KenBrace

What is the longest you've ever meditated?

4 hours *once*, but that is only once, so I wouldn't really count that. There were a few 2 hour ones. In general 1/2 an hour to an hour (working up to more again). I really like that a bit longer than an hour mark, I get into a good place/state/whatever about then.

Btw, the reason I lasted 4 hours that one time is that I hit a really good altered and connected state right when I started, and things just lasted 4 hours :).

Edited by BaguaKicksAss
  • Like 1

4 hours *once*, but that is only once, so I wouldn't really count that. There were a few 2 hour ones. In general 1/2 an hour to an hour (working up to more again). I really like that a bit longer than an hour mark, I get into a good place/state/whatever about then.

Btw, the reason I lasted 4 hours that one time is that I hit a really good altered and connected state right when I started, and things just lasted 4 hours :).

Have you ever thought about attempting a hard-core session (5+ hours)?

Edited by KenBrace

Have you ever thought about attempting a hard-core session (5+ hours)?

I get excruciating back and knee pain when I sit for awhile, so no. Though it is likely I moved about a bit during that 4 hour session, and just didn't notice it......

What is the longest you've ever meditated straight in a single session?

It is not about Quantity, is about Quality.

You do not want your practice to become a completion task. We become what we practice.

• Like 3

I get excruciating back and knee pain when I sit for awhile, so no. Though it is likely I moved about a bit during that 4 hour session, and just didn't notice it......

Try using a recliner or some other reclined surface so you can rest your back, neck, etc. During even light trance your body will completely relax since you completely loose connection and feeling of it so as long as you have something to support you, that shouldn't really be a problem from. That's my experience anyway.

It is not about Quantity, is about Quality.

You do not want your practice to become a completion task. We become what we practice.

Yep. 100% correct. That's why long sessions are important. 20 min + 60 min + 30 min etc. isn't near as good as one long session. What really matters is the quality of meditation. Otherwise it's pointless really. However, unless you are a master of meditation it's going to take you many hours of straight mediation to get there. If you never train for longer than a few hours at the most, you're not going to get to quality meditation, which is what's important.

• Like 1

.............. If you never train for longer than a few hours at the most, you're not going to get to quality meditation, which is what's important.

What is quality meditation and what is the significance of it....??? What would a master of meditation teach someone.....???

Sorry, I have to ask these questions is because there are too many individual definitions and I have to know what each individual was talking about.

Edited by ChiDragon

Try using a recliner or some other reclined surface so you can rest your back, neck, etc. During even light trance your body will completely relax since you completely loose connection and feeling of it so as long as you have something to support you, that shouldn't really be a problem from. That's my experience anyway.

Thats cause your your younger than and a few less car accidents than me lololololol

Though trying it next time that I naturally hit a really good state early in could be interesting :).

It is not something I have tried for my own practice though, not so sure I could pull it off. Maybe it just takes years of practice. I have not personally found mediation to not get any deeper the longer I do it (accept for the first 5-10 years of it maybe). The 15 minute to half hour mark is where it gets really strong and I get odd stuff like I can't tell if I'm dreaming or not, but I'm awake, and...

I just tell BKA to go play somewhere else and don't bug me during the mediation ;).

• Like 1

Yep. 100% correct. That's why long sessions are important. 20 min + 60 min + 30 min etc. isn't near as good as one long session. What really matters is the quality of meditation. Otherwise it's pointless really. However, unless you are a master of meditation it's going to take you many hours of straight mediation to get there. If you never train for longer than a few hours at the most, you're not going to get to quality meditation, which is what's important.

Tell that to me again after 25 years of practice ;).

Personally I feel it is more about doing it every single day. You build up something from that, which makes all the sessions much deeper, stronger, work better and etc. Even every 2nd day doesn't do this, but daily does.

I'm working back up to every single day again, after slacking for a couple of years and just doing it at random.

• Like 1

What is quality meditation and what is the significance of it....??? What would a master of meditation teach someone.....???

Well I guess I was referring to the borderiline between waking and sleeping. Unless you are in this state, you're ability to work with chi and make significant progress will be limited.

I suppose that you can still have quality mediation without this state depending on your purpose for meditating though. Image Streaming doesn't require the borderline state and it is quality in my opinion.

I've been able to heal headaches with a 2-3 hour session due to the relaxation and clear-headedness that it causes, so I guess that could be considered quality for healing headaches.

Well I guess I was referring to the borderiline between waking and sleeping. Unless you are in this state, you're ability to work with chi and make significant progress will be limited.

I suppose that you can still have quality mediation without this state depending on your purpose for meditating though. Image Streaming doesn't require the borderline state and it is quality in my opinion.

I've been able to heal headaches with a 2-3 hour session due to the relaxation and clear-headedness that it causes, so I guess that could be considered quality for healing headaches.

So try this :)... spoken by someone who has (unfortunately) much experience with using mediation to get rid of headaches...

Start mediating like you normally do, take 5-15 minutes to get into a decent depth of state... then remember that perfect relaxed headache goes away state. Feel it like you did the last time you mediated and it worked. Now sort of put, or force, or bring, yourself into that exact same state. Mimic it. Change yourself, your consciouses and the energy around you to all match that state. It takes a LOT of practice, but can most definitely be well worth it :).

I learned this because there have been times where I had to fix a situation where I just didn't have time to sit down and slowly get into a really deep state, I needed it within a few minutes...

• Like 1

I don't often time my meditations, but I need about 40-60 mins to get a really good meditation.

I meditated for about an hour and a half on Saturday. That's one of the longer sessions I've done. I was in between waking and sleeping after about 40-60mins. I don't know how long I stayed there. Eventually leg discomfort brought me back.

What's the longest you've ever meditated, Ken?

I don't often time my meditations, but I need about 40-60 mins to get a really good meditation.

I meditated for about an hour and a half on Saturday. That's one of the longer sessions I've done. I was in between waking and sleeping after about 40-60mins. I don't know how long I stayed there. Eventually leg discomfort brought me back.

What's the longest you've ever meditated, Ken?

It was around 7 hours. That was last week.

• Like 1

I got a good one the other day, I know it was a good one because when done I asked myself "oh when did that jackhammer behind my house stop?" LOL It was mediation time, and I really wanted peace and quiet, but thought I would try and see what happened hahaha. Not going to be something I do regularly. Better than wanting to go strangle said jackhammerer though I figure ;)

Are you trying to kill this thread? Following Ken around like that...

Edited by BaguaKicksAss
  • Like 2

sorry, that borderline waking sleeping bollocks is going to get called out when its mentioned.

sorry, that borderline waking sleeping bollocks is going to get called out when its mentioned.

We all need a hobby :D.

It was around 7 hours. That was last week.

Curious : are you sitting cross legged for that time?

That never happens to you? I'll start dreaming but it's weird, like you're still sort of awake but dreaming. I don't notice my ability to 'work with chi' changing, though.

That never happens to you? I'll start dreaming but it's weird, like you're still sort of awake but dreaming. I don't notice my ability to 'work with chi' changing, though.

Yeah I got that one the other day, and other interesting things too.

Nah I think what Joe means is that the whole you *have* to be in that state, no others work!

sure, it happens plenty often - when I am actually going to sleep.

a fully aware meditative mindset, while it has a minor similarity or two, is absolutely not the same thing.

master nan huai chin cautioned many times against this oblivious path towards dead tree zen.

a fleeting and poor analogy from a master in an attempt to describe to someone who knows absolutely nothing of the depths he has experienced has been seized upon as an important practice point - enough that these guys parrot it all over and its like in the "fundamental bunch of stuff to learn" category for them, utter fallacy it is.

that's why it makes me question the actual achievable depths by one who would hold that up as worthy of repeated notation.

• Like 1

Curious : are you sitting cross legged for that time?

Half-lotus. I got to a point where I could no longer feel my body but I half-way awoke at some point and realized my legs were hurting. I straighten them out and finished the session that way. Not really sure how far in that was. Maybe 3/4 of the way. I can't really remember to be honest.

Edited by KenBrace