Tibetan_Ice

Pictures of rainbow body, footprints in stone

I just came across this Dharma Wheel thread in which many are showing great disrespect for Rachel Olds. Several have condemned her to hell. At least she put in the effort for almost a decade unlike most so called Buddhists.

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=16417&start=40

I believe one person mentioned that she may potentially, theoretically, (in their opinion) have an adverse reaction to the bardo... that species of confusion and fear etc., was termed as 'hell'... but that is hardly condemning someone to hell in the Judeo-Christian sense you would associated a 'condemnation to hell' with.

Edited by asunthatneversets

I believe one person mentioned that she may potentially, theoretically, (in their opinion) have an adverse reaction to the bardo... that species of confusion and fear etc., was termed as 'hell'... but that is hardly condemning someone to hell in the Judeo-Christian sense you would associated a 'condemnation to hell' with.

Buddhists have been using the term 'hell' for some time so why not change it to a more suitable translation. Moreover, the translations given are poorly worded and are trapped in the context of another culture. E.g. the incessant parroting of 'emptiness' and 'no self' indicates a lack of critical thought processes to defend what one writes. The repetition of these phrases indicates to me the lack of direct experience.

I am not in any way naive as to Buddhist teachings.

Edited by ralis
  • Like 1

Buddhists have been using the term 'hell' for some time so why not change it to a more suitable translation. Moreover, the translations given are poorly worded and are trapped in the context of another culture. E.g. the incessant parroting of 'emptiness' and 'no self' indicates a lack of critical thought processes to defend what one writes. The repetition of these phrases indicates to me the lack of direct experience.

I am not in any way naive as to Buddhist teachings.

Use of terms like 'emptiness' and 'no self' (though I don't use 'no self' often), certainly do not indicate a lack of critical thought processes or a lack of direct experience.

Some individuals with a great amount of experience may use those terms, and that does not negate their experience. Surely there are some who lack any experience and evoke those same terms, but saying that everyone who uses those terms falls under the same umbrella of lacking critical thought processes and/or direct experience is no doubt an inaccurate and misrepresentative assessment, not to mention unfair. It is tantamount to saying all dogs are dangerous, because there are some who can be.

If anything you, yourself appear to have an issue with these terms, and are projecting that disdain outwards in the form of presenting it to be an objective situation that you are encountering, when you are most likely simply relating to your own contempt.

Use of terms like 'emptiness' and 'no self' (though I don't use 'no self' often), certainly do not indicate a lack of critical thought processes or a lack of direct experience.

Some individuals with a great amount of experience may use those terms, and that does not negate their experience. Surely there are some who lack any experience and evoke those same terms, but saying that everyone who uses those terms falls under the same umbrella of lacking critical thought processes and/or direct experience is no doubt an inaccurate and misrepresentative assessment, not to mention unfair. It is tantamount to saying all dogs are dangerous, because there are some who can be.

If anything you, yourself appear to have an issue with these terms, and are projecting that disdain outwards in the form of presenting it to be an objective situation that you are encountering, when you are most likely simply relating to your own contempt.

I am finished discussing this with you. This is going nowhere.

• Like 1

I am finished discussing this with you. This is going nowhere.

I thought the discussion was semi-productive and constructive even if it seems to be going nowhere, which you may be right about, but we can call it off for now. 'Til the next time!

I just came across this Dharma Wheel thread in which many are showing great disrespect for Rachel Olds. Several have condemned her to hell. At least she put in the effort for almost a decade unlike most so called Buddhists.

http://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=16417&start=40

Thanks for the link. Didn't know they had a new book out. I've added it to my collection.

The mind sure can be cruel sometimes... It's good that the heart is more powerful and can cut the intellect without even trying.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link. Didn't know they had a new book out. I've added it to my collection.

The mind sure can be cruel sometimes... It's good that the heart is more powerful and can cut the intellect without even trying.

Well, there is no doubt that their conduct in regards to this practice is/was very out of the ordinary. I think it is perfectly natural and appropriate for people to be skeptical given the circumstances, and given the nature of the sadhana they have chosen to take it upon themselves to propagate.

Will do.

At any rate though, you've heard the various sayings which come from the Buddhist teachings themselves; the finger pointing at the moon, the raft which is abandoned upon reaching the shore, etc.

Those who turn Buddhism into a belief system are fixating on pointing fingers and carrying rafts around with them.

The system itself isn't flawed, it is just certain individual's understanding and relationship to the system which is flawed, for whatever reason.

The system is fatally flawed when the self-appointed (as opposed to Self-appointed) teachers' understanding and relationship to the system is flawed.

This occurs in all cases if they're not buddhas themselves.

The teaching is not something that is either understood or taught by the the intellect.

I thought the discussion was semi-productive and constructive even if it seems to be going nowhere, which you may be right about, but we can call it off for now. 'Til the next time!

To clarify my position; the aspect of authoritarianism that pervades every Buddhist discussion is inappropriate and serves no one. Deference to the so called higher cause i.e, in this case absolute Buddhist truth, is a means to denigrate and abuse others. Combine that with treating 'emptiness' and 'no-self' as sacred artifacts in which one that incessantly uses such terms is not creatively expressing oneself, but is parroting a religious/legalistic point of view.

The following quote by you was not well taken. Instead of discussing and expanding on said concepts, you accuse me for being contemptuous and projecting. That line of accusation has been used by Buddhist here for years. I am being objective which is the point of any discussion. Every Buddhist that I challenge on this posits the same old party line, with few exceptions.

To clarify my position; the aspect of authoritarianism that pervades every Buddhist discussion is inappropriate and serves no one. Deference to the so called higher cause i.e, in this case absolute Buddhist truth, is a means to denigrate and abuse others. Combine that with treating 'emptiness' and 'no-self' as sacred artifacts in which one that incessantly uses such terms is not creatively expressing oneself, but is parroting a religious/legalistic point of view.

The following quote by you was not well taken. Instead of discussing and expanding on said concepts, you accuse me for being contemptuous and projecting. That line of accusation has been used by Buddhist here for years. I am being objective which is the point of any discussion. Every Buddhist that I challenge on this posits the same old party line, with few exceptions.

There was a poster on one TTB Buddha board recently querying why non Buddhists were allowed to post.

That's about the level of some Buddhabums on here.

I've wondered about the usual suspects.

One is obviously barking mad and deserves our sympathy rather than any condemnation.

One I suspect is an angry teenager or kidult.

Coupla trolls for sure just stirring the pot to get a rise out of anyone daft enough to pay attention to their nonsense.

Not sure that there are any Buddhists as such on here.

Dharma Wheel apart , and the folks there are similar types to our chums on here by and large; proper Buddhists tend not to be nearly so argumentative as some of the clowns in this particular parade.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2

But Buddha didn't have a guru, did he?

He had a previous buddha as a guru in a previous life. In the life he manifested buddhahood he had enough past life experience to manifest it himself. Theoretically, there could be those like that alive today. But the Dzogchen path is not for them. The Dzogchen path is for those who still need a method for gaining realization. Also, these methods are said to be very special way to gain merit of a Buddha in one life, which means the ability to give these teachings to infinite sentient beings. That's what a Buddha's career is like.

• Like 1

CN Norbu does not have a lineage.

Neither did Buddha.

That's not true. ChNN has an unbroken lineage of masters.

Please define the time length of an eon. Whenever I see the term eon, the implication is longer than the present age of the universe. The human species has only been around approximately 200k years.

An eon is one expansion and contraction of the universe.

It matters not as to how one relates, but that doesn't change the results of scientific investigation. The Buddhadharma is based on mythology and therefor is not absolute. No proof whatsoever. E.g. the Pali Canon in no way can be proven to contain the exact words of the Buddha.

It is not based on mythology. It based on Buddha's memory.

An eon is one expansion and contraction of the universe.

You are not willing to put forth actual numbers? What you stated could be any random number.

That's not true. ChNN has an unbroken lineage of masters.

I stand corrected..

I found this: http://vajracakra.com/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=1136

What I meant to say is that when ChNN becomes your guru, you don't automatically become a Nyingma, or a Kagyu, or a Bon, or anything, do you? He is non secular?

I also found this... https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/kagyu/conversations/topics/34218

Edited by Tibetan_Ice

It's a geological term

It is for sure but it does have other meanings too 'indefinitely long' for one...

Encyclo says......

"Although the term aeon may be used in reference to a period of a billion years (especially in geology, cosmology or astronomy), its more common usage is for any long, indefinite, period. Aeon can also refer to the four aeons on the Geologic Time Scale that make up the Earth's history, the Hadean, Archean, Proterozoic, and the current aeon Phanerozoic."

• Like 1

copy-pasting it, whoever hasn't stumble upon it yet, from

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread999026/pg1&mem=

also if original poster sees it: Good job man!

So I just got back from a 1.5 month trek thru India, visiting various holy sites, solitude, intuition, practice, and trying to get to what a friend told me was a fully enlightened Buddha who was teaching at the foothills of the Himalayas, and I found him, here's what he had to say:

(By the way, if you guys want a photo of my airlines itineraries as proof, I can very much offer to post here, however, I think we are all very much very serious practitioners who are at a high degree of maturity, respect, honor, and a certain level of trust. If you still want the proof, let me know.)

So what did he have to say?

Quite simple. He said no matter the path, it boils down to the 3 Dan Tiens. The 3 energetic gateways to Consciousness, Truth, Enlightenment

Upper Dan Tien is Pure Subjectivity, but also simultaneously Pure Consciousness. So there is both a center point or the pure light of cognition/attention, but also it is a spacious field and is what creates the Halo of Light around the head you see in pictures of Saints. Think Buddha, Christ, Various Sikh Masters, etc

Middle Dan Tien is the Source of Conscious, the Soul, the Portal for the head based Consciousness to reach its Source, like a drop of water entering the Ocean, an Ocean of Infinite Light, Infinite Bliss, the Multi-Faceted Diamond, the Inner Spark of Life, existence, Consciousness. The Zero point of Non-duality it is the centerless center. At this point as well, is the Light of Consciousness which begins to flood and change the body. Eventually one reaches the Light Body via a flooding of and living off this light of consciousness

Lower Dan Tian is the point at the very bottom of the breath, when you breath deep, it is the small crack between the end of exhalation, the begining of inhalation. This point is the Source of Vitality, the Source of Beingness, the Unborn Emptiness prior to all things including Consciousness. The void the precedes everything and anything. It is the point where Buddha reached Enlightenment, where emptiness is form, and form is emptiness.

Eventually The upper DT merges with the middle, the middle then merges with the lower, and all 3 become one.

Additionally, kundalini occurs eventually in the path, opens all channels & chakras. He spoke of the Solar Plexus Chakra which when opened, unlocks the rib cage and unlocks breathing. He spoke of an unlocking of the Lower DT where breathing becomes alive and deepens naturally and becomes extremely slow, all on its own, sometime leading to extremely long periods of no breathing at all for days.

He also something very interesting. Speaking of the hundreds of thousands of tiny meridian like channels that flow through the body, all become unblocked with stagnant life force, to be replaced by emptiness, consciousness, and light of consciousness, a process he had undergone and now had access to attainment of rainbow body, but saw in his karma he needed to teach a bit before "leaving that way." Even so, he only sees a few people a week and is very much hidden, saying that only those who are supposed to find him by sheer grace and luck are the one's he speaks with.

Other interesting things he said were that The conscious mind and subconscious mind where directly linked to the middle Dan Tian & Source of Consciousness. So those who use mantra and attention, are getting to middle DT via the channel that the subconscious arises through upon waking in the morning, and falls away to when falling asleep at night.

He also said he has the ability for him as pure consciousness to leave the body at will and see/visit heaven and hell realms of various sorts as well as who is and isn't awakened to a high degree, because you can see their light of Consciousness shining from space and affecting the reality around them like a rock thrown in a pond making waves. Surprisingly, he mentioned the Eastern Orthodox Monks of Christianity as being highly developed and many who are also fully Enlightened. So too are Sufi masters, a large number of Yogi's around the world, some Sikhs, and Masters of various Paths including some new agers who use a conglomerate of techniques to penetrate into the inner mysteries.

He said entering middle DT via mantra/attention, feeling your way into there, was the front door, whereas activating the upper DT and then surrendering so it drops down the spine into Middle DT was the back door. That surrender with minute level of will was the absolute master key key, however that to find the channel where Consciousness can return to its source at the front of the spine was something akin to entering a huge completely dark warehouse and trying to feel your way around with your hands in order to locate a single strand of a spider's web.

Only that the warehouse was the size of your head, and there are ways to turn on the lights, breathing exercises that can be done to activate the spine, and a number of other things.

So I got a transmission from him and it was like everything began to open up. The "strand" he spoke of, I can clearly feel just at the front of the spine and felt exactly how it linked from the center of subjectivity, to middle DT, to Lower DT. It was the most amazing thing ever to get this transmission. I could see this guy completely covered in light, like his whole body was a halo. And from a distance, I can see clearly his field of energy was massive, like a giant warehouse of energy around him, it looked like the mirage you see in the street on a hot summer's day.

The transmission he said he had to do lightly and just enough for you to get a hint of where everything is at because you have to do the rest of the work yourself and plus a few transmissions he did, he literally blew fuses in people and they needed weeks/months to recover. So he doesn't know yet how to greatly control his transmissions other to then give very subtle ones.

Oh, and he's very reluctant to teach. I found him through word of mouth from a friend who is in India on a year long pilgrimage, who has access to an area of the Himalayas where there are caves with Masters meditating in them, being brought food & water by an ancient order/organization of people from small villages who have been donating to those seeking Enlightenment in the caves for over a thousand years now. Some refuse to see or teach people. Others have asked to be completely shored up in the caves with rocks/bricks and not to be brought food or water anymore, only to emerge a decade or two later still alive and full Enlightened.

I only saw this one guy, but my buddy who is there for a year now, said the others he met, he's received transmission from just from being around them, like third eye permanently open, kundalini activation, heart flowering open & the complete disappearance of the I-Self reference structure.

reply to post by Koyaanisqatsi

just wanted to reply at least to this thread, and then I'm off to sleep...still highly resonating in consciousness from the transmission so havent slept in days. So you guys bare with me for replies, might be in another 6-8 hours that I do reply.

As far as this is resonating with me, it's all just mysticism. It's all concepts and becoming. This is not liberation as I think of it.

According to him, it was all the aspects & fruitions of full liberation. At he end its never how you think it would be, so you thinking this isn't how it would be, matches up perfectly with what's said about it.

/>/>
/>

I am not saying that you are wrong, I'm just saying that I don't get what you try to communicate. Talking about liberation can only point to the simple wonder of being and attempt to illuminate the futility of seeking for it.

You can seek for "Being" and find the source of Being within, and then surrender & enter into that source. Everybody is already "Being" but not everyone knows what the source of Being is. 2 different things

Life is not a task. There is absolutely nothing to attain except the realization that there is absolutely nothing to attain. What is sought remains hidden from the seeker by already being everything.

Ummm...okay, yeah good luck with that one. Let me know how that works out for you, maybe it will. But I knw some who have been saying the exact same philosophy as that, reading the same books as that, for 10 years now, and are still wrapped in conceptual/emotional patterns. Whereas this guy said all emotions/thoughts returned into their source and there is only mirror like sky clear perception that is boundless & infinite & percepting itself simultaneously into a Void of Being. Do you have that too?

Looking for being is believing that it is lost. Has anything been lost, or is it simply that the looking keeps it away? Maybe what is sought is already all there is. Perhaps that which is longed for is already constantly happening, it never went away in the first place. Only the seeker did, - to look for it.

Umm, yeah. Neo-Advaita. I get it. So you end up in a non-dual state. The guy I met told me it's not just non-dual, its: Nondual, Dual, Both, & None all simultaneously at the same time. I met many nondualists all saying these same things but never saw this bright shining auras and halos of white light around you guys....but hey, who knows.

he "me" seeks clarity or any formula or recipe which will give the "me" what it thinks it wants or needs. But the "me" not getting what it wants is not the dilemma. The dilemma is the apparent "me". If this is what you like to call neo-advaita, feel free to do so. It still doesn't change what is.

Nothing said ever changes what Is. That's common sense!!!! Interestingly I talked to him about neo-adviata and he said its only legit in dropping people into the middle DT and detachment from mind. Sometimes its just access to Observer which is detached from mind. But it misses the complete cleansing/purging of subconscious/archetypes/emotion, and establishing the other 2 DT's.

I feel like we are going around in circles here, getting nowhere. I can't change how you relate to this things. And I am not trying either. You can't even change your own mind, even if you wanted to. That goes for all of "us". If your mind changes, it's just whats happening, regardless of any "you".

feels like that statement is one big circle. What's the point of it except for it to feed or eat itself? I know neo-adviata and see the I as just a thought. There is detachment from it. There is access to a nondual state, but there is also bliss, light, love & compassion for others, there is more to it then just some nondual state. But its all good. He said its just a pop trend going on right now that will fall away eventually and can only take one so far.

No amount of study, No attendance in any school Can teach one to be oneself. Being is everything, Being any thing in particular is An illusion. (from the Lost writings of Wu Shin)

IS this a concept or do you experience this directly and can pinpoint the exact area for the source of your own being? Big difference!!!!!

Edited by allinone
  • Like 1