Sign in to follow this  
Aetherous

True Detective (tv show)

I just finished the first season (8 episodes) of this show yesterday. Basically, it's great.

It's about two detectives who investigate some pretty dark "ritual" style killings. So the subject matter, the vibe, some of the things shown, are not for all audiences and might/will likely disturb some/most people.

To me, it's McConaughey's best role so far in his career. Lately he's been doing really well as an actor with unusual roles like in Mud, and Dallas Buyer's Club...but his acting as Rustin Cohle in True Detective stands out, to me. The character is also extremely interesting.

Besides the good acting, T Bone Burnett does the soundtrack to the season (he also did O Brother Where Art Thou, for instance, which had great music). He actually included a song by The Melvins in this show, which was awesome and the first time that's ever happened. It totally fits the scene that he included it in.

There's also this article and the comments below it (big spoiler alert, only read after viewing) at the Vigiliant Citizen website, which begins to scratch the surface of this first season in a particular way. Cool to look at the show through that lens. I don't think they covered nearly enough of the symbolism and various "occult" things hinted at (not referring to the "ritual" stuff, but actually a lot of what's here and there in the script).

Hope you enjoy it as well, if you're up for checking it out.

• Like 2

Yeah its really good, pretty dark but good, McConaughey and Harrelson are both excellent I thought.

• Like 1

Welp, the mention of T Bone Burnett is enough to get me to watch it. Let's take a look.

Hope you like it, man. I have a feeling that not everyone will...probably a love it or hate it kind of show.

It's had rave reviews here.

We can't get it as we only have terrestrial ( free channels) TV.

Has Harrelson ever made a crock?

Seems like everything he's in is pretty good.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this