Sign in to follow this  
CloudHands

How and why do babies lose belly breath ?

Sit up straight, pull your gut in- for how to lose it I mean.

Why do we tense our shoulders for stress? no good to run, or fight or even yell- shouldn't evolution have fixed that?

• Like 2

Why do we tense our shoulders for stress? no good to run, or fight or even yell- shouldn't evolution have fixed that?

ahah

Standing upright must lead to it, or at least be a major factor. And our horrible western furniture and toilets probably add to it, as well as the brain-heavy lives we lead.

It's a good point about 'suck in the gut' causing problems. Its something I address very specifically in my groups. Part of the instructions I give when getting into posture is to relax the belly, don't pull it in like we're in the habit of doing 24 and 7, don't be ashamed of having a belly, and sucking it in doesn't fool anyone into thinking you don't have one anyway.

This is a huge challenge for most of us.

• Like 2

answers ?

When they begin toddling then walking maybe?

Before that happens babies are pretty much in a good cultivating position all the time either sitting or lying down.

Just a guess there, I really don't know for sure..

Edited by GrandmasterP

Well I still don't know how and why but I asked a pediatrist for the "when". It happens around 12 months. Can be 6 or 18 but average is 12....

It's a good point about 'suck in the gut' causing problems. Its something I address very specifically in my groups. Part of the instructions I give when getting into posture is to relax the belly, don't pull it in like we're in the habit of doing 24 and 7, don't be ashamed of having a belly, and sucking it in doesn't fool anyone into thinking you don't have one anyway.

This is a huge challenge for most of us.

I've wondered that people's belly/core muscles are weaker than they used to be (and this is why all the fitness trainers focus on core workouts these days). Because we sit down so much, slouched over computers, and when we do try to make our posture better, most people just do crunches or sit ups (which are functionally pretty much useless).

But I've never realized some people have a problem because they suck their gut in too much..

• Like 1

I've wondered that people's belly/core muscles are weaker than they used to be (and this is why all the fitness trainers focus on core workouts these days). Because we sit down so much, slouched over computers, and when we do try to make our posture better, most people just do crunches or sit ups (which are functionally pretty much useless).

But I've never realized some people have a problem because they suck their gut in too much..

Well, they're different issues. The problems that sucking in the gut causes have to do with the organs and breathing, and these then affect the mental state which then causes other physical problems. It's a vicious circle that can be halted by simply letting the gut relax, the organs move into a comfortable position, and the diaphragm to get back to work.

Having strong abdominal muscles is OK, but can be overdone and is generally overvalued. It's got more to do with vanity and fulfilling societal expectations than with health and longevity.

• Like 2

Desires and cravings

I understand your answer but, well, babies are nothing but little bundles of desires and cravings. That's how I remember it anyway ;)

• Like 1

Walking emerge around 12 months.

After reflexion, I believe it's more relative to normal natural physical development like lung breathing is sport breathing. Try to sprint and do reverse breath mouahah :)

That would be an error to try to cut this change in order to keep the original breathing. Sometimes you have to leave to come back.

• Like 1

I understand your answer but, well, babies are nothing but little bundles of desires and cravings. That's how I remember it anyway ;)

Yes, but they have little memory and they can't keep the same desire for prolonged period of time. In addition, they hardly desire something which cannot be seen at the present moment.

Far from the eyes and far from the heart.

Their desires are irrational, but usually quite simple.

In baby children there's no desire to possess: when they want something something, it's just about exploring the thing for a few moments and then throw it away.

Their emotions are not sophisticate enough to cause trouble in their Qi-field.

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this