Lataif

Can't be confident about answer I get . . .

Well, what can we do with me . . . if I ask Taoist teachers a question . . . and then doubt the motivation for their answer (?)

It's a simple question: is circumcision an energetic disability in the practice of QiGong (?)

Circumcision is definitely NOT traditional in Chinese culture. But when I ask Taoist teachers about it, I'm not confident that I get an honest answer.

I mean . . . look at it from the teachers' viewpoint. American students have comparatively high rates of circumcision and there's nothing the teachers or the students can do about that . . . after the fact.

So even it it's true that circumcision is an energetic disability . . . why admit it (?) It only discourages the students . . . and loses them as paying customers.

What do people here say about this (?)

I honestly don't know ... I mean losing any part of your original body is a bad thing...but in terms of affecting your ability to reach enlightenment, it shouldn't hinder you, besides the fact that you're letting it bother you.

I've heard that the spiritual body remains unchanged even when losing a limb, at least for a while after. Does that mean we can build it back up? Perhaps that's linked to how reptiles are able to regrow missing limbs.

Anyway, simple mental attainment is said to be (by certain schools) equal to any physical methods. If you really feel like it's holding you back physically, maybe focus more on the clarity of your mental state instead.

• Like 1

Well, loosing a piece of skin should have no physiological effect on one's body.
Circumcision has nothing to do with Chi Kung. One can live a normal sex life as the same without circumcision.

Edited by ChiDragon
  • Like 3

I cannot see any energetic disability regarding Qi Gong from circumcision.

(I am not circumcised so I am not speaking from personal experience - but it would not appear to have any consequence on advanced techniques involving breathing techniques and so forth in that area)

I would say definitely not anything of any consequence even if some damage beyond normal had occurred as a result of the operation (aside from testicular damage).

Edited by Spotless

Well, every male Jew is circumcized and if you have ever been around any of their military forces I doubt you will ever see any loss of energy.

• Like 1

the fact that you're letting it bother you.

That's pretty much it, imo.

However, the microbiome, which plays a HUGE role in our health and energy, is in fact affected by the procedure. It may well be a positive effect, but a difference nonetheless.

But really, there are sooooo many men who are circumcised, a tremendous study group, if there were any negative side-effects, physiological or spiritual, there'd be more discussion about it.

I think the one thing to remain skeptical about is any guru who gives you a definite answer one way or the other.

• Like 2

There is circumcision in China possibly more circumcised Chinese guys than anywhere else given the population count.

Some do, some don't.

All the Chinese Moslems do for sure and there are plenty of those.

The messianic dudes go on for it too.

Not sure about Falun Dafa.

I can't see that it makes any difference anymore than someone having their tonsils removed would affect cultivation.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Yea aside from it being a meaningless and silly practice, I can't see it affecting spiritual or energy advancement. The only real drawback is decreased sensitivity for the poor chaps whose misguided parents subjected him to it. Glad my Dad comes from a line of critical thinkers and agnostics...

Before I had my vasectomy though, I consulted a few long term Qi Gong practitioners about the potential affect as the seed is such an important fulcrum/symbol in the taoist paradigm. I thought there could be serious issues there:

The first replied...

"I don't know, but am interested in getting the procedure as well and would like to know myself."

My teacher said. "Qi finds a way."

My cousin, the third I consulted also a long term practitioner who had it done years ago (like 10), noticed no drawbacks to his practice. He's studying in Hawaii now to become a Dr of Chinese Medicine and doing well.

I went ahead with it.

This was a few years ago and I've noticed no drawbacks either. In fact just in the last few weeks my cultivation took another leap into deeper calmer waters.

And on a side note... the word vasectomy is perhaps the greatest aphrodisiac I've found for women over 40... at least in Mrs. Thunder's case... :D

Yea aside from it being a meaningless and silly practice,

But it did have a very useful purpose way back when. Just like not eating pork. Way back when there was logic behind not eating it.

• Like 1

True enough.... the power of refrigeration and a bath... poor desert dwellers.

Still don't get the logic behind not mixing your clothing fibers though...

edit: or selling your daughters into slavery, or blood sacrifices... or the rest... :blink:

Edited by silent thunder

Chuang Tsu is full of examples of people's radiance overshadowing apparent and extreme disfigurments.

What matters if a foot is missing when one is united with the tao?

None of us are born in "perfection"; many of us have slight imbalances in our bodies which affect the way our energy flows. The psychological effects of our past lives and balances of the stars and energies when we were conceived and born are all related, and all contribute to the psychological and physiological "perspective" we must learn to dissolve so we can unite with the tao and discover our true selves.

Anything we single out and attach to creates a polarity. Doesn't matter if we're attached to the good or bad side of something, by attaching to it we create both! To oppose something one only maintains it. Best dissolve it or it will always have power over you. A good way to dissolve things is to increase your unwavering sincerity in the direction of your natural virtuous self. Then remain flexible and adaptive to flow harmoneously through all the challenges life brings. Firm on the inside, flexible on the outside, yielding to remain whole; equanimous.

One theory is that circumcision helps to reduce masturbation in teenage boys, so it helps preserve jing which aids cultivation.

True enough.... the power of refrigeration and a bath... poor desert dwellers.

Still don't get the logic behind not mixing your clothing fibers though...

edit: or selling your daughters into slavery, or blood sacrifices... or the rest... :blink:

Yeah, there's a lot we don't understand. Never will, I suppose, unless we actually live the life.

One theory is that circumcision helps to reduce masturbation in teenage boys, so it helps preserve jing which aids cultivation.

hmnn, didn't work that way for me :).

back to OP, I'd assume you lose more energy worrying about such a thing, then the act itself. Which is true of so many things.

hmnn, didn't work that way for me :).

Well, at least you likely stopped until the cut healed. That's something.

I´m not for circumcision but throw my vote in with the "don´t worry about it" crowd. Even if it represents a disadvantage energetically, which it probably doesn´t, so what? Very few of us are dealt a perfect hand in life spiritually speaking. We´ve all got strengths and weaknesses from ancesteral influences, karma, astrology, early childhood experiences, and our own good and bad choices along the way.

I, for one, arrived on the planet in perfectly imperfect condition, and have muddled my way this far under imperfectly perfect conditions. Guess I´ll just make the most of it anyway.

Liminal

• Like 2