VCraigP

Looking for a Tao Book

Hi everyone. I am sure you are probably thinking by now that we have covered this ground before but here is the background for the question.

I have a friend. I have discussed on very light terms the concept of Taoism and Taoist practices and sciences of various kinds.

He recently said to me on a business trip "Hey, can you get me a book on Taoism. Just one book that would explain what it is, so that when I'm done reading all 567 pages of it I will have a good general understanding of what it is."

Of course I smiled to myself and thought "Oh sure like it's that easy to define something as broad as Taoism even in one big Tome."

Also of course, you would think I would be emminently qualified to answer such a question after so many years of involvement in such things.

But perhaps I'm too immersed in it to see what would be the best approach here.

So I throw it out to you all.

Any ideas?

Many thanks to you all in advance.

Craig

Hi Craig,

The best book on history of Taoism I've read is "The Story of Chinese Taoism: The History of Taoism and Taoist Meditation Techniques" by Nan Huai Chin.

You can read more about the book on Bill Bodri's website The Story of Chinese Taoism.

Metta. :)

I'd recommend taking a look at some of Daniel's Reids first two books, The Tao of Health Sex and Longevity and his second which slips my mind. He's a Westerner who is immersed in theory and practice.

Peace

Michael

If they are interested in the philosophical side, I would recommend:

Tao of Pooh

Tao Te Ching - I love the Man Ho-Kwok, Martin Palmer, Jay Ramsay translation

Anything on Taoism by Alan Watts or Osho :)

For the alchemical side of things, I'll defer to the better opinion of others here :), though I did originally find the Awaken Healing Light and Energy books from Chia to be useful to me when I started, and the first 100 Days Yudelove book too for that matter.

good question. ni hua ching is authentic, i am unfmailiar with is books though. I would recommend the book Choosing Life by Michael Frost PHD, he studied with Ni hua Ching, mantak chia and many other masters...if you want to know the truth about tai chi and everything, this dude is the cutting edge, i beleive. thank you

Good Tao Books

1. Embryonic Breathing and The Roots of Chi Kung by Yang

2. The first 2 by Daniel Reid

3. Books by BK Frantzis

4. The Chinese Sexual Classics

5. Taoist Yoga by Luk