Sign in to follow this  
4bsolute

What simple baking sweetener do you know that has not such drastic, lethargic effects on the body like processed sugar does?

Some people use apple sauce or prune puree instead of sugar and/or eggs in baking, they'll add a sweet fruitiness and moisture. I often use Vanilla extract to add flavor to things, my sauces, stews and drinks.

I don't mind being a little bad and using a little sugar in things. Its not the best, but to your body its not too different then all the other fructoses be it maple syrup, honey, agave etc.,

Drop baking forever, it is not good for anything, sugar and wheat and I mean any sugar and any starch is just unhealthy. For some people is ok but if you look for sugar alternatives this is an idication that is not ok for you to eat sugar and wheat.

Cooked honey is poisonous, stevia tastes like shit. Just eat dried fruits or juicy fresh fruits and nuts. This is what we are supposed to eat to stay healthy. There are some fruits that are very sweet like longan or luo han guo which is maybe 300 times sweeter than sugar.

Edited by Andrei
  • Like 1

One of the 'healthiest' sugar alternative, which is quite popular with artisan bakers big into healthy bakes, is light or dark molasses.

Molasses are known to alkalinise the body, which is a good thing.

• Like 1

Drop baking forever, it is not good for anything, sugar and wheat and I mean any sugar and any starch is just unhealthy. For some people is ok but if you look for sugar alternatives this is an idication that is not ok for you to eat sugar and wheat.

Cooked honey is poisonous, stevia tastes like shit. Just eat dried fruits or juicy fresh fruits and nuts. This is what we are supposed to eat to stay healthy. There are some fruits that are very sweet like longan or luo han guo which is maybe 300 times sweeter than sugar.

There are alternative types of flour other than wheat. I bake cakes with rice flour mostly.

Edited by C T

I like xylitol, although I haven't cooked with it. It tastes just like sugar, no aftertaste, but only has 60% of the calories, and does not feed candida. It's prevents cavities and can help eliminate sinus infections. If you use too much too fast, it can give you diarrhea, as it changes your gut bacteria. If you WANT to, ah... clean out, put a couple teaspoons in a cup of strong, gingery chai. Tastes great! So great you'll probably want another cuppa. Then things can get really interesting, really fast! (Yeah, ask me how I know that!)

Besides the tendency to speed up your plumbing transit time if you use alot of it right off, you might want to only use the versions made from birch trees, and not the stuff from China. The xylitol made from "strawberries, other fruits, and corn cobs" can be made mostly from GMO corn. Wouldn't be my choice!

I use xylitol mostly in coffee, but also for neti pot and gargling for sore throats. Good stuff!

• Like 1

Hey Soaring Crane,

Can't read German, but didn't see anything too bad in the English version. What got your attention?

Oh yes, note that xylitol ingestion can be fatal to dogs... they can't digest the sugar.

stevia

For UK posters.

Tesco do an own brand jar of Stevia that is ace for baking and really inexpensive too.

In the sugar aisle it is, at our Tesco.

Big plastic jar with a red lid.

Mrs GMP uses it all the time.

Edited by GrandmasterP

Sign in to follow this