mewtwo

martial artists in the real world?

So do you guyes that do martial arts, you ever have anyone go like "you do martial arts can you dodge this" and they throw a ball at you or such and you dont dodge it. I have had similar things happen and such. but I also have had times where I was able to catch something falling I attributed it to my martial arts.

What are your guyses stories?

• Like 1

Mmm no usually I get the phone book out. It's always good for a laugh.

what is this thing you call a phone book? is it like google?

• Like 2

I say it's out of context...it's not like you see it as a threat.

I'm sure if a guy yelled at you in the street and started approaching you with his fists up, you would react a tad differently!

Time was in MA that people from other styles would pop in to new dojos to challenge all comers to a bit of mat work and see who was 'best'.

You don't hear that happening much nowadays apart from in the MMA those lads do enjoy a ruck.

Anybody wanting a style where there is minimal chance of being erse kicked could do worse than playing Bagua.

No one can kick your erse if you are behind them whaling on their kidneys and popliteal fossae ( back of the knees, kick there and down he goes like a sack of spuds) really hard.

They is going down whilst wondering 'WHY?'

That said a decent MMA player will thrash most purists including Bagua purists nine times out of ten.

There's no 'no fair!' with MMA because what we term 'fouls' those dudes call technique.

:)

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 3

Time was in MA that people from other styles would pop in to new dojos to challenge all comers to a bit of mat work and see who was 'best'.

You don't hear that happening much nowadays apart from in the MMA those lads do enjoy a ruck.

Anybody wanting a style where there is minimal chance of being erse kicked could do worse than playing Bagua.

No one can kick your erse if you are behind them whaling on their kidneys and popliteal fossae ( back of the knees, kick there and down he goes like a sack of spuds) really hard.

They is going down whilst wondering 'WHY?'

That said a decent MMA player will thrash most purists including Bagua purists nine times out of ten.

There's no 'no fair!' with MMA because what we term 'fouls' those dudes call technique.

And Wing Chun has too many fouls to work in MMA.

Self defense...kick em in the nuts!

• Like 1

Huh ? "Fouls' in martial arts ????? :blink:

There are fouls in MMA comp. There are fouls in martial arts that have become sports and competition.

I have never heard of 'foul' in MSSR ! Maybe if one accidentally connected with a training partner too hard or on the 'wrong' spot - the reason not to do that is that , if it keeps happening, one might run out of partners willing to train with you.

I had one student that didnt like the way I taught him ... one day at about lesson 4 he goes ... what if I just 'rush you' and do .... anything?

Okay ..... but ..... you might get hurt.

He changed his mind. ... Good, I am now beyond putting myself at risk and sustaining injury just so I wont accidentally hurt some idiot.

Mr. Nishihira taught (and I agree with it, if one is 'good enough' ) there are 3 levels of application of MSSR

1. When your friends are joking around with tricks and things and yo dont want to appear to be weak or pushed around ... but you dont want to hurt them (seriously) .

2. When you defending yourself in an attack.

3. When you defending your home and family (here I assume something like a home invasion where one's family and children are at risk.

There is no 'sparring' in MSSR. Once, some guy (who didnt really get any of it) shaped up to Mr Nishihira after a training session ... teacher flew at him through the air. one high fake l roundhouse followed by a real one to the outside of r knee as he stepped back with l foot ... nasty damage.

Later, during the kaffufle the guy (now in hospital) said "I just wanted to see how he would hold up in a spar". Teacher said " He wanted to fight me!"

A concession was made ... Mrs Nishihira made Mr. Nishihira sleep on the lounge that night for 'being rude to visiting students' and no one tried to 'spar' him anymore.

... then there is the story of Patrick McCarthy ending up being stuck under the table in the training room ( he ended up there after being asked to see a particular throw demonstrated.

http://www.usadojo.com/articles/patrick-mccarthy/Thinking-Outside-the-Box.html

• Like 1

The last time I ended up talking to someone who did martial arts we smoked some cigarettes, smoked a bowl, demo'd some forms and then had a full on kung fu brawl in a strip mall parking lot.

http://www.azcorrections.gov/Inmate_datasearch/results_Minh.aspx?InmateNumber=152164&LastName=ZOTIGH&FNMI=L&SearchType=SearchInet&ReportLength=TOP_5

what is this thing you call a phone book? is it like google?

Like this sort of thing but if you have no focus mit then any padding is ok. haha

I watched a demo by some Krav Maga ( Sp?) players earlier this year.

It's something the Israeli Army came up with apparently.

That was bleddy impressive.

Far as the MMA goes I reckon there must be rules for some and fewer rules for other styles.

Here in the Midlands and North some MMA dojos run contests for money, quite big purses plus lots of side gambling on the outcomes of bouts.

There are no rules beyond outright murder being frowned upon and I've seen seconds having to wade in to prevent that happening.

Edited by GrandmasterP

About real world what I can say is that training (with rules) and fighting for real, to face a real injury, the vision of losing your life is pretty different. I did learn MMA with a former national top level karateka and he told us once that if he had to fight in the street with someone much bigger than him he would run...

In a street fight you have to deal with craziness, anger, hate, brutality, weapons (the violence in all its power!) more than technique. It's not the law of the stronger but the crazier.

For sure someone that keeps his/her skills and inner strength/calm, in the most stressful situation is obviously a master but I don't think much schools want to provide this kind of experiences and experimentations. Nowadays we fight with guns drones and samurais are over. Staying master of yourself is already challenging enough.

Edited by CloudHands
  • Like 4

I watched a demo by some Krav Maga ( Sp?) players earlier this year.

It's something the Israeli Army came up with apparently.

That was bleddy impressive.

Far as the MMA goes I reckon there must be rules for some and fewer rules for other styles.

Here in the Midlands and North some MMA dojos run contests for money, quite big purses plus lots of side gambling on the outcomes of bouts.

There are no rules beyond outright murder being frowned upon and I've seen seconds having to wade in to prevent that happening.

One of my mates is ex-Israeli army Krav-maga ... he is also in our MSSR club and does kobudo , he told me. " Most styles have their favourite weapon; bo, sword ... in aikido it it seems bokkan, jo, tanto ... but in krav maga the weapon is a handgun."

I guess its becasue of where they live and the situations that can happen.

To me , it seems like a mix of MSSR, and aikido (the way it used to work ;) ) ... or maybe we could call it 'common sense' (which seems an UNcommon thing in martial arts a lot of the time) bought up in a pressure cooker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOlQc0wHF8w

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

In a street fight you have to deal with craziness, anger, hate, brutality, weapons (the violence in all its power!) more than technique. It's not the law of the stronger but the crazier.

For sure someone that keeps his/her skills and inner strength/calm, in the most stressful situation is obviously a master but I don't think much schools want to provide this kind of experiences and experimentations. Nowadays we fight with guns drones and samurais are over. Staying master of yourself is already challenging enough.

The weapons part is the worst, you must always remember that I know Mexican judo.

The weapons part is the worst, you must always remember that I know Mexican judo.

Thats why a REAL fighting style (as opposed to a sport or competition) is going to be a better self defence training option.

In a real situation a weapon may be close to hand ( see Russian fight - knife Vs Stick ... Youtube wont let me open it today.) THIS is the way to defend yourself against a knife in a real situation ... I have seen so many WRONG! martial arts knife 'defence' vids and :rolleyes: .

OR an evasion behind something ... or an escape ... or throw something or .... please dont try to grab the knife arm or wrist :blush:

yes ... martial arts in the real world.

Thats why I detest some type of 'instruction' like this ; Jiyu waza ... instructor tells my opponents not to attack until I look at them and 'dont moster him' :rolleyes: - the kid that tried to 'monster me' ended up taking the wrong line ( my criticism) from a blind rear attack (no criticism there at all from me) and ended up being thrown into the other opposing two.

In 'real life' if I am attacked by multiple hostiles ... I will just

... say "Hang on a minute chaps" and set up my Porta-player and play some nice classical piano music and then " okay, lets do it! " :D

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 3

If the Mexican judo comment flew over anyone's head.

"Come on ese let's do this, I know karate."

"Tha's OK, I know Mexican judo."

"Mexican judo?"

"Judo know if I got a gun, judo know if I got a knife..."

I learned some aikido as a kid and the truly valuable stuff I took away from it were rolls, and knife/sword/staff work. I think there is a lot in the training of weapons in aikido that relates directly to martial neigong. Revisiting the "warm ups" and weapons work of aikido after learning some taiji - I can definitely see where the internal aspect of the art lies.

If the Mexican judo comment flew over anyone's head.

"Come on ese let's do this, I know karate."

"Tha's OK, I know Mexican judo."

"Mexican judo?"

"Judo know if I got a gun, judo know if I got a knife..."

I learned some aikido as a kid and the truly valuable stuff I took away from it were rolls, and knife/sword/staff work. I think there is a lot in the training of weapons in aikido that relates directly to martial neigong. Revisiting the "warm ups" and weapons work of aikido after learning some taiji - I can definitely see where the internal aspect of the art lies.

Judo realise I am about to flick dirt in your eyes with my foot?

I agree with you about aikido ... my comments relate to the threads title in relation to self defence ... but not about catching a surprise ball .

But dont throw the ball until I am looking at you :)

I'm not sure what you mean. You mean because the Bagua fighter is hamstrung and can't apply his/her techniques? And if s/he did, it would be a foul? So, ipso facto, when restricted to the rules of MMA, the Bagua fighter finds 90% of the art forbidden.

Or the other way around?

I just meant that in a down n dirty rumble a MMA fighter is likely to beat any MA purist.

Thing is with MA we train for and expect similar things within the style and fight other players of the same style.

Your MMA dude is coming into the contest with a wider 'menu' of techniques, some of which the MA purist isn't anticipating or at least, not anticipating fast enough.

• Like 2