Sign in to follow this  
skydog

I suffer

wahhh

Edited by skydog

or... do they just keep resonating outward and inward in cyclical reflections...

hmm...

until they all ultimately return to the still point. Not the end though. Something will start vibrating somehow, and the whole process will begin once again. Perhaps not in this world system. There are other world systems, just as there are different dimensions. :)

• Like 2

This often doesn't do a lick of good. But when things are bad, the sky is blue, grass is green, air is fresh- the lungs drink it in and it provides life. There's a mental trick to shutting out the past and present future and just appreciating the breath and colors of the world. Doesn't always work.

I cycle through guided meditations. This morning I listened to Glenn Morris's Secret Smile. Its very good. I'm a better person when I do the practice a couple times a day, usually in the washroom. Maybe I'll make it my side practice the next couple of weeks.

• Like 2

I get a reset when I watch the waves bounce off the shoreline.

Natural, rhythmic, cyclical process that has abided the present epoch.

F.U. Descartes :P

• Like 2

We all suffer Sinan.

Suffering is our default setting.

It's how to best deal with suffering that can be quite fun in the trying of various paths to 'deal with'.

:)

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

We all suffer Sinan.

Suffering is our default setting.

It's how to best deal with suffering that can be quite fun in the trying of various paths to 'deal with'.

:)

I disagree with the 2nd statement, GMP, if you meant that suffering is inherent.

Fair enough.

I'll respect your opinion there CT.

I don't share it but it is as equally valid a point as is mine.

Possibly we only differ on semantics.

If suffering 'is' then I'd say that it 'inheres' in the sufferer.

Hence 'suffering is' at the point where it is experienced.

The aetiology is debatable but I'd say that suffering is only 'effected' within a sufferer and will defer to you as to wherever suffering may or may not 'come from' and 'why suffering arises''.

Deep Bow.

/.\

Edited by GrandmasterP

It is not possible actually to experience suffering, because suffering is a conceptual idea, tied to ever-changing habits and conditions. What is experienced are the tendencies and results of these ever-changing habits and conditioning, not suffering itself, because suffering can not be a 'result', implying fruition. Since everything changes, fruition is impossible. What is perceived as a result or a fruit also goes thru changes as it arises. If suffering is a default setting, then it becomes a permanent result, which implies the impossibility of change, yet we see people changing their circumstances all the time, or vice versa.

What is probable is the mind wallowing avidly in the concept that 'life is miserable and full of grief', and proceed to live out such a life.

Its not my intention to argue with your good self. The purpose of wanting to address this point mainly is to correct some readers' perception that Buddhism promotes the notion that life is suffering.

The Tathagatha observed the over-bearing and misdirected dualistic views that was prevalent in people's minds at that time, and concluded that due to the habits of clinging and aversion, unnecessary misery befalls a person. He then set about to devise a set of teachings that can help correct this misperception, and if diligently applied, will lead to the cessation of the delusional view that suffering is an inherent state in beings.

While it is very possible we can (and sometimes will) experience a spectrum of miserable conditions, not all of these conditions will result in actual misery all of the time. If it were so, life would be impossible to cope. There are degrees of manifestation of these conditions, which then brings up the question: at which point of noticing a particular unsatisfactory condition can one actually point the finger and say, "There, that is the point where (the notion of) suffering manifests?" Since we are not able to trace the actual source at which our notions of suffering are formed, we can tentatively conclude that this notion is not at all real. It can only be real if the source of suffering is found, and since its clear that everything, including misery, comes about as a process of causes superimposing on conditions, with no single traceable source, by the same token, in reversing the process, misery will be diminished accordingly.

Edited by C T
  • Like 2

all of nature... all of reality, everything (including absolute nothingness) breathes in... retains breath... breathes out... and eventually lets go of all breath and/or automates.

A bit off topic, but this is what i wrote back on the 6th of March, 2008 ---

"Breath is vital. In fact, it IS vitality itself, and the primary physical link to the potential for liberation. With the first in-breath, we were delivered into the realm of Knowing, and with the release of the last out-breath, we will reunite with the realm of Nondescript. In between this major breath cycle are little engagements with expansion, freedom and death - therefore it is good to learn how to breathe well, and be one with breath. Take not for granted this gift, for it is the gateway to being in the divine presence of now, and can be a valuable lesson in impermanence and letting go of clinging." - - a.

Your post was a timely reminder to breathe well. Thank you.

• Like 2

I .. 2nd statement, GMP, if you meant that suffering is inherent.

I inherent my suffering from my parents

& give it to my children ;).

• Like 1

I inherent my suffering from my parents

& give it to my children ;).

That's an example of gross misunderstanding, sorry. Unless you were just saying that in a non-serious way.

Sign in to follow this