UTI

shaking from/in the dantian

Hey!

So, from what i've understood most systems of inner alchemy have similar stages of development.

Also, most of them have elements of accumulating inner fire, pairing yin and yang/water and fire/lead and mercury/hun and po. The theory of it can be understood in many different terms, and is in most cases described clearly.

I've been wondering about something that doesn't take much space in literature though: vibrations in the dantian.

I've been able to find cross-cultural references to most stages of inner development and alchemy, but have a hard time finding references to the stage of development where the dantian starts shaking/vibrating.

Do any of you have any thoughts on this? How is it mentioned symbolically in literature about neidan (or other systems). What are your experiences? Is it a theoretical part of a system you practice?

One thought I've had as an explanation is that many of the signs of development are purposefully not described, as to avoid that a student focuses on a result in stead of the method, and ends up distorting the process and bringing about an incomplete elixir, or harming the body. Thus the teacher will know for sure when the sign develops that the student is ready, and not just "willing" forth an effect in the body.

I'm going to ask my shifu about this on thursday, until then I hope I can pass the subject back and forth with you bums a bit :)

I'm not so much speaking of my experiences of it, as much as inquiring about if anyone has any reference to neidan literature where the occurance of shaking in the dantian is mentioned, or symbolically indicated.

As to my experience, the shaking occurs after warm/soft and cold/hard qi mixes in equal proportions in the dantian. Don't know what you refer to as "it". I move the qi in various ways, yes, but the dantian stays put.

I was referring to the dantian being manipulated but you might experience something similar if you're moving Qi around there. Like a little shock/spasm?

Ah, I see what you mean. This is a shake/vibrating that persists, usually at the end of my practice, for 5-10 minutes. It's mainly in the dantian, but sometimes I can feel it in my whole body.

• Like 1

That is good, evidence you are putting in the practice. Let the vibration permeate every bit of you, saturate down the the planck size. Make sure you get good deep stillness after this manifestation so as to more thoroughly integrate the vibrational patterns.

• Like 4

I talked to my shifu about this today.

He says that it is a sign that "medicine" is forming. After yin and yang start mending in the dantian, in the post-natal form of kan and li, and after they repeatedly meet and give off qi, they become balanced. when they reach a balance and there is equal part kan and li, the "medicine" forms. A sign of this is the shaking -it is a form of qi being produced that has not existed in the body before.

When the dantian starts shaking it is important to keep practicing, and to not let the qi go anywhere but through the xiao zhou tian (MCO).

That is what my shifu has to say about it.

I am still very interested to hear about historical sources for this stage of neidan, if anyone has one up their sleeve. I haven't read up too much on old texts of neidan, but I will look through what I have again, and post back here if I find some interesting passages. There's quite a lot of descriptions about various terms for "medicine" being formed, i think.

Edited by UTI
  • Like 2

I know someone who gets this. Her dantien shakes her entire body when she puts too much intention there. Her taiji teacher said just to not think about it so much. The slow and steady approach I guess.

It was interesting. She could just turn on the shake at will.

• Like 1

I know someone who gets this. Her dantien shakes her entire body when she puts too much intention there. Her taiji teacher said just to not think about it so much. The slow and steady approach I guess.

Yes, there is definitely a correlation between degree of intention and rate of shaking. If I put too much qi in, it shakes more. Or if I contract the dantian too much when "mixing, adding and subtracting".

Perhaps the shaking itself is an indication that the qi being formed is trying to integrate itself, to find balance, and letting it seep out would stop that process.

they all shake. wait till the upper one starts

I can hardly wait!

• Like 1

I've noticed in the past 3 months or so a very strange feeling in the dantien area behind the bellybutton. I wouldn't call it 'shaking', but more of a small vibration. It's accompanied, when it's there, with a sense that all my organs have melted together. All in all it is a nice, warm feeling of well being. it always happens when I either touch another person (especially if I have a 'healing intent' on the touch) or especially if I hold a young animal - like a kitten or puppy. They just put off so much energy it makes my dantien tingle - it feels like a current of sorts going through.

Energy balancing 'feels' right to me, UTI. I PM'd Ya Mu about this very thing a couple weeks ago; as the feeling is getting stronger. He says he's feeling a goodly kick-up of the energy too, and that we are not alone. Seems to be kicking up in sensitive people more often, according to him. I can't help but wonder about cosmic alignments and wonder if there's a magnetic connection.

• Like 1

Summer solstice was last week.

Powerful times are solstice times and at June 20th the OP is pretty close to solstice.

Nothing here to report though.

All 'as usual' cultivation wise albeit I've been 'inner smiling' at a temporarily troublesome organ of late.

That brings the 'new puppy' tingle now and again.

I think inner smile's supposed to have that or similar effects.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

It seems like it can be turned on at will. If i think in my mind 'I love you, I love you' toward another - even if it's someone I don't know - it starts the current.

It seems like it can be turned on at will. If i think in my mind 'I love you, I love you' toward another - even if it's someone I don't know - it starts the current.

Is that the only way you can get the current to flow in LDT?

This seems to be a key, to have a balance of emotion (love is very balancing, as we know).

I have noticed clearly that I practice much more effeiciently when I am around my children. A few years ago I still had the idea that if I had a week to myself I could meditate all I wanted. But, with them not there, I could hardly find a beginning to my practice. Now, though, I've realized, that when I have them around me I am always in "love". This opens up my energy and lets it flow.

The shaking for me comes after the emptiness, though. But I wouldn't get there as fast if I didn't have love through and around me.

Summer solstice was last week.

Powerful times are solstice times and at June 20th the OP is pretty close to solstice.

Nothing here to report though.

All 'as usual' cultivation wise albeit I've been 'inner smiling' at a temporarily troublesome organ of late.

That brings the 'new puppy' tingle now and again.

I think inner smile's supposed to have that or similar effects.

Yes, There was more activity around the solstice. I felt it quite a bit.

Also, since tonight is the new moon, I will have a late meditation session. Extra interesting since it's also close to the solstice.

Having thoughts of drawing the water down from fire. Lifting the fire out of water. And such things. Tonight should be a good night for it.

Edited by UTI
  • Like 2

There's definitely a moon influence on cultivation and much else.

One forum I visit goes bat shit crazy around every full moon.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 4

Yeah, most neidan texts put a lot of emphasis on the importance of timing when practicing to have the proper results. I find it makes a really big difference depending on when it is during the day, month, or year.

Horus - No - it happens when I'm touching someone else - it also gives a feeling of being connected 'as one being' - like there's no separation. it also happens if I'm just alone and, say, reading a book and happen to place my hand on my stomach or a thigh - then the energy seems to triangulate through the dantien, to the spot I'm touching. It is very dynamic right now.

it sort of feels like I've turned into a warm bag of Pepsi.

Edited by manitou
  • Like 2