Sign in to follow this  
Everything

1000 Dollars for Transcendental Meditation?

I'm very confused. There's video's all over youtube where bums, prisoners, regular students, up to Ellen, Jim Carrey and even Jerry Seinfield can't tell you enough good things about the meditation, but absolutely no one, and nowhere on the internet is there a tutorial on HOW to actually do it. It's absolutely TOP secret. The founder Maharishi did explain it in the most general way possible, and talks about, as does everyone in existance, HOW SIMPLE IT IS! And yet no one can share how to do it, and you need a certified instructor and you have to pay atleast a thousand of dollars to learn what is claimed to be the most simple of meditations... Most effective and simple meditation OF ALL THE MEDITATIONS OUT THERE. Jerry Seinfield talks about how he's done it for 40 years and he doesn't even remember how the hell he came across it. Learned it somewhere when he was a kid. He didn't pay 1000 dollars for it, now did he? I think you will remember very clearly when you pay 1000 dollars for something. Why do we have to pay 1000-1500 dollars for it? If it is too hard to do on my own, then I will consider myself if I want help or not and wether I wanna pay 1000 dollars for it. But paying more then 1000 dollars for what is claimed to be the most simple of meditations in existance, which is nowhere to be found on the internet, sounds more like joining a cult to me.

Seriously, I can't even find ONE tutorial on youtube for Transcendental Meditation. Don't we have the right to freely share this information? Does learning Transcendental Meditation require an oath to keep it a secret? Does it require devotion to a certain Being of Unity in order to have this meditation revealed in your experience? Or perhaps, are all the claims about it a lie and is it the most complex meditation in all of existance, hence explaining why no one is willing to even bother sharing it and recommends a certified teacher?

I hope there's someone here who knows more about it.

• Like 1

I looked into it briefly as it was so hyped some decades ago...

From what little I came across when looking into it, was that it was the most basic of mantra meditations.

The $$$$ is for the coveted syllables of secrecy...

Have people benefited from it? Certainly. But did they need to spend that money to gain that benefit, absolutely not. Benefit comes from dedication and to me, in the end, there is only one system... the human system and you need no teacher and there are no fees.

That said, I'd still highly recommend finding a live teacher you resonate with as that can stave off many pitfalls, but to charge the kind of money that TM does, for what it offers.... I passed.

If you think that is pricey, then sign up for the yogic flying course in Fairfield Iowa the home of Maharishi University of Management. Other siddhi programs are offered. I know someone who blows 25,000 at a time for such courses at this school.

• Like 1

I just spent $80 for a week of lectures, daily meditations (twice per day), an offering ceremony and an empowerment... (something had to pay the monks' airfare)

There was this local teacher who used to charge thousands for each secret technique! I always find this unfortunate when only the really wealthy can receive certain teachings. The humorous part of that is most of these teachings originated in countries where an evening meal for 2 out here (north america) would cover their expenses for an entire year ;).

• Like 3

:wacko: wow, it's amazing how relative money is and how much some people have of it... to spend 25k on... wow

and for the OP here's a link made by a guy claiming to be a former teacher of TM

http://www.suggestibility.org/

This person I know spends most of his time there.. So far he is unable to fly and not much improvement in his personality. :(

• Like 1

I could teach them to fly for a fraction of that !

20080520023200_300%20this%20is%20sparta.

Why bother explaining what meditating is ... when everyone already knows ?

Apparently; like the Lama said "Now we meditate." Everyone sat in lotus and closed their eyes ... and he laughed at them.

I laughed too ... because I thought there were hundreds of different types and styles and effects and results of all different sorts of 'meditations' ... but not many discuss that ... not even the dif. between 'active' and 'passive' meditation.

• Like 2

:wacko: wow, it's amazing how relative money is and how much some people have of it... to spend 25k on... wow

and for the OP here's a link made by a guy claiming to be a former teacher of TM

http://www.suggestibility.org/

wow thanks

Thats allot of information exactly what I was looking for.

• Like 1

http://thetaobums.com/topic/34640-please-can-anyone-help-mei-have-qi-stuck-in-my-head-and-its-ruining-my-life/?p=553769

And this:

http://www.amazon.com/Relaxation-Response-Herbert-Benson-M-D-ebook/dp/B002OMZTTO

If you understand Patanjali's limbs of yoga, you will realize that TM is cultivation in the opposite direction. It is training in non-sustained concentration. It is a method of self hypnotism in which you lose control and can really cause some overload problems, especially if you have other practices. I have not heard of one authentic case of enlightenment resulting from TM, just a few who somehow convinced themselves that they realized something, and then proceeded to sell their books to the unknowing.

I believe that TM is one of the biggest shams going.

:(

Edited by Tibetan_Ice
  • Like 2

http://thetaobums.com/topic/34640-please-can-anyone-help-mei-have-qi-stuck-in-my-head-and-its-ruining-my-life/?p=553769

And this:

http://www.amazon.com/Relaxation-Response-Herbert-Benson-M-D-ebook/dp/B002OMZTTO

If you understand Patanjali's limbs of yoga, you will realize that TM is cultivation in the opposite direction. It is training in non-sustained concentration. It is a method of self hypnotism in which you lose control and can really cause some overload problems, especially if you have other practices. I have not heard of one authentic case of enlightenment resulting from TM, just a few who somehow convinced themselves that they realized something, and then proceeded to sell their books to the unknowing.

I am very hesitant to call anything a sham when it comes to the selling of happiness. I know that the most annoying thing for a not happy person is to focus on a happy person. And done long enough, this person will literally create a projected monster unto that happy person. You cannot resonate on their happiness so it seems that their happiness is out of place and FALSE in the evil sense of the word "FALSE" like a false being. A trickster, a con artist, a devil.

Yet, what will work for you, in making you happy, might not be so diffrent after all... In terms of likely being interpreted as FALSE for many other people. Feeling is an highly individualised guidance system afterall! Happiness always comes in weird and most unexpected ways. Where for the acquiring of most things is required effort, happiness requires NO effort at all. So tricking people into happiness may not be such a sham afterall. Especially if you can get tricked.

I agree with Maharishi on one thing, and that is also the one piece of information that I feel a certain sense of certitude about, is that every person is inclined to reach for that which feels better. Allways. Even if that means to denie that we are always reaching for something that feels betters, then we denie that we reach for something that feels better, and we feel better in our not reaching for what feels better. Because our definition of "reaching for what feels better" feels worse, so we don't want to agree with it, because it feels worse and we don't want to feel worse, we want to feel better.

Edited by Everything

But desire and the fulfillment of desire which produces happiness is a formula for suffering.

And if you desire for nothing, then its effortless, because you don't need anything to have nothing.

And if you desire for nothing, then its effortless, because you don't need anything to have nothing.

And if you have no desire, not even for nothing, you have everything.

And this:

That first link is very sad - I hope she's OK now.

Some people seem to be very badly affected by TM

Here's something else that's worth a read for anyone tempted by the TM nonsense: -

http://minet.org/ (minet.org)

http://thetaobums.com/topic/20595-mantras/ (thetaobums.com/topic/20595-mantras)

And if you have no desire, not even for nothing, you have everything.

No, if you have no desire, then you don't exists, let alone be alive. So you have desire. Infact, desire and the summoning of desire is life force itself.

Desire is only suffering if your expectation/belief is diffrent from your desire.

Like, I want friendship but I believe that I'm not worthy of such and I believe I don't even deserve one person to care about me. Now this life summoning desire is felt as despair because the expectation is RESISTANT of the desire and not allowing the energy to flow. And yes, sometimes not focusing on the subject of desire causes the unexpectancy of your deservingness to dissolve and release the resistance and despair and suffering, and thus allow you to actually SURRENDER to the life force that is coming through you as desire, but that doesn't mean you killed the desire. You killed your ego and now the desire can flow and give to you what you want. That is why people teach meditation. To settle into effortlessness, which is a state of expectancy that is aligned with the fulfillment of your desire.

I could teach them to fly for a fraction of that !

20080520023200_300%20this%20is%20sparta.

Why bother explaining what meditating is ... when everyone already knows ?

Apparently; like the Lama said "Now we meditate." Everyone sat in lotus and closed their eyes ... and he laughed at them.

I laughed too ... because I thought there were hundreds of different types and styles and effects and results of all different sorts of 'meditations' ... but not many discuss that ... not even the dif. between 'active' and 'passive' meditation.

That's why I'm curious if anyone knows about the TM technique, because it's said that there is absolutely no concentration involved. No focusing on a mantra and not even lotus position required. The mantra is used as a vehicle to reach subtler stages of thought, so as to eventually reach the source of thought. How on earth do they do that? Ohm your way into the source of ohm? It makes no freaking sense to me.

No, if you have no desire, then you don't exists, let alone be alive. So you have desire. Infact, desire and the summoning of desire is life force itself.

Desire is only suffering if your expectation/belief is diffrent from your desire.

Like, I want friendship but I believe that I'm not worthy of such and I believe I don't even deserve one person to care about me. Now this life summoning desire is felt as despair because the expectation is RESISTANT of the desire and not allowing the energy to flow. And yes, sometimes not focusing on the subject of desire causes the unexpectancy of your deservingness to dissolve and release the resistance and despair and suffering, and thus allow you to actually SURRENDER to the life force that is coming through you as desire, but that doesn't mean you killed the desire. You killed your ego and now the desire can flow and give to you what you want. That is why people teach meditation. To settle into effortlessness, which is a state of expectancy that is aligned with the fulfillment of your desire.

So the buddha and Lao Tzu were wrong and you're right?

So the buddha and Lao Tzu were wrong and you're right?

HHahaha, no ofcourse not. I'm just clearing out that they were talking about wanting something and not believing that it can happen is the cause of suffering. That which most people talk about when they use the word desire. The negative sense if resisting the natural flow of desire. Your personal unique individual perspective naturally allows for new life giving perspective and thus inspires new life giving desire. If there's no resistace within you to that flow of life, meaning your individual perspective does not contradict thefulfillment of your desire, you naturally flow that desire through deserving expectancy. You want and you have and you want and you have. Effortless expectancy of the fulfillment of your desire. And you are happy. Suffering comes when you are aware of something you want you believe you don't have, cannot have or doesn't exist. It is an inherent disbelieve. It is resistace. Religion has called it infidelity. The cure is the release if resistace, the surrendering to the fulfillment and realities natural tendency towards the fulfillment of every and all desire.

For example, does the footballer suffer because of the desire to perform optimal and express a wonderous goal? No, the footballer does nothing and leaves nothing undone. Meaning, he's completely surrendered his personal perspective to the natural flow of his desire, being to perform that goal. And he is riding that wave of exhiliration and passion even as the fulfillment of his desire is coming to fruition. There's a flow a way that is allowed which causes happiness to happen. But if you get in the way of this flow and stream, like through thoughts of doubt, you experience what is called suffering. As soon as you stop resisting and surrender to the flow of happiness you naturally move with that stream instantly. There's no effort required in this. That is why the idea of "having to get something I don't have" is causing suffering. Because it assumes the requirement of effort or action. That is the negative sense of desire. The resistance towards the already present fulfillment of your desire, the natural flow of your happiness.

That's why I'm curious if anyone knows about the TM technique, because it's said that there is absolutely no concentration involved. No focusing on a mantra and not even lotus position required. The mantra is used as a vehicle to reach subtler stages of thought, so as to eventually reach the source of thought. How on earth do they do that? Ohm your way into the source of ohm? It makes no freaking sense to me.

techniques....its all about the attenuation of the cranial nerves. whether its via anapana, mantra, asana...

this is just all paths reach the top of the mountain thing. some paths will be better for some than others.

personally, my view of tm is similar to tibetan ice's. imho better to take a more direct path, but that's just the way I roll :D

• Like 2

poo

Edited by skydog

HHahaha, no ofcourse not. I'm just clearing out that they were talking about wanting something and not believing that it can happen is the cause of suffering. That which most people talk about when they use the word desire. The negative sense if resisting the natural flow of desire. Your personal unique individual perspective naturally allows for new life giving perspective and thus inspires new life giving desire. If there's no resistace within you to that flow of life, meaning your individual perspective does not contradict thefulfillment of your desire, you naturally flow that desire through deserving expectancy. You want and you have and you want and you have. Effortless expectancy of the fulfillment of your desire. And you are happy. Suffering comes when you are aware of something you want you believe you don't have, cannot have or doesn't exist. It is an inherent disbelieve. It is resistace. Religion has called it infidelity. The cure is the release if resistace, the surrendering to the fulfillment and realities natural tendency towards the fulfillment of every and all desire.

For example, does the footballer suffer because of the desire to perform optimal and express a wonderous goal? No, the footballer does nothing and leaves nothing undone. Meaning, he's completely surrendered his personal perspective to the natural flow of his desire, being to perform that goal. And he is riding that wave of exhiliration and passion even as the fulfillment of his desire is coming to fruition. There's a flow a way that is allowed which causes happiness to happen. But if you get in the way of this flow and stream, like through thoughts of doubt, you experience what is called suffering. As soon as you stop resisting and surrender to the flow of happiness you naturally move with that stream instantly. There's no effort required in this. That is why the idea of "having to get something I don't have" is causing suffering. Because it assumes the requirement of effort or action. That is the negative sense of desire. The resistance towards the already present fulfillment of your desire, the natural flow of your happiness.

Even if you fulfill all of your desires you still won't be happy. And didn't Ted Bundy surrender to the natural flow of his desire? XD

Edited by grabmywrist4

there is out there books, and some old lines.

100K awakening people on the internet telling you something that you need to stop searching and do it right now.

its not that you need to become desireless first or save bugs, and help snails to cross the road you can do it right now..

Its that when you become awakened and then evolve along the path desires start to fall away.

Becoming enlightened is your birthright. Only to get more enlightened you need merit.

when you have already read about meditation and believe in enlightenment you have enough merit to become enlightened. If you would have no merit then talk about enlightenemnt would go from one ear in and other out.

Edited by allinone

Even if you fulfill all of your desires you still won't be happy. And didn't Ted Bundy surrender to the natural flow of his desire? XD

If you fulfill all of your desires you stand in a new place and new perspective from which you are inspired new desire. There's not even an interruption in your happiness let alone having to wait for the happiness that is already there.

Who's ted bundy?

If you fulfill all of your desires you stand in a new place and new perspective from which you are inspired new desire. There's not even an interruption in your happiness let alone having to wait for the happiness that is already there.Who's ted bundy?

Ted Bundy was a serial killer. And there's no such thing as fulfilling your desires. You can have sex one thousand times and your desire for sex will never be satisfied. Eating a good meal, getting a hot wife, riding a roller coaster, the happiness these things give you is impermenent and it will disappear. And when it disappears you just want to go get it again, and you get it again and then it disappears again, and you end up what the Chinese use to call a wolf of the material world. Constantly on the hunt for things that don't actually make you happy, and then you die. And then you're reborn and you do it again.

Sign in to follow this