johndoe2012

Mirrors and the concept of self

I recently watched a documentary regarding this concept of "self". All sides of the arguement were presented. And yes, mirrors are an important part of this concept.

Personally, I am on the side of the arguement that suggests that "self" is realized between the ages of 3 and 5 years of age.

"Give me a child until he is seven and I will show you the man," was supposedly said by the founder of the Jesuits, St Ignatius Loyola.

• Like 1

How about 'a child is the father of the man' - Omar khayam (sp?)

The article reminds me of when my puppy first saw himself in a mirror. First he growled, barked, thought it was another dog. then his reaction turned into one of intrigue, and he spent quite a while just sitting there, putting his nose up to the mirror, staring at himself.

It's interesting, tying up the mirror thing to self identity. A couple years ago, for some unknown reason, I was 'compelled' to cover up my mirrors. I put newspaper up over every mirror in the house (other than the one in Joe's bathroom!) I felt a need to NOT see myself in the mirror.\

It was as though I realized that every time I walked into a room with a mirror, I would glance into it to see my reflection. Why would that be? To assure myself that I'm still there? I decided to see what would happen if I didn't see my reflection. it gets a little harder out shopping though - reflections everywhere. But I did give it a good try.

I can't honestly say that it changed me in any way that I'm aware of - but I sure felt the need to do it. I suspect that it integrated me in some way I can't put my finger on.

Edited by manitou
  • Like 3