4bsolute

What Qigong or Tai Chi style is known for it's humility?

I am already aware of the benefits of advanced alchemic practices, incorporating energy what we know and express in the physical as virtues. And so I want to incorporate these energies also in my movement. I want to practice Qigong or Tai Chi to extend what is already known as "The three Jewels of Taoism", the ethics of Taoism, compassion, moderation and humility.

Every individual on his MMA path will lateron discover that in order to further increase and refine Chi, one has to naturally understand and transform all dualistic aspects of his nature. This involves general patterns you see in MMA teachings as pride, the general sense of combat itself with it's offender-victim-relationship and similar.

Since I already am and becoming more and more aware of this all as we speak, realising the benefits of these energies, but at the same time live in a culture in Europe empty of any system that further incorporate these energies - what Qigong and / or Tai Chi style is known for exactly the integration and further refinement of what I just mentioned?

I only know tiny fragments of such teachings from Buddhism, but since we contemplate about Taoism here, what roots can we find there?

Edited by 4bsolute

I am already aware of the benefits of advanced alchemic practices, incorporating energy what we know and express in the physical as virtues. And so I want to incorporate these energies also in my movement. I want to practice Qigong or Tai Chi to extend what is already known as "The three Jewels of Taoism", the ethics of Taoism, compassion, moderation and humility.

Every individual on his MMA path will lateron discover that in order to further increase and refine Chi, one has to naturally understand and transform all dualistic aspects of his nature. This involves general patterns you see in MMA teachings as pride, the general sense of combat itself with it's offender-victim-relationship and similar.

Since I already am and becoming more and more aware of this all as we speak, realising the benefits of these energies, but at the same time live in a culture in Europe empty of any system that further incorporate these energies - what Qigong and / or Tai Chi style is known for exactly the integration and further refinement of what I just mentioned?

I only know tiny fragments of such teachings from Buddhism, but since we contemplate about Taoism here, what roots can we find there?

Duality is often quite pervasive. The above words for instance. "Every individual on his MMA path..." Is every individual on an MMA path absolutely masculine? (I don't know.) As for a system that exactly incorporates this principle, the dao de jing seems to have precisely this in mind. As for a specific qi gong / tai chi system, it depends on how the teacher wields the art. Finding a teacher like this requires refining your heart and trusting it to guide you to where you belong.

The dao de jing shares with us how to find greater humility. It is up to us to put it into practice how we see fit. We really can incorporate these practices in pretty much every aspect of life, from taiji forms to communication to the way our eyes look at people. They say a taoist looks at nothing yet sees all.

In particular, what is raised up can only come down. When we build something up, like virtue, or the power of our cultivated energy, it is when we make use of it that we stop growing it and begin depleting it. This can be as simple as acknowledging our power, valuing it, examining it.... let alone using it.

It is the humility that allows us to care not for the power, and not care to use it... and thus it continues to develop.

In the dao de jing, I don't know if the virtue is described precisely as humility.... I recall it being more like "not daring to come before anything else".

I was told once a master is someone who cultivates and purifies their heart, and then gives their heart to the mother of all. When one offers their all to the tao and leaves nothing for themselves, this may be someone who can be trusted with power. Superior virtue does not act, but works through trusting the dance of the tao.

Edited by Daeluin

I doubt that you will find humility in a particular style. You may find it in a teacher. Ultimately you will have to find it in yourself.

• Like 4

Humility, compassion, and moderation are not inherent in Qigong or Taiji styles.

If a humble and compassionate master teaches you, you will learn humility.

If an arrogant and selfish master teaches you, you will not.

Look to your teacher for teachings!

The style is simply how we wiggle our bodies around.

• Like 3

Humility is learnt from a philosophy. However, there is a philosophy in Qigong/Taiji. What one learn from a teacher is the good habits rather than the bad ones. If one only does as told, then one is not humble to oneself. A Taoist practice the Dual Cultivation of Xing(mind) and Ming(body)(DCXM. If one calls himself a master, then one should have the qualities of the DCXM which should not teach the student something else. Besides, if a student were learning all the bad habits from his/her teacher(not master), then he/she was not cultivating the mind in the DCXM.

At the beginning to learn Qigong/Taiji, the first thing that one will be told by the teacher is not to hurt someone, intentionally, with the learnt art. The practice of the art cultivates the body and mind. The body become strong and the mind becomes humble. The strong is to protect and help the weak. Thus this the philosophy behind the art.

MMA is known by many as Mix Martial Arts.

Edited by ChiDragon

Isn't humility obtained by mindfully going through life, apologizing when we are wrong, allowing others to have the first place, giving someone else the biggest piece of pie, even though they don't see you doing it?

Isn't humility picking up a piece of trash in a parking lot and going out of your way to toss it into a dumpster?

Isn't humility the same as 'not taking the credit' when we seemingly accomplish something? To realize that it's not our Acquired Personality that has actually performed the task, but that which lives under the Acquired Personality?

Is there a tradition that can teach how to get under the Acquired Personality? Is this tradition found in MMA? How incredible, if it is!

I can see where if a pupil is under the tutelage of a teacher, rinpoche, or master - and the student is fully compliant with what the Master says, then perhaps this creates a type of humility if done for a period of time. But does this ensure that the student will be humble in Life when not in the presence of his teacher?

• Like 2

Is there a tradition that can teach how to get under the Acquired Personality? Is this tradition found in MMA? How incredible, if it is!

Yes, it is found in MMA. For example, if you knew that you can out power the opponent and don't want to hurt him, then you just want to give the opponent a clue that you are stronger than him. Let him feel your strength to an extent but not hurting him; so, he'll know not to mess with you. This is what is called humbleness in MMA.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 2

I believe humility may be found everywhere.

But ChiDragon, I feel you attach so much to righteousness, doesn't it get exhausting to defend your position all the time? Why not trust things to be right all on their own?

Posted before about this.

There's a big MMA scene here in the Midlands UK.

Dojos stage contests between each other, those are tough gigs and some of the fighters you'd maybe not want to bump into on a dark street to look at them.

The thing is though that those contests are staged to raise money for kids' charities, they raise a lot of money and do a lot of good.

Those MMA fighters are truly nice humble guys with respect for each and their 'art'

Edited by GrandmasterP

Yes, it is found in MMA. For example, if you knew that you can out power the opponent and don't want to hurt him, then you just want to give the opponent a clue that you are stronger than him. Let him feel your strength to an extent but not hurting him; so, he'll know not to mess with you. This is what is called humbleness in MMA.

Have you found that this humility extends out to all areas of a student's life? Or just on the mat? Of course this would differ from individual to individual, but is there a discipline that stresses taking it out into the street as well?

Have you found that this humility extends out to all areas of a student's life? Or just on the mat? Of course this would differ from individual to individual, but is there a discipline that stresses taking it out into the street as well?

Yes, I would say it extends out to all areas because it is a scholarly philosophy originated from Confucius. It is the cultivation of the mind and, regardless, who the individual was.

Yes, I would say it extends out to all areas because it is a scholarly philosophy originated from Confucius. It is the cultivation of the mind and, regardless, who the individual was.

Ah! I had never realized humility was a human construct. Perhaps feeling it came from nature was my own confusion.

Can you kindly help lead me to greater clarity? I've heard Chinese often view the heart and mind as one. When you say "it is the cultivation of the mind" here are your referring to both, or just one? How might I apply this understanding to greater effect? Is it possible for you to demonstrate for me?

Please forgive my bothersome questions, it is ok if you do not have time to answer.

If a person's ego is in the way of their judgment of a situation, then the viewing person is not going to be seeing with clarity. Ego causes us to 'react' a certain way to protect ourselves. If we've done what we can to tamper down and master the Ego, then clarity is achieved.

There must be lots of ways to effect this change. If one is at this point in their lives and hasn't had to develop a hardened ego, then this wouldn't be such a big deal. But for those of us who have only been exposed to the Western mindset of competition in school, work, and play - then the ego usually is an impediment to seeing clearly.

The mastery of the Ego allows us to act in a 360 degree response - we don't have Ego preventing us from doing something that needs be done, or seeing something that needs to be seen. If we give our ego free reign over our actions, then we have to react in a certain way. We can only react in the manner that our ego will allow us. If the ego has been mastered and can be sidestepped, then we get a full range of reactions, not just 180 degrees.

Mastery of the ego allows us to act with Love, regardless of how the situation comes to us; whereas before the mastery, fire will always be met with fire. Now it can be met with Love instead, and the issue will fall into place of its own accord. There is no face-saving involved.

( Note: This is how it has worked for me, anyway. In my particular case, I had huge ego barriers (due mainly to my lack of self esteem at the time, and also due to the fact that I had been a police officer and developed a real arrogance there.) I had to work on ego issues to stay sober, once I got into recovery. So I am a true 'before' and 'after' picture of ego prior to and after the work that needed done. But perhaps you are one of the lucky ones that has found a way to do the inner work in another way involving nature - or perhaps you have very little ego to contend with from the get-go.) If your clarity is a straight shot down to the I Am, what the heck? Don't worry about it!)

• Like 2

Ah! I had never realized humility was a human construct. Perhaps feeling it came from nature was my own confusion.

Can you kindly help lead me to greater clarity? I've heard Chinese often view the heart and mind as one. When you say "it is the cultivation of the mind" here are your referring to both, or just one? How might I apply this understanding to greater effect? Is it possible for you to demonstrate for me?

Please forgive my bothersome questions, it is ok if you do not have time to answer.

Gladly....

Yes, traditionally, it is true that the Chinese was referring the heart as the mind. It was because, once, the Chinese thought that heart is the center of the body which controls all the functions of the body as well. They didn't realize that there is a brain ever existed at the time. Therefore, they had given all the credits to the heart.

When you say "it is the cultivation of the mind" here are your referring to both, or just one?

It is exactly meant what it says. It is the cultivation of the mind, not the heart.

Cultivation of the mind is part of the Dual Cultivation of Xing and Ming(DCXM) in the Taoist practice. Perhaps you might want to read the translation of the DCXM and come back with more of your questions if any.

Read about DCXM.....

http://thetaobums.com/topic/32653-taoist-important-thoughts-and-canon/

Edited by ChiDragon

I would agree a construct.. which is what Confucian excelled at.

"it is the cultivation of the mind" here are your referring to both, or just one?

Those who talk of 'cultivation of the mind' are more Confucian based and know this is the gate to morality and ethical development.... construct begets more construct...

Those who understand 'cultivation of the heart-mind' are more Daoist based and know this is the gate to the spiritual development.

http://www.taoiststudy.com/content/discourse-upon-taoist-theory-and-practice-internal-alchemy-xuezhi-hu