al.

Wearing Hats and Qigong

"When the shoe fits,

the foot is forgotten.

When the belt fits,

the belly is forgotten."

Please share your thoughts on the effects of wearing hats and qigong.

A strange question perhaps, but I feel there is something interesting about the energetics of clothing the head....

In monastic Daoism a major indicator of accomplishment/rank is the type of hat worn. But is this more than symbolic?

• Like 1

No, it is not more than symbolic. Well, you might say it keeps the body heat from radiation.

Edited by ChiDragon

No big theories on the significance of hats here, but I think it´s a meaningful question. Traditional Jewish guys always wear some sort of head covering. Dress in general is perhaps an under-investigated area of inquiry. Certainly I "feel" different when I put on nice clothes versus some ratty old sweat shirt. And come to think of it, different colors correspond to the different elements. If my heart energy needs a boost would wearing a bright red shirt help? I like the idea of a feng shui of fashion.

Liminal

"When the shoe fits,

the foot is forgotten.

When the belt fits,

the belly is forgotten."

when the hat fits,

the ego is forgotten.

Please share your thoughts on the effects of wearing hats and qigong.

A strange question perhaps, but I feel there is something interesting about the energetics of clothing the head....

In monastic Daoism a major indicator of accomplishment/rank is the type of hat worn. But is this more than symbolic?

As an aside, it is interesting to note the shaman headdress and the Sheng headdress worn by Xi Wang Mu... wearing 'hats' seem to have been around for a long time.

I would be terribly disappointed if they didn't have some sort of Daoist talisman sewn into their hats they wear!

• Like 1

Hmmm.... do naked qi gong then decide if you feel different from when you do it with clothing.

• Like 1

In Dragonball the shaolin monk character says he shaves his head to unfetter his Qi... :P

Hmm, yep qigong naked is definitely different.

I see clothing as the second skin, architecture as third skin.

Primarily hats are for warmth and protection from the environment, then they can become adornment and as such reflections of who we are (or would like to be)....

But something tells me different hats create different energetic structures just like practicing qigong in a cathedral will be different from practicing on a beach or in a small hut. So, the benefits might be when our qigong is looking to be more contained, just as when we practice in a nice indoor environment it can benefit in a different way to practicing outside...

• Like 2

How camp is this one?

Not bad prices though 1000 Taiwan Dollars is about £19 GBP or $33 US.

post-89388-0-91728500-1404423432_thumb.jpg

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

GMP - i like it what you got right thurr!

An acupuncturist and qigong healer i met a few years back said hair was better at picking up qi than naked skin, wich he demonstrated by making a connection to my nose and then to my beard, pretty solid difference in intensity.

However: my only experience with hat-gong is baseball caps (i noticed it so much i could notice very little besides it) and a knitted 100% wool cap (serious buzzing sensation after a while). Both times: awareness and chi went to the head, wouldnt leave.

Edited by Rocky Lionmouth
  • Like 1

If I wear headphones for too long the part that goes over my head makes my crown burn underneath it. Strange but perhaps a little relevant to this topic.

I'm bald so a hat is a necessity in summer sun or winter chill.

Flat caps for me as a rule.

White for bowling.

Tweed ( Autumnal shades) for winter.

In summer lightweight jobs in various colours, today a light grey linen cap.

I do own one totally brilliant black hat which is an Amish cartwheel job.

I had that copied in white drill to create a bowling hat that doubles as a large sunshade.

Trouble is it blows off in the slightest breeze.

Those Taoist hats are super-weird and all due respect to any westerner who wears one but....

It's really NOT a good look guys!

Given a western audience for spiritual teaching or cultivation then , IMO dressing up as a chorus member in a provincial tour of The Mikado detracts from rather than lends itself to gravitas.

:)

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1