LAOLONG

best acdemic book on taoist internal alchemy

science and civilisation in china , volume 5 ,part 5,by joseph needham,

(cambridge university press).

try to get it in a library.

• Like 3

Here's an affordable gloss on that 'library- expensive' academic work.

All the good stuff without any of the arcane academic point- scoring in the original volume which began life as a PhD Thesis and shows it...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Shorter-Science-Civilisation-China/dp/052146773X/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1403004719&sr=8-6&keywords=Science+and+civilisation+in+china+volume+5

Feng Shui magazine Review here... ( Mods no copyright issues here as I co-wrote the review).

"This is an abridged version of the first two volumes of Joseph Needham's masterwork "Science and Civilisation in China", an enormous work of scholarship intended to be the definitive history of the development of science and technology in China. This "Shorter" version is much more accessible to the general public, and in particular covers the topics which form the background to the development of Feng Shui. Few Westerners are aware of the high level of science and technology developed in China over the four thousand years, and how often the Chinese were ahead of the West in inventions such as gunpowder, cast iron, wheelbarrows, rudders, printing and water-power. This book details three main areas: firstly the history of Chinese Science and how it may have been transferred to the West via the Silk Routes. The second part looks at the Chinese Philosophies such as Confucianism and Taoism, and how they channeled the way that Chinese scientific thinking developed into a holistic approach in comparison to the reductionist Western method. The third part looks at the details of Chinese scientific theory including Chi energy, the five Elements, the trigrams and hexagrams of the I Ching. For the Feng Shui enthusiast, this book is a treasure trove of facts, explanations and esoteric detail, and includes sections on what Needham terms the "pseudo-sciences" of I Ching divination, Astrology and Geomancy (Feng Shui). A fascinating book which should bring an understanding of the amazing sophistication of Chinese scientific ideas and inventions to a wider audience."

Hope that helps.

Edited by GrandmasterP

the link gmp gave is not good ,it is to the shorter version of science and civilisation in china

that does not include taoist internal alchemy. there is no short cut.

• Like 1

It's a gloss edited down for the popular market and I'd agree that if anyone wants more then the big volume may be more interesting.

You do realise that both the main work and the gloss I linked to are critical of alchemy and such?

Both refer throughout to Feng Shui and alchemy as 'pseudo-science'.

Anyone who wants a 'how to' or 'now do' guide might be better looking elsewhere.

Dr J's books for example.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1