Trunk

Favorite Bagua resources? (books, teachers, videos, etc)

Two books I recommend that'll give the Bagua practitioner a good idea what this art is all about:

Liu Bin's Zhuang Gong Bagua Zhang, Volume One: South District Beijing's Strongly Rooted Style

By Zhang Jie (author) and Richard Shapiro (contributor)

Link

Ba Gua Circle Walking Nei Gong: The Meridian Opening Palms of Ba Gua Zhang

By Tom Bisio

Link

The second book give you an insight into the connection between the 8 Mother Palms and the internal organs and meridians of energy. It also offers dietary tips following the TCM system to correct energetic imbalances resulting from Qi blockages.

I happen to own both of these books!   Tom makes it easy to understand the theory behind meridians and energy travel.  Also there is an exercise in Tom's  book that made it worth the price for me!  I was pleasantly surprised with the book overall, Tom is an excellent author.

Now about Liu Bin's bagua.    I absolutely adore this book!   It contains some history but mostly focuses on the correct way to step, breathe and how to perform the single palm exchange.  I also recommend the second volume!

I wish to recommend Sun Lutang's  book too.  I have the  Fick translation, most I have talked with prefer the previous translation, but this book goes DEEP.  Just like in real world training you get  out of what you put in it!

Also Park Bok Nam has two volumes on his  Yin style.   They are wonderful, IMO.

Same with JAJ.

I say these books are great because if one has any prior knowledge of the internal arts each of these has more than meets the eye to learn, to cliche it.  For a stark beginner I would recommend  Opening the Energy Gates by BKF.  Regardless of your lineage/style/play/system this book is wonderful for a beginner as the requirements for neijia are layed out in any easy to understand manner.

Edited by spiraltao
  • Like 6

Glad to read you found the books I mentioned earlier useful. Bagua will take you deep and deep and deeper. Mind, mind, mind. :)

One thing, my apologies by uploading the free Dharma book as it is more geared towards very experienced monastics than lay practitioners. Not recommended if you are planning to start, improve or deepen your seated meditation practice. Very recommended to those who are near the final stages of spiritual cultivation (a small minority). Here's one that fulfills this requirement:

Mastering Astral Projection: 90-day Guide to Out-of-Body Experience

Astral Projection, OBEs...How come? Well, I have read the book and put into practice some of the stuff discussed and it truly works. If you remove the direct astral projection component (astral projection will occur whether you want it or not once you become an experienced meditator, the difference is that there is no need to look for these states as they can bring more 'harm/attachment' than 'good')  and some of the techniques discussed in order to attain a conscious OBE, you'll find an excellent resource to deepen your seated meditation practice because of what is also being thoroughly discussed: positive affirmations to attain higher states of consciousness, breath awareness, and techniques to stimulate the energy body in order to remove deep blockages of the mind.You won't find anything more practical than this to supplement your dynamic practice (Bagua). The techniques presented here are purely internal and to be done sequentially. Strip off the astral part and you'll find an excellent seated meditation textbook without the added religious or philosophical terminology.

It's available at Amazon. I have a copy of the book myself and also a scanned version. If you can't afford purchasing it send me a PM and I will forward you a copy.

:)

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 2

The Bagua of Wang Zhuangfei, a student of Gong Baotian (Dong Haichuan>Yin Fu>Gong Baotian>Wang Zhuangfei):

I scanned two pages of the book Infinite Dao relating the encounter of the author with the late Bagua master.

Very interesting.

• Like 2

OQQwHFa.jpg

Picture of how it feels when walking the circle mindfully, slowly, with deep feeling and perfect alignment, stepping and surrounded by the harmony of the natural environment for an extended amount of time (Water and Wood Elements being dominant in this case). Each sphere of consciousness has many, many, many levels, up to 31 levels according to the Buddhist Theravada Tradition. Many "heavens", many "human" and many "hell realms" in each world. We are inhabiting Gaia, Mother Earth in our planetary system, with our Sun being in the centre, but we are only one of infinite worlds. The Tao is at the centre of everything, from which all that is emanates from, the great Source of the spirit.

Peace and happy circle walking. :)

Praying_monk.gif

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 2

Another priceless video of Mr He Jinghan from Taipei:

Very important point when he discusses starting with a wide horse stance to feel the dang stretch well (around 7:30).

Dang practice is vital in all IMA training not just Bagua. He also says that no Dang no Taiji. :)

The Dang is analogue to the arch structure used in construction:

IUwcmKV.jpg

g8yuhaU.jpg

I found these two texts in a blog by one of the senior students of He Jinghan several years ago but I don't have the English translation for them. My apologies.

• Like 2

The book "Beyond the Mysterious Gate" is out of print, so I have scanned some relevant pages that everyone involved in internal cultivation should read. This stuff is invaluable. Very practical and useful to everyone not only Bagua practitioners.

Let me add a title to those pages:

Bagua, life and the mind.

I wish you all the very the best in your practice.

:)

Great excerpt!  Yes, it takes conscious effort to (physically, emotionally, mentally, etc) unbound our Divine Nature which is effortless power...  That is basically "gong fu" in a nutshell.

• Like 1

Glad to read you found it useful. Our true nature is a simple drop in the vastness of the great manifested Spirit.

drop_in_the_ocean.jpg

Consciousness/spirit merging with the Tao.

The journey is indeed long, it seems that never ends, so many life cycles. And Bagua reveals it all, practiced simply, no forms, just simple circle walking, one palm and amongst the trees. Return the spirit to its natural state but the process is not easy since there is an inner struggle (the Theravada order of Buddhism calls is a constant conflict until all defilements are removed from the mind) between the pull of Yin (Earth, spirit embodied in a form, human in this case) and the natural tendency of Yang to ascend, and humanity in the middle. Very painful and slow. One must not let the guard down

The journey is simbolised by the wood element we all have within, the liver, the hun as its spirit, growing in each lifetime, nourishing the heart in the process, nourishing the seed of enlightenment until that magic moment takes place (it's like connecting to a one trillion watts super machine and no more duality or "I" being differentiated from the rest). Until then enjoy the ride...or as Taoists would argue: wu wei. You can't force it. :)

• Like 2

Have we mentioned Sifu Matsuo on this thread?  I don't think I have (?), because he's so ubiquitous on this board I thought it'd be redundant, which it is.  (Matsuo thread, Dizzying DVD Collection thread, etc, etcBUT the

(which I put together, thank you very much) recently got posted to youtube and I am rather pleased, happy, excited even about it so I'm posting it here in this thread.  tah-daaa!  :D

(It's the fundamental bagua video for the DGS school.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

a new resource for me is amazon prime.there are many qigong, tai chi, etc videos to watch with prime. i really got prime for the free shipping and now i am watching a couple of Sun style bagua performed by Deng Fuming, a third generation disciple of Sun Lu Tang. it is in mandarin with english subtitles, it is very simple to follow. i picked up on the chinese common terms, circle, qi, dantien, drill, deaden, rise, over turn, change, heaven, earth, human, compass, casual,  etc

i liked the part when the Immortal changes the Shadow,, i liked it all

• Like 3

Someone has uploaded the full

(Liu Jingru's lineage) on YT. So go grab it while it lasts! :)
  • Like 1

Yin Fu style Bagua free videos by teacher Xie Peiqi (lion system):

Parts

&
(intro)

(actual exercises)

This is how Baguaquan works:

Twisting in and down, into the Earth in order to raise the energy up and out, purifying and removing everything from the toes to the crown of the head. Eventually you'll grow from an infant to a true spiritual warrior. :)

:D

Happy circle walking!

• Like 1

I'm looking for resources (videos) on how to do *turns* (inside and outside) for each of the 8 basic palms (aka "8 Powers" in the DGS system). Any help appreciated. :)

• Like 2

HI Trunk,

The 8MP video I linked in my 2nd last post shows how to change direction, without too much complication, for each of the palms. A straight forward kou bu (hook step, in) and bai bu (swing step, out).

Shu Zhijun's style also teaches the changes.

Hope this helps! :)

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 1

Teacher He Jinghan ((Gong Baotian style Bagua) has also uploaded some videos recently on YT which are very helpful.

Here are two very insightful clips (answering to Trunk's question about directional change in the circle):

Circle Walking details

Change and applications

Hope you find these teachings helpful. :)

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 3

I highly recommend Park Bok Nam's books for advice on footwork.  Not in any other book have I found it so in depth.  I have viewed Master Park's 1st DVD and it is quite good.  I have also found that the Phoenix Trigram from the yin fu guys has some really nice footwork patterns in it...  Also if you are into rolls, Ray Carbullido masterfully demos these.

One of my favorite (while most challenging) training methods I got from Ng family is walking on paint cans.  I liked Matsuo's suggestion to try it on bricks.  Once one gets comfy with one brick lie another on top and feel it change!  lol  Paint cans I would put in a bit more of an advanced category than bricks unless one is walking on two bricks per step.  The weight must fall correctly or the bricks will slip.   :D

Here is a highly repsected Yin Fu master

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjpJLS8JTd4

Edited by spiraltao
  • Like 3

Hi friend,

Thanks for posting this last video. It's a good visual reminder of what not to do when training Bagua. Circle walking + foundation work (jibengong) it's all that is required. But ultimately mindful circle walking focusing on the 8MP is all that is needed for a successful and enjoyable practice. Working with trees (and other elemental forces) and employing Chinese Medicine healing techniques to tonify and neutralise the various toxins released during training is highly recommended.

Trunk,

If you happen to include the millstone pushing palm in your 8MP routine, this video might interest you:

Di Guoyong (Liang Zhenpu style)

Happy circle walking! :)

Edited by Gerard

Quite skilled female Bagua practitioner. A delight to watch.

Link

I enjoyed watching The Kungfu Master (2012) about the life of Dong Haichuan. There is a full video on YT but with Portuguese subtitles hardcoded. Try one of the torrent sites for other options.

Enjoy! :)

• Like 1

Another priceless video of Mr He Jinghan from Taipei:

Talk about Dang

Very important point when he discusses starting with a wide horse stance to feel the dang stretch well (around 7:30).

Dang practice is vital in all IMA training not just Bagua. He also says that no Dang no Taiji. :)

The Dang is analogue to the arch structure used in construction:

IUwcmKV.jpg

g8yuhaU.jpg

I found these two texts in a blog by one of the senior students of He Jinghan several years ago but I don't have the English translation for them. My apologies.

I will do the translation, bit by bit, then:

骑马步要领

Important points to observe when practicing the horse stance

[骑马步]是人类用两条腿站立最稳当的基本步行、所以虽然中国武术派别众多,各有所长,但是几乎都是以[骑马步]作为入门第一棵,甚至很多传统练法要求站步三年再走下一个进度,意思是说,把脚步先站稳了才有资格打拳。

The horse stance is the most stable position for a man standing on his two feet. Therefore, even if there are many different schools of Chinese martial arts, each one of them having strong points, they almost all practice the horse stance as their introduction lesson, so much that many tradictional methods of developpement consider that it must be practised for three years before going to the next step. 

The meaning of this is that one must first have a strong (leg) foundation to be qualified to practice the boxing.

• Like 2