Sign in to follow this  
Satya

Check this out: Amazing Dhikr/Zikr Sufi/Muslim Chanting

Hey, my friend posted this Chechen Zikr practice online, and, personally, it really resonates with me. Just thought I'd share.

http://www.snotr.com/video/10864/Chaotically_hypnotizing_Sufi_dance_Zikr_in_Chechnya

So deep, tribal, primordial. It sounds and looks amazing.

My impression of Dhikr was just of individuals Whirling, etc, with chants maybe at the same time, but, this looks completely different.

Any practising Sufis or Muslims here who can explain what this practice consists of? The chanting, movement, stomping, jumping, spinning, group aspect of it, all looks amazing. There must be loads of energy flying around.

Isn't Vajrasattva from a Sufi or Muslim background?

I'd like to know more.

Edited by Satya
  • Like 6

circle dancing and chanting are one of the cornerstones of inducing altered states and heightened experience...

that circle is humming! BOOM!

Awesome... thanks for sharing.

• Like 2

that circle is humming! BOOM!

Awesome... thanks for sharing.

Yeah it is! Most welcome. :)

circle dancing and chanting are one of the cornerstones of inducing altered states and heightened experience...

Yeah, from memory, in many documentaries and through popular media I've often seen people dancing, stood in circles (with some on the inside), but, either none, or not many actually dancing, moving in a circle.

Have you got any links/resources/books to suggest that cover the logistics of the practice? Where to go to experience it? Who practices it? Why they practice it? How to do it?

I think the closest thing I've come across is something in Michael Harner's 'The Way of the Shaman'. I THINK (I'll have to find it) he talks about australian Aborigines doing some kind of practice like it.

Thanks for that - cool. They really got it going there !

I saw a doco on Chechnya once with the most amazing soundtrack ... sort of modern but with traditional overtones - it was amazing music and I have been trying to find it ever since - no luck! :(

I did something similar here with the indigenous ... a snake dance, had about 150 people in it, circling, rhythmic breathing with a word, and with a specific step ... all in sync ... and a hand movement with the body sway and step ... it started in a circle but the leader broke it and made a winding snake path ... past where the elders were seated ... then joined us all back again ... then into the middle with a sweeping movement and a hoo - hoo - hoo noise, to a climax and the everyone would sort of tinkle backwards on the toes making a noise like tittering children ... into a large circle and start again ... with didgeridoo and clapsticks going ... its hard to describe but a wonderful experience ... the rainbow serpent dance of the creator spirit .... and one stage as I passed the elders I noticed they were crying.

Later one told me that this was the first time they had been invited onto privately 'owned' land to teach a ceremony to white people since the massacres here ... that in itself added a powerful element to the ceremony.

Here is a zoroastrian fire ceremony (I think some of their rites carried over into Sufism)

Zoroastrianism_Religious_Celebration_Ira

• Like 1

Internets out atm, just at a friends and catching up on emails, so, can't be long, but, a fellow Taobum PMd me with this link:

http://www.schoolofsufiteaching.org/qal/sufism.html

saying that they could potentially clarify the logistics of the practices.

Got lots to do, but when it's done, unless someone provides answers here, I'll be looking into it, and will be sure to post any answers I find. :)

awesome. this would be great experience.

A little different. But when i was in India, many people would come together and would make spirals that flow outward composed of people holding hands. They would go boy,girl,boy,girl,etc. and my friend who did it said he could feel the energy intensely.

Spiral.gif

Edited by MooNiNite

Sign in to follow this