TaoMaster

What exactly is the mind and where is it located ?

Folks:

Mind is everywhere and is Everything. Mind Is.

The brain is not where the mind is located.

Indeed.

Edited by balance.
  • Like 1

light and dark are two poles of the same spectrum. when you remove the spectrum of light and dark both will vanish from existence. no darkness and no light .

there can be no light without dark and no dark without light.

light+ is yang+, dark- is yin- . pretty simple Yang always precedes yin but it happens virtually in an instant.

light><dark ...... like my avatar :)

theres no need no value in the little black and white circles within each half.

in order to have an absoluteness there must be an inabsolutness.

the yang+ >< yin- symbol is absolute perfection ( yang+ ) and inperfection ( yin- ) are all things inperfect that oppose perfection. .

• Like 1

All specific qualities that can be either experienced or not are relative and are mutually defining, just as Laozi said.

Edited by goldisheavy

All specific qualities that can be either experienced or not are relative and are mutually defining, just as Laozi said.

same- difference+ :)

The mind that thinks it knows what mind is does not know these things.

The mind is a created thing that does not know . But rather its known by its creator .................life, the creator of all things. Life is spiritual in nature. :)

its creator of all things that put the mind there and its the creator who will vanish it . :)

• Like 1

Take away light, and there is darkness. A shadow is a form of darkness. Darkness itself is non-finding of light (and vice versa, light is non-finding of darkness). So you can only experience darkness if you know what light is like.

The brain is not where the mind is located.

darkness may be frequencies of light we can't perceive

edit: in my experience, the brain is not the mind and certainly does not generate it... the brain is in the mind and it tunes into it like a radio.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 1

I don't mind you doing so MH. After all..... Silence is golden. :)

No matter what the post, one can always rely on the maxim: "Those who know say nothing."

We are all fools and having much fun, before we get to the big bang!

• Like 1

edit: in my experience, the brain is not the mind and certainly does not generate it... the brain is in the mind and it tunes into it like a radio.

I like the homunculus theory which says that we have miniature replications of reality regarding physical body parts and their locations. Sensory motor cortex, and pre-motor cortex, or somesuch. I am eating lucky charms, but not actually seeing, feeling, tasting any of the sensations directly, merely experiencing a translation of the actual - a symbolic representation.

However, I also believe that we send energy outwards in some sense, that we are not just receiving something, but actually sending out 'senses' to objects. This is why you can sense when someone is staring at the back of your head, and so forth. Energy out, energy in. All electrons travel, all the time - everywhere!

• Like 2

as above, so below has always been a mantra for me.

as a child, I would draw pictures of planets, orbited by smaller planets, orbited by smaller planets until they were unitelligible... then one day I got to astronomy class and went... COOL....

then another day some time later I got to physics class and atoms were introduced and I went :blink: whoa... same shit, different scale.... :D AWESOME!

• Like 2

Another way to describe is:

The end result of the processes and architecture that produce mind is energy plain and simple. Energy in patterns of vibration, creating sense objects, which are organized into coherent patterns which become recognized, assimilated into symbology and relationship modeling. Thus mind is the parser of this information and creates linked association, recognition, meaning and all that other fun stuff - which is presented to awareness at the reflexive center. Mind is the organization/organizer of energy inputs, transmitting not only the reflection of reality, but categorizing, labeling, comparing, and relating the sense objects to known series of formats, which have been hard-wired (neurons, etc.). When an input resembles a certain series of organized, remembered processes, datum, relationships, etc. the mind activates the associated area and all accompanying sets of appropriate reactions to the sense stimuli.

It is a versatile piece of equipment, but somewhat limited in novel situations. It often uses a 'best fit' model.

Then there are the other types of minds besides the right/left conjunction....that's what I am interested in. Groupmind expressions, things resembling networked individual units....the combined mind that exists in the air and the electromagnetic sea, even the stars....

• Like 1

What exactly is the mind and where is it located ?

Everything and Nothing, Everywhere and Nowhere.

• Like 1

whats the difference between the mind as you describe it and our conscious ?

is the mind conscious?

can you describe with more details ? :)

Good question.

Conscious...this means that you are aware of what is going on.

The "mind" lacks this more refined definition. It's a word which is often thrown about without much thought - how ironic!

The only thing that suggests it being the same thing is if we use the terms mindful/mindless. One is conscious awareness, the other is the opposite. Regardless, there are always thoughts happening, whether we're mindful or mindless, and they affect us emotionally and physically. And they are happening with zero control from us!

These physical triggers I speak of happen within the brain...

Edit: So I was using the word "mind" very loosely...as a figure of speech: the mind is already made up before we even realise it (conscious of it)

So as that completely contradicts what I wrote above, it looks to devalue the term "mindfulness". Back to what I said about "mind" being a very vague term...perhaps we should just use the word "consciousness" instead...

Edited by Rara
  • Like 1

When I think about the mind, my head aches.
When my consciousness bothers me, my heart beats faster.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 2

Thx Rara,

It's not an easy question to answer. Like let's say , how old are you or are you a man or a woman or do you live in china or USA.

I read so many others posts and articles around the world where others have completely got it misdefined.

The word defined is derived from the word definition.

From definition we get the word definite and from that word finite

It's like if I tell you a story about a dog chasing a cat up a tree , and you tell someone the story and they tell someone the story , but the time it gets to the 100th person the story is completely different than how it started out to be . Maybe even the cat chasing the dog up the tree.

The current definition of the mind seems to be a combination of spiritual and physical.

The word psychology means the study of the spirit but over the years it has degenerated into something that has nothing to do with spirituality . In the USA it's just another way to make a fast buck from others who are in mental pain.

Conscious is another word with the same meaning as awareness, correct.

Mindful and mindless is another word for careful and careless.

Im not one to consider accidents as a true incident . Nor coincidence. Nor subconscious.

Subconscious is just not knowing or unaware and these are choices we make . No problem there.

Accident and coincidence as well . Same thing.

We can act and be unaware of our actions but that does not excuse us from not being responsible for them .

I've spent much of my life time being unaware of things I'm aware of now and I'm sure there is allot I'm not aware of that I do today .

For me it's more like doing something and not assigning a reason why for doing it and then not knowing I've done it . ( after )

That's how I define subconscious.

We can know just as easy as not know

We can hate just as easy as we can love

We can sleep just as easy as we can be awake

We can understand just as easy as misunderstand

We can get up just as easy as sit down

We can speak just as easy as we can be silent.

Some of us can and some of us can not

Some of us want to and some of don't

Some of is must and some of us must not.

Life is very simple but it becomes complicated and confusing when the definitions are misdefined.

Good question.

Conscious...this means that you are aware of what is going on.

The "mind" lacks this more refined definition. It's a word which is often thrown about without much thought - how ironic!

The only thing that suggests it being the same thing is if we use the terms mindful/mindless. One is conscious awareness, the other is the opposite. Regardless, there are always thoughts happening, whether we're mindful or mindless, and they affect us emotionally and physically. And they are happening with zero control from us!

These physical triggers I speak of happen within the brain...

Edit: So I was using the word "mind" very loosely...as a figure of speech: the mind is already made up before we even realise it (conscious of it)

So as that completely contradicts what I wrote above, it looks to devalue the term "mindfulness". Back to what I said about "mind" being a very vague term...perhaps we should just use the word "consciousness" instead...

• Like 1

When I think about the mind, my head aches.

When my consciousness bothers me, my heart beats faster.

Hey Chidragon,

I didn't include you in a multipost reply on my last post because you posted after I had started it . In case the mods want to know.

But do this next time you're in pain.

Go to a room with silence and no others .

Sit down and focus on the feelings of discomfort with your eyes closed.

Then put those unpleasant feelings around you 360 over and over again until it either goes away or lessens .

If it just lessens, get a drink of water , come back in a few minutes and continue over and over.

Sometimes it will vanish after a few seconds. Sometimes a few minutes, sometimes not, but it's worth trying.

Hi TaoMaster...

I will reply eventually, got a very busy 10 days ahead of me but will find time at some point :)

Hi TaoMaster...

I will reply eventually, got a very busy 10 days ahead of me but will find time at some point :)

ok no worries ill be here when you do :)

first off to the mods who asked me to use the multi quote feature. I will try but some times I read others posts and dont feel like comentiong on them or replying to them and then latter when re reading them , i have a reply i want to share . its a timing thing but whenever i can, i will most certainly use the multi quote . Unfortunatly this is not one of them so sorry to say ..

so in reply to ST

light and darkness are in fact the same item like youve mentioned as darkness being a frequency of light we can perceive. YES yove got it . :)

look at light as having a dimmer switch to dim a light bulb.

the frequency of light is the highest when the light is the brightest and its viritually off when the frequency is the lowest .

when we remove the light dark dual package , theres no light and no dark . Theres nothing. :)

like wise when you remove the darkness , theres only light .

light is yang dark is yin .

yang always comes first :)

thx for your post :)

• Like 1

From Secret of the Golden Flower chapter three:

Stopping and observing are inseparable; they mean concentration and insight. When thoughts arise, you don't need to sit still as before, but you should investigate this thought: where is it? Where does it come from? Where does it go? Repeat this inquiry until you realize it cannot be grasped, then you will see where thoughts arise. After that you don`t need to seek out the point of arising any more. Having looked for my mind, I realize it cannot be grasped; I have pacified your mind for you.

20. This is right observation. What opposes this is incorrect. Once one realizes it cannot be grasped, one still continuously practices stopping, followed by observing, practices observing followed by stopping. This is the double cultivation of stopping and observing. This is turning the light around.