Sign in to follow this  
skydog

This is how I feel if anyone,

Thank you for sharing. Unfortunately I can't work out how to embed it either, though I am sure that it is simple enough when you know how.

Those are purposefully made to not embed. It is someone's own video that they posted on facebook.

No it has been made public so as to be shared. We just cannot see how.

Well, to the video, it is true, the first Native Americans were the people who first migrated into the American continents but they are not the only Native Americnas.

It is even possible that Europeans migrated to the Americas about the same time the Asians did. And there were more than one migration so who really know who was first?

I am a Native American because I was born here.

Some people make a big deal about being Native Floridians.

The only true Natives are that small society in Africa that DNA testing shows that the members of the society have never migrated out of Africa. All others are migrants.

• Like 3

None of us speak for all members of our skin color or race. I don't speak for all whites in saying that my family had no part in slavery, manifest destiny, anything illegal or infringing on others, etc...other white Europeans did some horrible things. Some did some great things. Many were like my ancestors. A native American doesn't speak for all of his ancestors and fellow NAs...we all speak for ourselves alone. To say that the people currently living in America were not welcomed here by the NAs of that time is only half true. There was actually welcoming, coexisting, treaties and agreements of lands. There was also bloodshed. Keep in mind that the NAs of the time didn't agree with each other. For a NA to say today that no one else except those of NA blood are welcome on this land, is delusional at best, although I get how they feel. At times our society seems horrible. At times it seems like it would have been better back in the day, before "the white man came"...because we assume it was a lot of freedom, not owing anything to anyone, etc. But if you consider that tribes were everywhere, it was probably similar to the situation today. You were likely bothered by people who you didn't know if you ventured off, and if you were with people you knew, they expected things of you that you disagreed with.

• Like 2

Bill Porter in his book Zen Baggage reckons that there's a tribal people in China who are the ancestors of the Navajo.

Bill Porter in his book Zen Baggage reckons that there's a tribal people in China who are the ancestors of the Navajo.

I was told the Navajo was from Tibet. One time I went to Arizona and bought some Indian books. I saw the pictures of the Indian women do look like Chinese.

• Like 1

Well, to the video, it is true, the first Native Americans were the people who first migrated into the American continents but they are not the only Native Americnas.

It is even possible that Europeans migrated to the Americas about the same time the Asians did. And there were more than one migration so who really know who was first?

I am a Native American because I was born here.

Some people make a big deal about being Native Floridians.

The only true Natives are that small society in Africa that DNA testing shows that the members of the society have never migrated out of Africa. All others are migrants.

Aside from what dude in clip says and what you mention above; who came first and all that. I think the more important question is who had what (land, hunting rights, societies, culture, connection to land,length of time that has been established, etc) when so-and-so got here and what so-and-so did to it / them when they did get here.

Lets not let this silly "I was first" debate obscure what happened.

Edited by Nungali

Okay. What happened? The NAs were so busy fighting each other that they didn't even realize that they were going to lose everything they thought they had. And not only were they fighting each other, they also sided with the invaders, both side, so they could do a better job at killing their own people.

Does that hit hard enough at what really happened?

• Like 1

Yes it does, that was a pretty hard hit ... is that one side of the picture or is that applicable to all the NA's ?

Here it was quite varied, some just killed the white 'arrivalists' outright , some societies collapsed, others started a 'terrorist campaign' and some tried to work together.

Edited by Nungali

Yes it does, that was a pretty hard hit ... is that one side of the picture or is that applicable to all the NA's ?

That was only one side of the picture. Yes, hitting hard normally requires taking an extreme position.

No, personally, I do not consider that a reality for many of the NAs of that period. I generalized and I have often said that generalizing is not good for anyone.

It is just that I get so tired of hearing people demanding that I feel sorry for them. Don't like your condition? Well, change it. Don't be wanting me to feel sorry for you. I don't offer pity parties.

• Like 1

That was only one side of the picture. Yes, hitting hard normally requires taking an extreme position.

No, personally, I do not consider that a reality for many of the NAs of that period. I generalized and I have often said that generalizing is not good for anyone.

It is just that I get so tired of hearing people demanding that I feel sorry for them. Don't like your condition? Well, change it. Don't be wanting me to feel sorry for you. I don't offer pity parties.

Okay ... I detected anger more than a request for sorry ness or pity in the original clip ... but I am an outsider here, so I may have no right to comment ... or I might have a more objective view ?

The point I got from the dudes outburst in that clip (and a bad idea to do that when having a baby with you :wacko: ) was the hypocrisy of some protesting against migrants when the protestors themselves may be recent arrivals.

We get that here in Oz .... very prejudiced about migrants, but many of us come from migrant families ourselves. Dont want the Chinese to come here and take our land, but we got it from and by doing .....

People have been prejudiced against 'the Lebanese' here and they get told to go back where they came from - even though they were born here . My german wife (god love her BUT ) came here as an illegal immigrant, virtually squatted on land , cashed in on a dodgy land re-settlement scheme, got established and then years later, with excess land and facilities and we consider giving part back for local indigenous part time usage ... she is all, I dont know if I want those people on our land. :blink: ... well, sure, it might be disruptive ... but I think it might have been a little disruptive when 'we' came here too. (Aside from the fact that within 8 years of that and deciding NOT having them here the 'immigrants' manage to fuck the whole thing up anyway ... :rolleyes: )

I thought that was the main point of angry dude ... not that he wanted people to feel sorry for him .... before he went off on the flag / blood tangent.

... yeah ... I am taking 'a position' on this as well ... its probably to do with that work I did in refugee re-location and re-settlement.

Consider, if you will, I am an Anarchist as well as a Cosmopolitan. Manitou and others spoke of this recently. No borders. But migrate peacefully.

I see no problem with what your wife did. She did the same thing many others did. But I see your point too as far as giving some back to the Aboriginals if all the land cannot be used in a productive manner.

I understand that your government did give a lot of land back to the Aboriginals. I don't know the statistics but Y'all have probably done a better job than the US government has done regarding the NAs.

Yes, the person in the clip was angry. Perhaps rightfully (in his mind) so. I would need more information.

Throughout the history of man the "ownership" of land has changed hands. Nothing new and it is still happening today.

I wish my government had a better immigration policy so that people didn't have to steal into the US. But the way things are now is beneficial for big business so nothing has been done to change things.

I don't have any answers but I do know what rubs me the wrong way.

IMO , there really are no valid justifications for either invading or taking posession of the continent.. what makes anyone think they have a "right" to the continent anyway? His personal tribe didnt own it all.. and no single american owns all of america either. But that doesnt preclude folks from understandably wanting to exclude from what one considers ' their space' ,the folks they dont want to include in it. Heck if it was up to me everyone would get booted out and it would be all mine and mine alone.

The Indians killed Whites and Blacks and Chinese etc and each other just as the rest did.. for exclusion. The guy in the clip has probably been taught by generations afore him , that he should have anger , that he personally lost something, but he is perfectly willing to overlook that to push the kid around in a 'european style' manufactured baby stroller with wheels!

The nationality thing is basically an illusion which folks like to entertain ,and this conflict he exemplifies, is maintained along with it. Id also like to emphasize that I think right and wrong also have illusionary basis , and so Im not saying he is wron or right, nor am I saying americans are wrong or right in having allegiances. Im just pointing at that which undermines justifications for hostility against ethnicities.

Edited by Stosh

Sign in to follow this