s, but at the time was ... younger, dumber, scattered.

A recent toss through a 4-year rump-kicking machine straightened all that out - majorly.

After truly 100% seeing through my previous social and religious conditioning, a string of synchronicity, and a cool dream about Bruce Lee ... I knew it was time to embrace Taoism.

Am re-reading "The Tao of Pooh" by Benjamin Hoff, and now dipping into "The Lunar Tao" by Ming-Dao Deng. I've also subscribed to "The Empty Vessel."

Oh does it feel good to be HOME. And I'm older/wiser now, to appreciate.

I'm late 40s, married, work medical, am a writer working towards publication (hopefully within the year), reside in the desert SW, amateur astronomer.

I look forward to interactions here.

• Like 2

Hello Tao of Buttercup, and welcome to the forums!

Please take the time to read the two posts pinned at the top of this Welcome page and take a look at the forum terms and rules http://thetaobums.co...um-terms-rules/ This covers all you need to know when getting started.

For the first week you will be restricted to five posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like.

Nice intro -- what do you write, if I may ask?

Good luck in your pursuits and best wishes to you,

SC and the TTB team

Hello and welcome to the forum.

We have all in the past been younger, dumber and scattier. Unfortunately some never get beyond that state.

Enjoy the forum and best wishes,

Chang

• Like 1

Nice intro -- what do you write, if I may ask?

Thanks for those welcoming messages, soaring crane and Chang. I will read the Terms & Rules.

My first story (hope to be published within a year) is a psychological thriller set in modern time.

Second story (entirely written but not yet edited) is a dystopian sci-fi adventure set in year 2622; involves both Mars and Earth.

Third story (began writing it two months ago) is a philosophical drama set in 1767 France.

Fourth story (to begin later!) will be a philosophical tale about the pathologies of certain Western thought; what I've seen (and rejected).

Fifth story (...if I get there!...) will be an erotic thriller set in a future city/place.

• Like 2

Younger n Dumber.

Man - those two walk hand- in-hand.

We've all been there.

Welcome to TTB.

:)

Edited by GrandmasterP

Thank you, Grandmaster P.

I'll share my Bruce Lee dream. Occurred early last week. I'd been on a (Western) Pagan path for some time (along with recent major personal upheavals, insights, etc). I'm also well-read in Jungian psychology. A synchronicity recently occurred of a specific name (Maud[e]), a dragon, a pearl, and the Child archetype. I figured this was all within a Western context (and didn't then know the English story of "Maud and the Dragon").

What a surprise, then, to dream last week of going into my local public library, sitting, and soon noticing someone nearby. Bruce Lee! I was understandably shocked. We talked, and I told him that Brandon's death had saddened me.

Bruce is the Dragon.

Brandon is his Child.

After "seeing through" various Western pathologies, I understood that my unconscious mind was signaling me to embrace Taoism. And here I am. ^_^

• Like 3

Really?

I found the dream significant, and two people are making fun? Ha ha...Elvis and Buddha!

I'll do some reading around this board, and then decide if I'll continue on.

Well if it turns out to be buddha... you know what you have to do ....

Not in a library.

There are rules for library users and 'killing the Buddha' is right up there with talking.

Not the done thing at all.

You could be asked to leave.

• Like 1

Thanks for those welcoming messages, soaring crane and Chang. I will read the Terms & Rules..... Fifth story (...if I get there!...) will be an erotic thriller set in a future city/place.

>bows<

Very impressive! I've got a good half-dozen first chapters (and about 4 second chapters) up for sale, cheap! :)

PS -- don't take humorous replies too seriously, k? Your post was a short anecdote and you didnt go into the profundity in detail. I honestly found it interesting, but also entertaining, and didn't realize it meant so much to you. If you write more about it, and make it clear how seriously you view it, you'll attract a different class of replies. But I'd suggest doing that in a more appropriate forum than the welcome wagon :)

• Like 1

Welcome! I love the buttercup persona, and the story of what turned you to seek out taoism. I hope you are able to go much deeper in the following of your tao.

I'm a little new to posting here myself, and I'm learning a few things about this community. I've browsed for years, but didn't start posting until most of my tao questions where answered. Mostly my questions were answered by studying life, reading the taoist classics and applying their principles to life all around me, and by exploring qi gong practices with a teacher my intuition led me to trust deeply enough to surrender to. Now I find it very useful to refine my understanding with discussion. For a beginner though, you should know that many of us have our own unique take on taoist teachings, and often disagree with each other.

This is all part of the beauty of the tao, in my opinion. We each have our on unique nature and perspective, and thus our understandings are sometimes very unique as well! If we attach to much too there being a "right" or "wrong" way we might bump heads with others. But if we take what is right to be what is right in front of us, and trust that the way will unfold for us with greater clarity in time, the we create harmony with others.

There are many shades of gray to the tao, but we often want to live in a black and white world. The more we surrender to there being absolutes, the more we are able to merge seamlessly with the flow of all around us. Taoist masters (immortals), often go completely unnoticed, as though they are invisible. They make no deliberate actions, and yet their high virtuous attainment radiates out from them, nourishing everything they pass with the breath of life and harmony.

I believe we are all destined for this, and are walking in their footsteps even now. Many lives may pass, each one cultivating greater harmony and contributing to the evolution of the planet and the universe.

Blessings to your way!

Edited by Daeluin
  • Like 4

Thank you, Daeluin. I agree, and especially your emphasis on "gray" vs "black/white."

Without going into detail (time, complexity), the past 4 years has been very crushing and painful; life and realizations. Various Western pathologies which I finally "saw through" (which is not to say the West is entirely bad). Ongoing (feeding upon itself) social- and self-defeating patterns which Westerners try to help each other out of...which is like sick people trying to "doctor" each other. Unfortunately! I do not say this judgmentally, but SADLY.

The Bruce Lee dream was significant because (I take Jungian psychology, [significant] dreams, and synchronicity seriously), this was a "tap on the shoulder" of Hey...remember Tao?

I do not believe the spirit of Bruce Lee visited me. The dream was symbolic of course, and he (and Brandon) the most fitting motif.

I was like, "Wow. That's why 'dragon' and 'pearl' welled up from the unconscious shortly before the dream."

The dream signaled: Remember Tao? Here is where you're meant to be; now you're truly ready (maturity, hard-gained wisdom) to embrace Taoism.

Definitely am reading. Also, husband and I plan to take a trip to San Francisco in 2015 or 2016, to visit its Chinese district.

Edited by Tao of Buttercup
  • Like 2

There are many shades of gray to the tao, but we often want to live in a black and white world. The more we surrender to there being absolutes, the more we are able to merge seamlessly with the flow of all around us.

very lovely :-)

(I'm assuming you meant to write 'no' absolutes)

I've been young and dumb fairly recently, and so I also applaud your piercing of the transgressions against the Self stage. Those who die can never truly be killed. We rise again and again like lions.

Welcome, brother.