Sign in to follow this  
Perceiver

Energy work and scar healing?

Hi, I recently had some mild surgery done on my head, and am noticing a much longer healing time. I do a lot of energy work - the qigong practices from michael winn and mantak chia. Can energy work actually cause your scars to stay red for longer time - due to the activity going on? Anyone had any similar experience?

Not sure about energy work slowing down scar tissue lividity but I do know from experience that some scars take ages to lose lividity and on some parts of the body they never really blend in.

That can also depend on skin 'type' as well.

I have an abdominal scar from surgery in Falklands War years ago it's still a faded reddish purple, not 'angry' red but still very distinct from the surrounding skin.

Thing is that scar tissue is something different from regular skin so it looks and acts differently.

Edited by GrandmasterP

I usually find it tiresome when people say "it depends" . . . but it's okay as long as they then tell me what it depends on.

So: it probably depends on the nature of the scar . . . the person's individual skin characteristics . . . the type of energy work being done . . . and the ability of the person doing the energy work (which includes both the ability to generate the energy and the receptivity to it).

When I clicked on this topic . . . I was expecting a question about how to make scars disappear more quickly using energy work.

That seems a reasonable possibility to me (depending on the foregoing factors).

I'd try "skin breathing" QiGong specifically . . .

Edited by Lataif

Chi Kung or energy work will only speed up the process of healing. However, there is no guarantee it will leave no scar. What Chi Kung does is to increase the rate of metabolism. Just be sure your Chi Kung practice has something to do with deep, slow and long breathing. Otherwise, it has no speedy effect in your healing.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 1

A scar from the Falklands War? Damn, gotta admit my scar is from a less impressive cause ;-)

Thanks for the tips, will try to implement some more deep breathing..

• Like 2

QiGong's gotta be good too.

Not a war hero scar I just had a gall stone removed during the Falklands Campaign.

Lucky stone that was cos I was still a military reservist and it kept me safe in hospital rather than being called up.

:)

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 2

Have you tried clinical qigong? "energy work" is a term that really has no meaning as far too many variables of methodology are introduced with the term. Clincal Qigong differs greatly from what I have seen called "energy work".

Have you tried clinical qigong? "energy work" is a term that really has no meaning as far too many variables of methodology are introduced with the term. Clincal Qigong differs greatly from what I have seen called "energy work".

You are right. "Energy work" is meaningless. However, most people are stuck with it is because it was all documented. The first thing that comes into their minds about Chi Kung is "Energy work". It is very hard to change their minds about that. Besides, "Work" is not the correct translation for 功(Kung) anyway.

Acupuncture can be good for healing old scars, and will usually cause some brightening and reddening around them in the short term as fresh qi and blood are brought to the area. Maybe your energy work is doing something similar, in which case in the longer term the scar should heal up better than it might have otherwise.

Hi, I recently had some mild surgery done on my head, and am noticing a much longer healing time. I do a lot of energy work - the qigong practices from michael winn and mantak chia. Can energy work actually cause your scars to stay red for longer time - due to the activity going on? Anyone had any similar experience?

Imho, if your Yi (intention-hearth) is strong enough (which may be the case if you practice celibacy), then your mind could be strong and able to produce inflammations on your bodily tissues.

Those are particularly evident on the delicate skin of new scars.

Sign in to follow this