Sign in to follow this  
Flynn

Necessary Instruction?

Hello all,

I have read much on this forum and other sources about the possibilities of negative effects of attempting to cultivate chi without proper methods of instruction. However, I like to meditate daily if for no other reason than to relax. I perform the very limited amount of Tai Chi movements that I know, and so far have had nothing but positive effects from these exercises: increased energy, better mood, and increased concentration. Are there any serious risks to this sort of casual meditation without official instruction? It seems that many people have meditated without any intention of energy cultivation for years and have only benefited from it, but I would still like to ask you all if it is a good idea to continue this way, or if I need to seek a teacher?

Thank you!

Hello all,

I have read much on this forum and other sources about the possibilities of negative effects of attempting to cultivate chi without proper methods of instruction. However, I like to meditate daily if for no other reason than to relax. I perform the very limited amount of Tai Chi movements that I know, and so far have had nothing but positive effects from these exercises: increased energy, better mood, and increased concentration. Are there any serious risks to this sort of casual meditation without official instruction? It seems that many people have meditated without any intention of energy cultivation for years and have only benefited from it, but I would still like to ask you all if it is a good idea to continue this way, or if I need to seek a teacher?

Thank you!

YOU ARE TREADING SOME DANGEROUS GROUND AND MUST TURN BACK NOW OR SUFFER IN THE NEAR FUTURE.

just kidding.

;)

it's really the high level practices that need instruction, not the kind of thing that you're doing. IMO too many instructors and "masters" exaggerate the importance of direct instruction at all levels. listen to your body. no one else can be an expert on you.

you could get a lot more out of your practice by getting some solid foundational training, but you're in little danger of actually hurting yourself. direct manipulation of the energy vessels of the body would be another story. there are a lot of nei gung practices that can be dangerous without a skilled teacher, but that's not what you're doing.

enjoy your practice. listen to your body. listen WITH your body.

Sign in to follow this