Harmonious Emptiness

Non-duality in the Dao De Jing

If anyone has some favourite passages in the Dao De Jing that inspire thoughts on non-duality, please share the passage an explanation of how this refers to non-duality.

Starting with Name (Chapter 1, line 1)

There can be no name because Dao is both one thing, and everything, so any name would only be one thing or the other. It's either the one thing that brings about everything, or it is everything, and so when we call it "it," we are looking in dualistic terms.

The Dao that can be named

Is not the eternal Dao

• Like 2

As soon as we give names we have entered the realm of duality.

But duality existed the moment One gave birth to Two.

Chapter 2, Line 1: (Henricks)

When everyone in the world knows the beautiful as beautiful, ugliness comes into being;

• Like 3

Merel - Ch.47.1

"Without taking a step outdoors You know the whole world; Without taking a peep out the window You know the colour of the sky. The more you experience, The less you know."

Henricks has that as...

1. No need to leave your door to know the whole world;

2. No need to peer through your windows to know the Way of Heaven.

3. The farther you go, the less you know.

That said though, isn't any duality, or lack of it; more 'in' us than ever it is anywhere in the TTC?

What is read presumes a reader and each reader makes her or his own meanings in and from any text.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 3

In Merel's we see dualities:

Outdoors vs indoors

Peep out vs knowing

Strange. I just got a "feeling" when reading: The more you experience, the less you know.

It's true, damn it!

• Like 3

In Merel's we see dualities:

Outdoors vs indoors

Peep out vs knowing

Strange. I just got a "feeling" when reading: The more you experience, the less you know.

It's true, damn it!

That's maybe a good thing.

In the context of that TTC verse.

For example, moving from cognate knowing to 'is-ness' via cultivation.

OK that's a dualistic 'before and after' call - on paper - but maybe not so much in practice ....

maybe.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Wouldnt ,even from a vantage of monistic dualism ,

there be an emotional dualism ,,essentially a preferential emotions based sort as in,,

I like this, or, I am repelled by that ?,

It seems the same to say this food is tasty ,, as it is to go 'mmmmm' .

It is still breaking the world down into polemics -preference and a dualistic regard for stuff.

candy good- bunghole bad.

• Like 1

But I can nullify many dualities with my useful/useless (to me) mentality.

(Remember the useless tree?)

Edited by Marblehead
  • Like 1

Starting with Name (Chapter 1, line 1)

Starting with the TITLE...

while the most ancient reference seems to simply be 'Laozi'... The unity of Dao-De eventually came into vogue :)

• Like 1

When everyone in the world knows the beautiful as beautiful, ugliness comes into being;

I love that part.

• Like 1

Developing the three treasures results in non-duality, IMO.

(Yutang: Love, Never too Much, Never be the First).

When this is achieved by removal of personality dross, Oneness is achieved. Giving is everything - as the Universe gives. The principle of 'Giving' is realized by the 'individual' - who no longer sees himself as an individual. He is merely part of the whole. Part of each and every human being's own I Am, whether they're in awareness of it or not.

To me, this is the ultimate non-duality. To be realized of the fact that we are not separate.

Edited by manitou

Yes, the whole of chapter two is very much about the unification of opposites, including "non-doing" resulting in/being "doing" such as teaching by not teaching, and obtaining merit by not trying to.

The counter balance of forces and actions is a common thread made very apparent in the first 15 chapters. Almost every thought therein is saying that nothing is one thing, nothing is what it appears as all things are constantly in flux and causing alternations. Push down on one side and the other side goes up. As though to say "stop thinking with your rational mind - it can never keep up to the immediate reality, the reality of which is that it is always self-alternating, and if you dwell on one side of it, on one appearance of it, you will be further and further from truly knowing it."

• Like 1

Well, as a Materialist I must try to think logically and rationally about reality as I perceive it. But still, I love to just live spontaneously without even thinking about the "why" of it.

When everyone in the world comes to know everything as beautiful, what ugliness exists?

• Like 1

When everyone in the world comes to know everything as beautiful, what ugliness exists?

Therein lies the dissolution of dualities. And if we could ignore the subjective valuation of "beautiful" we would have only its true essence.

(btw, the beer that can be drank and finished off is not the eternal and everlasting beer)

• Like 2

Well, as a Materialist I must try to think logically and rationally about reality as I perceive it. But still, I love to just live spontaneously without even thinking about the "why" of it.

I wonder if labeling ourselves as 'ists' of any type restricts our view. It's like ego is riding on a definition. Reinforces duality.

Something to consider :wub:

Edited by manitou
  • Like 1

I wonder if labeling ourselves as 'ists' of any type restricts our view. It's like ego is riding on a definition. Reinforces duality.

Something to consider :wub:

Yes, I have considered this. And yes, the labels do reinforce my belief systems and I will even suggest (without knowing) that it has put some limits on my thinking. (There are some things, that in my opinion, that are so far off the scale that I won't even consider them.)

But, on the other hand, it does feed our confidence that we are on the right path when we have no conflict when establishing a new understanding or opinion.

(btw, the beer that can be drank and finished off is not the eternal and everlasting beer)

Hehehe. Wine and hard cider is that way too.