BaguaKicksAss

Can meditation reduce the effects of ageing? (study)

How could it be that many tibetan meditation masters lived short lives?

Shamar RInpoche for example, died at 62 and there are those who claim that he produced straordinary signs at his death, marks of an highly realized individual. :unsure:

Zen people, on the other hand tend to live longer.

Edited by DAO rain TAO

How about compared with other Tibetans from the same area? Sometimes it is environmental, or lack of nutrition, or etc.

Haha :D the OP likely applies to living subjects, aiming to explore if meditation helps anti-ageing (as in transforming looks, i presume), not whether it prolongs life!

OP's question aside, some Tibetan masters live for a long time, some pass away seemingly quite young, but its very difficult to reach any definitive reasons without resorting to speculation, one of which is that no one knows for sure if those who die young were not meant to die even much younger, but due to their cultivation, were able to extend their lifespan way beyond what the fortune tellers had predicted for them. I know in Asia, it is common practice for parents to get a newborn's astrological chart mapped, and do sometimes get told that a long life was not in the stars. In some cases the child end up in a monastery or temple to be ordained with the hope of averting that ominous prediction.

Other superstitious speculations say that masters often absorb the 'bad' energies of their students hence such charitable acts tend to lead to a decreased lifespan, but personally, i think this is just hot air, especially in Vajrayana tradition anyway. If you cannot neutralise whats being taken in, then don't be doing it. Some say the option is not available, due to it being a part of a master's 'obligations'. More bs, methinks.

Edited by C T

The study were only concerned with the stress on the body cells but neglected how to release the stress. There is still one ingredient missing in their understanding about meditation which can enhance the function of the cells to prevent aging. I had said what it is many times already. I hope someone will remember what it was. I am really tired of repeating myself or being insulted by some non believers.

Edited by ChiDragon

How could it be that many tibetan meditation masters lived short lives?

Shamar RInpoche for example, died at 62 and there are those who claim that he produced straordinary signs at his death, marks of an highly realized individual. :unsure:

Zen people, on the other hand tend to live longer.

Maybe they'd had enough of physical reality and it was time to move on up... Not a whole lot going on in that neck of the woods.. I'd opt out at around 60 too ;)

• Like 1

How about compared with other Tibetans from the same area? Sometimes it is environmental, or lack of nutrition, or etc.

Milarepa, the great saint followed a very bad diet and he lived to 80 years.

There are many cases of poor workers who reach considerably old ages in Tibet and China.

The same consideration could be applied to some qigong practitioners...

The link between meditation and long life is difficult to understand :(

• Like 1

From, admittedly limited: personal observation I'd say that seniors who are cultivators are healthier and, in general; live longer than those seniors who don't cultivate.

On the other hand the same can be said for seniors who play lawn bowls.

Lawn bowlers are just hitting their game peak at age 80.

I play lawn bowls in a 'juniors league'.

I am 62.

:)

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Up until about 10 years ago no one could believe my age as I looked about 10 years younger than I am.

Now I look every bit of my 35 years of age. :)

• Like 2

Haha :D the OP likely applies to living subjects, aiming to explore if meditation helps anti-ageing (as in transforming looks, i presume), not whether it prolongs life!

OP's question aside, some Tibetan masters live for a long time, some pass away seemingly quite young, but its very difficult to reach any definitive reasons without resorting to speculation, one of which is that no one knows for sure if those who die young were not meant to die even much younger, but due to their cultivation, were able to extend their lifespan way beyond what the fortune tellers had predicted for them. I know in Asia, it is common practice for parents to get a newborn's astrological chart mapped, and do sometimes get told that a long life was not in the stars. In some cases the child end up in a monastery or temple to be ordained with the hope of averting that ominous prediction.

Other superstitious speculations say that masters often absorb the 'bad' energies of their students hence such charitable acts tend to lead to a decreased lifespan, but personally, i think this is just hot air, especially in Vajrayana tradition anyway. If you cannot neutralise whats being taken in, then don't be doing it. Some say the option is not available, due to it being a part of a master's 'obligations'. More bs, methinks.

I definitely find that when you take on a student seriously, there is a strong link, and what they do can affect ones life. So you know when they are doing some things that are not good lol. Also some beleive that each initiation you give shortens your lifespan and decreases your natural luck. I'm not entirely sure why either of these things would happen since it's the divine or whatever doing the initiations and/or teaching, but it does still seem to affect the physical for some reason.

From, admittedly limited: personal observation I'd say that seniors who are cultivators are healthier and, in general; live longer than those seniors who don't cultivate.

On the other hand the same can be said for seniors who play lawn bowls.

Lawn bowlers are just hitting their game peak at age 80.

I play lawn bowls in a 'juniors league'.

I am 62.

:)

The seniors around here climb mountains, run marathons and mountain bike! The ones who lawn bowl don't look any younger though, at least not locally...

• Like 1

Milarepa, the great saint followed a very bad diet and he lived to 80 years.

There are many cases of poor workers who reach considerably old ages in Tibet and China.

The same consideration could be applied to some qigong practitioners...

The link between meditation and long life is difficult to understand :(

I think it's more like the further practices said meditation can lead one to (like qigong, or self introspection). Though the study they did didn't really have anything to do with meditation any more than it did to do with lounging about after work (to reduce stress).

• Like 1

It makes sense to me that meditation would have an affect on the aging process for the following reason: that when we're in meditation, we 'stop time' if we are meditating in a state of thought-lessness. If we spend a lot of time in meditation, I would think the effects would be greater, proportionately. If we've stopped time, perhaps our body ages accordingly; i.e. 'no passage of time would involve no aging at the time'. Perhaps, because of the necessity for deep relaxation, it allows our cells to return to a type of default mode while in meditation, and restores them to some degree.

At least, this "feels right" to me, :D

• Like 1

I don´t know if meditation can help you look younger or not, but I´m pretty sure it can help you not care one way or the other .

Liminal

• Like 5

There was a study showing meditation increases the release of growth hormone, lower cortisol, etc. also it is said to be able to increase telemore length, which is huge in anti aging. Ill try and find the link, actually believe there may be a few studies on this at least.

Oops just realized the op article goes in depth about telemores. The effects on gh, cortisol and oxytocin are intriguing as well.

Meditation reduces the effects of aging in many ways and on many levels.

In doing meditation one breaks up and ebbs away energy that is stuck. Complex energy proclivities from our personality/ego undergo changes as well as many genetic proclivities.

Whole ranges of reactionary proclivities cease and are not replaced - this gives our lives more "time" "in life".

This process re-enlivens those otherwise deadend and reactive areas and pathways that normally construct walls and blinders on us as we live life. Most people are largely dead by 50 having closed themselves off to much of life and shut many doors of perception. For most such as these only a great shock can bring them around somewhat.

A life of fear can be seen in the face.

The subjugation of spirit is obvious in the physical.

However long a plant may live, the life of one that is freed from infestation and given the light of the sun that it needs to grow - this is one that will age well.

During the time you are here your eyes will be clearer, you will be less animated by the illusion and more stirred from within, you will have less pain, better skin and the light surrounding you will be much more even and bright and crystalline.

Edited by Spotless
  • Like 3

A life of fear can be seen in the face.

An incredible post, Spotless. Spot on, as I see it :D

I think of how angry and fearful my face used to look before discovering my Path, which includes meditation. Certainly, if nothing else, we're giving our cells a feeling of "what they're supposed to feel like without fear and tension". Certainly it calms our heartbeat, no doubt does something for blood pressure.

As we manifest from the inside to the outside, meditation would almost seem to be the 'connector' between the inner life and the physical life. The more we meditate, the more control we have over our thoughts. We no longer have a motor-mind that chatters incessantly, keeping the owner of the mind in a state of continual stress.

I'll bet the connections are legion. As I think about it, meditation is the 'default setting' for the virgin mind and all stimulus from that point on creates distortion - whether perceived as 'bad' or 'good'.

• Like 2

Oops just realized the op article goes in depth about telemores. The effects on gh, cortisol and oxytocin are intriguing as well.

If you've ever seen one of those YT vids of DNA sequencing and replication you find the enzyme and a chemical process happening...

now how are chemical processes enhanced or retarded by electromagnetic signal

although the pattern of qi is a little more complex

where's that dentist story where the new remedy for cavities is simply to recreate the proper chemical makeup in the vicinity? ;)

• Like 1