Sign in to follow this  
mwight

Emotional Music & It's Application For Energy Work

Does anyone else here use emotional music in their practice?

What are your thoughts?

Any recommendations?

Tool: Third Eye; Lateralus

A Perfect Circle: Vanishing

Forest For The Trees: Dream

Does anyone else here use emotional music in their practice?

What are your thoughts?

Any recommendations?

Tool: Third Eye; Lateralus

A Perfect Circle: Vanishing

Forest For The Trees: Dream

Music can be used successfully to boost or temper the various organs (TCM has been known to study this). However, in the long run, it can cloud the mind, which may be counterproductive. Same sort of issue as using practice-boosting drugs. Best for short-term definite use, rather than long-term indefinite use.

I agree with Cameron. I LOVE silence. However, I have found that the more time I spend without any artificial noise (tv, radio, cds, etc.) the more I feel overwhelmed when I AM around it. It's like sensory overload. Has anyone else experienced this?

V.

I agree with Cameron. I LOVE silence. However, I have found that the more time I spend without any artificial noise (tv, radio, cds, etc.) the more I feel overwhelmed when I AM around it. It's like sensory overload. Has anyone else experienced this?

Also vice versa. The more time I spend surrounded by music and people and action, the more I find quiet something that takes adjusting to. Either extreme can be clung to. I don't equate absence of sound with Silence.

Sean

Either extreme can be clung to. I don't equate absence of sound with Silence.

Sean

I knew you(or someone)was going to say that right after I wrote it.

Eckhart talks about this. His expression on finding the silence even around noise is very cool. It's easier to find the spaciousness around a flower than a traffic jam but it's still there.

Edited by Cameron

Somewhere along the line I discovered ambient music, Steve Roach, Brian Eno etc. I have it quietly playing in the background during my morning yoga/stretching. Some of my best zhan zhuang experiences have been outside in my backyard with birds chirpping, cars wizzing by and the odd helicopter flying overhead.

I should have clarified that I don't use music during meditation, I use it for my active yang exercises sometimes.

I first thought about this when I noticed robert peng used piano music in his courses.

(rain and gongs with centerpointe's awakening prologue, maybe)

I knew you(or someone)was going to say that right after I wrote it.

Eckhart talks about this. His expression on finding the silence even around noise is very cool. It's easier to find the spaciousness around a flower than a traffic jam but it's still there.

In Robert Peng's course he instructs you to listen to far away sounds. I too find it easier to meditate in nature with bird noises than in complete and total silence. I am planning a month long retreat in mountain cave I found soon, I wonder if I can handle that much sensory deprivation.

Interesting thread on sound. In our chi gung we use sound at the end. It always feels SOOO good. The associated sounds and shapes that resonate within the cavities are so nice to feel, particularlly how they transmit the sound around inside. Ie the chest transmits sound different then the lower dan tien which is different then the throat, etc. Obvously here we get into "organs" etc, but I just wanted to comment about the resonation of cavities in the body.

Also my teacher uses sound to clear the meridians after treating whatever pattern is present. Pretty much after the pattern is cleared using chi gung / tui na the whole person is really receptive. When you use sound it's like circulating water through a newly flushed irrigation system. You can't argue with a field going at 720mph. Music is such a blessing. Truly a bridge to the unseen, and in my practice has always produced experiential results.

Spectrum

Edited by Spectrum

Most of my journies have been accompanied by pink floyd or hybrid, both of which have a penchant for epic stacking of complex rythms and pad sounds. Gigantic synths and string overtures always seem to stir up all sorts of out-of-body works for me with ample concentration and/or enhancements. That said, the epic classical like Kyrie (mozart's) and the third movements of beethoven have similar effect.

As far as relaxation and less profound but equally stimulating sessions I enjoy elliot smith. I would suggest you sample his album XO if you enjoy quiet yet sometimes massive acoustic guitar work and listless floating vocals. Tragic story reading about him as well, but in the end I believe he accomplished what he came here to do. One listen to 'Sweet Adeline' or 'Tomorrow Tomorrow' and I fancy you'll agree.

I would love to enjoy more eastern music, japanese koto and the like. The soundtrack to hero et al, including the chess room music are exemplary, I just dont know what artists deal in that sort of sound or where to find them.

Kind regards,

Edited by maytagman

I did my masters thesis on music and taoism -- linked at http://nondualism.com/hempel.htm

Basically I discovered that the Perfect Fifth is 2:3 is YANG and the Perfect Fourth is 3:4 is YIN.

Western music uses logarthmic music which violates Taoism.

Western music is based on symmetry while Taoism is based on complimentary opposites.

The small universe is the same as the 12 notes of the music scale as created by the overtones of the Perfect Fifths as Yang.

The full-lotus is the Tetrahedron made up of 4 equilateral triangles, each made up of two 2-3-4 triangles resonating as 2:3 yang and 3:4 yin.

Listening is meditation and nonwestern music is tribal trance transduction.

The bushmen culture goes back to 80,000 BCE and uses music to create the same results as Taoism.

I have lots online about this

drew hempel

On the topic of intervals the 21:13 interval is worthy of note.

"It's interesting to note that the ratio 21/13 differs from phi by less than .003"

Also a minor 6th is not 21/13, but "close", and again that 21/13 is not Phi, but "close"...

but in relation to Taoism there are deeper paradoxes about the overtone series based on rational numbers of Fifths and the Golden Ratio which relies on 8:5 as the minor sixth.

Agree'd. Refreshing contributions thank you. So.... the ratios on the pentatonic scale go something 3rds and 5ths... Center note is the Earth tone and the start of the scale.... I don't think the minor sixth on the western scale is 21/13 or 8:5. It's like... if D# is your fundamental 1.618 would be a little higher then halfway between B & C. Yet on the western scale there is no B# or Cb.

I also remember something about the tendency for pitch to ascend as it moves up the scale, resulting in a phenomenon known as the pythagrean comma. Picking bits out of my memory here.

Spectrum

Edited by Spectrum

Another great thread!!!

Drew,

I haven't been able to access your thesis, but what do you think of the Confucian music theory?

Yoda

I did my masters thesis on music and taoism -- linked at http://nondualism.com/hempel.htm

Basically I discovered that the Perfect Fifth is 2:3 is YANG and the Perfect Fourth is 3:4 is YIN.

Western music uses logarthmic music which violates Taoism.

Western music is based on symmetry while Taoism is based on complimentary opposites.

The small universe is the same as the 12 notes of the music scale as created by the overtones of the Perfect Fifths as Yang.

The full-lotus is the Tetrahedron made up of 4 equilateral triangles, each made up of two 2-3-4 triangles resonating as 2:3 yang and 3:4 yin.

Listening is meditation and nonwestern music is tribal trance transduction.

The bushmen culture goes back to 80,000 BCE and uses music to create the same results as Taoism.

I have lots online about this

drew hempel

Man... Thanks. Reflecting. Have you read the "Christ the Eternal Tao" by Hieromonk Damascene? I can't seem to locate your music links off your mainpage. Above link doesn't work for me.

I've read some more and am really interested to speak on more topics. I'm windering if you have any links to physical arts you practice?

Here on your page your Lotus is beautiful. Is your art devotion based?

http://www.nondualism.com/download.asp?Fname=Conclusion

Spectrum

Edited by Spectrum

:D:D:D:D

at least questioning has brought you brrains together

there seems to be a man who has some alternative thoughts on the matter

"Golden Ratio by Dirk Huylebrouck."

have to go and paint the house and cut the grass im not a mathematcian so

all this stuff makes my body go highwire

Edited by rain

"at least questioning has brought you brrains together "

They were never apart, it's an illusion. ;)

Honestly I think emotional music is the BEST because of what it means to humans.... there are instances where all of nature seems to sing in chorus and harmony, and the source of music becomes so simple. This is not something we made up, yet we pulled it out of thin air...

Edited by Spectrum

Here are the opening lines to my sonnet on the Yi Jings' 16th hexagram-

these poems can be found @-

http://www.lulu.com/pdgart

Enthusiasm (16)

Leaders seduce with melodic voice to flesh out ranks they're filling;

Chanting monks reach ecstasy, as teen idols cause girls to swoon.

Marshall airs stir men up to march and take part in killing,

So I believe that much gets done compelled by a simple tune.

As a musician I strive play into the silence that allows the music to exist...as if my own spirit were a part of that series of notes and tones and the emptyness were the ear of the Tao...So it is the silence that calls to me to fill it with my spiritual expressions...

peace -

Here are the opening lines to my sonnet on the Yi Jings' 16th hexagram-

these poems can be found @-

http://www.lulu.com/pdgart

Enthusiasm (16)

Leaders seduce with melodic voice to flesh out ranks they're filling;

Chanting monks reach ecstasy, as teen idols cause girls to swoon.

Marshall airs stir men up to march and take part in killing,

So I believe that much gets done compelled by a simple tune.

As a musician I strive play into the silence that allows the music to exist...as if my own spirit were a part of that series of notes and tones and the emptyness were the ear of the Tao...So it is the silence that calls to me to fill it with my spiritual expressions...

peace -

Edited by rain

Sign in to follow this