Sign in to follow this  
mantis

krill oil

supposedly this stuff beats fish oil completely out of the water in both, omega-3's and antioxidants. what do you guys think?

I think someone is ripping you off. Check the labels. EPA and DHA content per serving size must be clearly labelled, just compare amounts. You want the smallest volume with the largest EPA and DHA concentration for the purest product.

well currently my fish oil product is 650mg epa and 450mg dha for 2 capsules, that is the highest i've yet to see.

no i wasn't going to buy any but i read (via google and someone) that krill oil is better and has more omega-3's and antioxidants.

No, it's not better than ultra-refined fish oil. People taking fish oil should take antioxidants, but separately.

No, it's not better than ultra-refined fish oil. People taking fish oil should take antioxidants, but separately.

My oppinion:

ultra refined fish oil is not so good.

The ultra-refined stuff is usually animal feed grade oil purified further. You can get high density, top quality Norwegian fish oil (that is tested batch by batch for no metal contamination) and for me this had a much more pronounced and immediate effect.

Also cod liver oil is better than 'fish oil' (unless you take huge amounts, because you'll overdose on vit A) - you get non synthetic vit a and vit d - which is great for so many things. Also make sure you dont go for the 'high strength cod liver oil' - which is usually the low quality oil which is ultra-refined and then has some synthetic vit a and d added. you'll notice in these cases that there is an exact 100% of the recomended daily allowance in one serving.

I am using "ultra-refined" simply to refer to the concentration, not the processing method. I stay away from pushing a particular brand. Always good to hear feedback about specific brands, though.

Do NOT take any sort of cod liver oil at the dosages I recommend for fish oil. That would not be safe, I am recommending VERY high doses of fish oil.

Carlson's lemon is good.

How's the taste? More importantly, how's the aftertaste?

I bought some plain cod liver oil. Who cares about the taste, I thought, I like fish anyway - I even buy the dried fish from the Oriental grocer to eat like beef jerky.

Boy, was I wrong. The taste isn't bad, but the aftertaste/aftersmell ... whew! I can't seem to take it without getting at least a teeny drop on my lips, and that stuff stays with me for hours. That which is tolerable for a few minutes gets downright nauseating eventually. This is one time when my acute sense of smell does not seem like a gift.

Sign in to follow this