manitou

A Terribly Holistic View

A new area to post in!

I'm just going to kick this off by discussing my own understanding of Mind/Body/Spirit. The reason I feel motivated to do so is because the phrase 'mind/body/spirit' is such a nice merger of the three things we speak of in this forum.

I've been involved in the healing arts for several years, maybe 7. I utilize a merger of two philosophies - shamanic ceremonies, and the philosophy of Mary Baker Eddy (but without using Jesus as the mediator).

Mary Baker Eddy will tell us that it is all Mind. That disease is of the mind, created by ourselves; manifested because of a myriad of different stimuli throughout our lives. That our repetitive thoughts will draw us to a particular medical condition, and it is up to the Christian Science Practitioner to help the person 'see the reason for the malady', and change its direction. Of course, Mary Baker Eddy in her Christian Science uses Jesus as a basis for all healing - that 'only through him' can the healing be done, according to her system. But truly, the main concern is that "The Truth will set you Free".

As to 'Jesus being the only way', I certainly don't agree with her on that one - but I have found that there are contortions very deep within us that need to be re-imprinted to the opposite, usually. As to her contention that All Is Mind, I can surely understand that. And I fully agree and have found to be dramatically useful in healings the 're-imprint' of a deep memory to change the direction of the patient's manifestations.

How does this work? I haven't a clue - well, maybe I do. Personally, I've explained it to my satisfaction in the following way: Time is totally relative to space. Linear Time is a construct of our own brains. Therefore, if we can transcend Linear Time (by stopping our own thoughts), we can actually change the dynamic (and affect the disease that is a manifestation of the wrong thought process) because in reality "Then" is "Now". I truly believe that if we stay in this consciousness during a healing that it will work. I have had it happen.

If you look at deep memories - childhood memories - it's as though they're a tiny snowball at the top of a mountain. Then, as life goes on, the snowball gets bigger and bigger as it rolls downhill; the small snowball is now a huge snow mass interfering with and affecting everything in the life of the individual. It is this first initial memory that Mary Baker Eddy would have us get to, to change the personality dynamic that's causing the disease.

A large part of this is determining what the disease is trying to say to us. A recent person I worked with had paralysis from his neck down, but what caused it was that he was "paralyzed with fear" for his father, who forced him to enter a motocross race that he was fearful of entering. It was during this race that the accident happened and the paralysis occurred. So getting to the cause of the 'paralysis' (emotionally) was key to his body responding physically. This can be determined by looking at the current manifestations in a person's life and seeing the symbolic dynamic behind it - as to what is important to that person, etc.

The reason my husband and I combine this with shamanic ceremony is to shake up the person's brain a little. If I approach somebody, even if they themselves asked for the healing - there is still a component of disbelief, strangeness, even embarrassment in the mind of the person standing there. But if we encompass the healing within a 'shamanic ceremony' of some sort, this puts their brain in a slight state of confusion (which for healing purposes I believe to be helpful) because of all the weirdness of the rattles, drums, etc. It's like they're no longer concentrating on what Joe or I are about to do, but they've been "transported" to a slightly different realm and seem to be more receptive and less resistant. This is just our twist, but it does seem to be helpful for us.

To determine what the disease is really saying takes a certain amount of triangulation. Sometimes if we don't know enough about the disease, it takes a little internet googling to find out exactly which body parts are involved, etc - and once we look at it from the 'body's point of view' we can see what it's really trying to say to the owner of the body. As we do manifest from the inside to the outside (the I Am consciousness), then this makes perfect sense - that the body has a language all its own, and that Sickness is a part of the language. And yet, it stems from Mind. And it is Mind that must be dealt with.

• Like 3

That sounds like a winning combination you have there Manitou

Gotta be a book in it....

How about?

" Science and Health with a Key to the Shamanic Tradition."

:)

Edited by GrandmasterP

You've read Science and Health by MBE? Or was that just coinkidink?

I was aware of Mary B-E's book title but have never read it.

There was a Christian Science Church near our school and outside they had a sort of glass fronted booth with a new page of the book opened every day plus lots of posters.

That would be a cool title for a book of you could get away with it but I expect the Christian Science publishing house would object as it's too close to 'their' book title.

Useless factoid.

The Christian Scientists claim that Mary B-E was the first woman to found a Christian-type denomination.

That's not so as Mother Ann Lee who started the Shakers predated Mary B-E as did Joanna Southcott who founded the Old Southcottians ( I was raised Southcottian Spiritualist).

• Like 1

A new area to post in!

I'm just going to kick this off by discussing my own understanding of Mind/Body/Spirit. The reason I feel motivated to do so is because the phrase 'mind/body/spirit' is such a nice merger of the three things we speak of in this forum.

I've been involved in the healing arts for several years, maybe 7. I utilize a merger of two philosophies - shamanic ceremonies, and the philosophy of Mary Baker Eddy (but without using Jesus as the mediator).

Mary Baker Eddy will tell us that it is all Mind. That disease is of the mind, created by ourselves; manifested because of a myriad of different stimuli throughout our lives. That our repetitive thoughts will draw us to a particular medical condition, and it is up to the Christian Science Practitioner to help the person 'see the reason for the malady', and change its direction. Of course, Mary Baker Eddy in her Christian Science uses Jesus as a basis for all healing - that 'only through him' can the healing be done, according to her system. But truly, the main concern is that "The Truth will set you Free".

As to 'Jesus being the only way', I certainly don't agree with her on that one - but I have found that there are contortions very deep within us that need to be re-imprinted to the opposite, usually. As to her contention that All Is Mind, I can surely understand that. And I fully agree and have found to be dramatically useful in healings the 're-imprint' of a deep memory to change the direction of the patient's manifestations.

How does this work? I haven't a clue - well, maybe I do. Personally, I've explained it to my satisfaction in the following way: Time is totally relative to space. Linear Time is a construct of our own brains. Therefore, if we can transcend Linear Time (by stopping our own thoughts), we can actually change the dynamic (and affect the disease that is a manifestation of the wrong thought process) because in reality "Then" is "Now". I truly believe that if we stay in this consciousness during a healing that it will work. I have had it happen.

If you look at deep memories - childhood memories - it's as though they're a tiny snowball at the top of a mountain. Then, as life goes on, the snowball gets bigger and bigger as it rolls downhill; the small snowball is now a huge snow mass interfering with and affecting everything in the life of the individual. It is this first initial memory that Mary Baker Eddy would have us get to, to change the personality dynamic that's causing the disease.

A large part of this is determining what the disease is trying to say to us. A recent person I worked with had paralysis from his neck down, but what caused it was that he was "paralyzed with fear" for his father, who forced him to enter a motocross race that he was fearful of entering. It was during this race that the accident happened and the paralysis occurred. So getting to the cause of the 'paralysis' (emotionally) was key to his body responding physically. This can be determined by looking at the current manifestations in a person's life and seeing the symbolic dynamic behind it - as to what is important to that person, etc.

The reason my husband and I combine this with shamanic ceremony is to shake up the person's brain a little. If I approach somebody, even if they themselves asked for the healing - there is still a component of disbelief, strangeness, even embarrassment in the mind of the person standing there. But if we encompass the healing within a 'shamanic ceremony' of some sort, this puts their brain in a slight state of confusion (which for healing purposes I believe to be helpful) because of all the weirdness of the rattles, drums, etc. It's like they're no longer concentrating on what Joe or I are about to do, but they've been "transported" to a slightly different realm and seem to be more receptive and less resistant. This is just our twist, but it does seem to be helpful for us.

To determine what the disease is really saying takes a certain amount of triangulation. Sometimes if we don't know enough about the disease, it takes a little internet googling to find out exactly which body parts are involved, etc - and once we look at it from the 'body's point of view' we can see what it's really trying to say to the owner of the body. As we do manifest from the inside to the outside (the I Am consciousness), then this makes perfect sense - that the body has a language all its own, and that Sickness is a part of the language. And yet, it stems from Mind. And it is Mind that must be dealt with.

The distraction aspect of the ritual is good for so many things as you have discovered.

It is also a way for those attending and being attended to to have their attention on something besides a reflexive inner dialog.

It takes them out of your head, out of "why is this the answer" and allows space for change to take place without immediately labeling things.

Reading ones tarot cards or palm is another way of diverting attention to something while one reads a person - the cards are not necessary nor is the palm, but having the attention diverted is very helpful. (That is not to say the cards cannot be used or that clairsentience is not useful - though both tend to be very programming and I don't much care for them but they can be fun at times).

• Like 2

I was aware of Mary B-E's book title but have never read it.

I was very reluctant to take the time to read it because of the Christian setting. I was very pleasantly surprised to find out that her mention of using Jesus as an intermediary was rather uncommon in the book - and easy to sidestep. I was astounded at the metaphysical depth of her mind. And most beneficially, it takes you directly into the 'healing' mindset - in her case, it's that sickness is an illusion of sorts and she works with the pre-sickness mindset. It's pretty awesome. She's right up there with Blavatsky as I see it.

And Spotless - I agree with you about the 'distraction' aspect of this. We sort of discovered this accidentally, but I liked the open-mindedness that it caused in the mind of the 'patient'. They don't know what to expect next. I doubt that the ceremony itself contains any whoop-di-do - other than that one time where the jagged K-energy came up through the ground, through her legs, and zapped a breast tumor. But in actuality I suspect that it was 'she' that caused this to happen, as opposed to anything physical we were doing in a ceremony.

But I do know one thing. That none of this will happen unless we try. Unless we 'practice' running the energy through our hands. As I see it, we need to be willing to look like an a-hole. I know the first few times I ran energy through my hands, I didn't feel anything. After doing it maybe a half dozen times, I started to feel a magnetic pull in my abdomen when it was running - which was a sign to me that something was happening.

I think the healing arts are a practice, just like anything else. It's just having the nerve to do it.

Edited by manitou
  • Like 2

You can download a great many books from the Theosophical Society for free at The Project Gutenberg.

Annie Bessant is excellent.

• Like 2

For sure there's a vocation to spiritual healing work as 'work' and those called to that work tend to do little else whereas those without the calling aren't attracted to it.

We have healers at our centre mid week and 10 til 1 on Saturdays, their ( free but donations accepted) sessions are always busy.

Maybe we all do some spiritual healing for ourselves and loved ones sometimes though and they for us.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

You can download a great many books from the Theosophical Society for free at The Project Gutenberg.

Annie Bessant is excellent.

Alan Watts too.

Alan lived and died the Theosophist he was raised to be.

• Like 1

You can download a great many books from the Theosophical Society for free at The Project Gutenberg. Annie Bessant is excellent.

I love Annie Besant. I used to go to the Theosophical Society in Hollywood CA. Right around the same time that Manley Hall was giving his lectures at the Philosophical Research Society. Wow, was he something.

• Like 2

The Christian 'Ecumenical Movement' grew from a Theosophist original proposal.

FWBO- later-Triratna , that's Theosophist at root.

Alan Watts Dad was the first secretary and Alan held office at their first London Buddhist Society, which was a Theosophical Lodge.

The Liberal Catholic Church started out as a Theosophical initiative.

Channelling and Ascended Masters plus 'Angelic' schtick... All Theosophist.

For a small organisation the Theosophists were very influential.

Not so much these days but maybe their job 'is done' in a way insofar as their core ideas are now accepted pretty much everywhere even where folks don't recognise the ideas they are boosting as being, originally; Theosophist ideas.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Interesting post, GMP. It's like you finally get to a place where you can sit in the middle and relate to any of the religious or spiritual paths. Just different faces and different perspectives.

• Like 2

+1

That's why I like Taoism albeit I'm not ' A' Taoist ( what is that anyhoo?).

If Tao is 'everything', that sorta sums things up religions-wise IMO.

All the other stuff is just BS, fancy labels, silly hats plus 'gatekeeping lucrative sinecures'.

Edited by GrandmasterP

+1

That's why I like Taoism albeit I'm not ' A' Taoist ( what is that anyhoo?).

If Tao is 'everything', that sorta sums things up religions-wise IMO.

All the other stuff is just BS, fancy labels, silly hats plus 'gatekeeping lucrative sinecures'.

This is why I love Taoism albeit I'm not a Taoist either. i think I love the Taoist way of seeing things because it is nearly formless. The most formless mindset (or in a Taoist's case....'mindflow'!)

• Like 1

" This is how following the Tao changes followers of the Tao: not by whisking them off to a better world, but by teaching them how to see this one differently."

(Chen XiYi)

Edited by GrandmasterP