silent thunder

Don't think... feel.

My practice revolves around a few forms. Two of which are Qi Gong and the others are about how I act and react to others in daily life.

In regards to the Qi Gong practice, I recently experienced a big surge and wanted to share. I returned to daily practice three years ago after meeting my teacher, (seemingly randomly.... HA!). I hadn't studied with any intent for a long time due to what I thought were limiting physical issues... again HA! :)

Recently, within the last year or so, my breath work will come on spontaneously throughout the day when I'm engaged in other tasks, seemingly unrelated to my forms. This has been fostered in me by my intention to incorporate the forms and breath awareness into the real cultivation, which is full time.

While driving home this day, I noticed I was breathing fully and deeply again as in my forms, but while just sitting in traffic. So I allowed awareness to settle on the breath, which brought me into full body awareness and soon my entire body was buzzing lightly and the energy was flowing.

And as clear as day Bruce Lee popped in my head and said:

He just said in my head, stop thinking about the practice now and feel.

As I've now fully ingrained the forms into my body, the mind can relax and isn't needed for much, yet I have still been clinging to rigidly counting and paying 'attention'. So when this moment dawned on me, I decided to really put that into practice and release the mind and simply work the forms with feeling and un-pointed full accepting awareness....

Wow. It was like plugging into 220v.

I don't think this is any sort of end point, nor is it going to be the full focus of my practice from here out, but wow, releasing the mind and settling in raw awareness opened up such sensitivity to things that were already happening unawares...

So... thanks Bruce! Wisdom doesn't die...

• Like 9

I don't think this is any sort of end point,

Nope, not an end point. Just a point along the way, living spontaneously.

( We think about what we did after it is done. Hehehe. I find myself in trouble now and again because of this. But that's okay.)

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing. Gonna work on applying this to my own practice. A new mantra/affirmation to internalize: "Just Feel". Peace and blessings. :)

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 1

awesome ST, you have experienced how the equation changes a bit once mental capital isnt super required...I was pondering this walking circles last night, I might have some more illustrative things to write. not that it would be anything I havent said already, I think :lol:

• Like 2

awesome ST, you have experienced how the equation changes a bit once mental capital isnt super required...I was pondering this walking circles last night, I might have some more illustrative things to write. not that it would be anything I havent said already, I think :lol:

Reading your analogy of signal to noise ratio really resonates with me on this and was part of the equation for sure.

• Like 1

so long as there's a single practitioner that gains benefit from the things that I write, then it is absolutely worth it :)

• Like 4

Coming back to this post, I've noticed that working with the water element tends to open this aspect of ourselves and really enhance our practice. There is a reason why women generally catch onto this stuff a lot quicker. They know how to "feel". They are naturally more attuned to water (generally speaking).

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 2

Yeah. And speaking of working with water, every time I go out to the ponds and do work where I am in the water or putting my hands in water I have to go pee. Does that mean I'm attuned to water?

I was being half way serious as well.

And yes, what I said does speak to "feeling" our life, instinctively and spontaneously.

This is why I speak so often of enjoying my emotions and feelings.

If you like working with water, follow yongquan breathing to its logical outflows ;)

Stand outside barefoot in the grass if possible,

inhale AT yongquan point

make it feel like you are actually pressing a finger into your foot. make this feeling real.

inhale as if you are pressing, then relax as only intention on the exhale.

dont progress past where the energy tangibly goes

inhale/press

eventually it will move past the yongquan point (as the point becomes open)

inhale it as far as you can tangibly and really go, then relax

something special will happen when it hits the sea ;)

• Like 2

My practice revolves around a few forms. Two of which are Qi Gong and the others are about how I act and react to others in daily life.

In regards to the Qi Gong practice, I recently experienced a big surge and wanted to share. I returned to daily practice three years ago after meeting my teacher, (seemingly randomly.... HA!). I hadn't studied with any intent for a long time due to what I thought were limiting physical issues... again HA! :)

Recently, within the last year or so, my breath work will come on spontaneously throughout the day when I'm engaged in other tasks, seemingly unrelated to my forms. This has been fostered in me by my intention to incorporate the forms and breath awareness into the real cultivation, which is full time.

While driving home this day, I noticed I was breathing fully and deeply again as in my forms, but while just sitting in traffic. So I allowed awareness to settle on the breath, which brought me into full body awareness and soon my entire body was buzzing lightly and the energy was flowing.

And as clear as day Bruce Lee popped in my head and said:

He just said in my head, stop thinking about the practice now and feel.

As I've now fully ingrained the forms into my body, the mind can relax and isn't needed for much, yet I have still been clinging to rigidly counting and paying 'attention'. So when this moment dawned on me, I decided to really put that into practice and release the mind and simply work the forms with feeling and un-pointed full accepting awareness....

Wow. It was like plugging into 220v.

I don't think this is any sort of end point, nor is it going to be the full focus of my practice from here out, but wow, releasing the mind and settling in raw awareness opened up such sensitivity to things that were already happening unawares...

So... thanks Bruce! Wisdom doesn't die...

This is what my Sifu tells us all the time - it's time to stop thinking and start feeling, then following and eventually flowing :)

• Like 4

Great post i think i experienced the same.i can only express it in german die Gefühle und das Gefühl. I think at one point i did let go the one feellng oder das gefuehl and my yourney backwards went further...

• Like 1

This is what my Sifu tells us all the time - it's time to stop thinking and start feeling, then following and eventually flowing :)

Was contemplating this yesterday. Got a lot from it, thanks for sharing your teachers wisdom.

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 1

If one is thinking, and one chooses to think using 'words', one is exclusively experiencing a delusion composed of constructs (non-real).

If one is thinking, and one chooses to think without using words, one is experiencing a delusion that may or may not be entirely constructs.

If one silences thinking, one may gain awareness and tune into being in the now.