Sign in to follow this  
dee

Qigong Ignorance.

One topic I've never delved into, or done much research is Qigong. I've remained actually quite ignorant of it as It seemed to be some people flailing their arms in the wind. This is the stigma that is attached to qigong, and how I saw it when a friend of mine talked about it.

I don't wish to remain ignorant and my wonderful partner bought me a book about qigong and healing. (I'll update the title of the book shortly).

So I ask, can you tell me your personal experiences with practicing qigong?

• -How long have you been practicing?
  • Is it a daily practice? (Does it have to be?)
  • How much time do you dedicate per day?
  • Your personal benefits (any and all)
  • And what you've gained from it
  • What has it healed, or helped you overcome

Any other input is greatly appreciated.

One topic I've never delved into, or done much research is Qigong. I've remained actually quite ignorant of it as It seemed to be some people flailing their arms in the wind. This is the stigma that is attached to qigong, and how I saw it when a friend of mine talked about it.

I don't wish to remain ignorant and my wonderful partner bought me a book about qigong and healing. (I'll update the title of the book shortly).

Many Years

Daily for me but some do less

In total about 20-minutes over two sessions.

Keeps me supple.

Enjoyment

Hard to say as I don't cultivate 'for' healing but I am pretty healthy so maybe it promotes good health and speeds up recovery.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

-How long have you been practicing?

Almost five years now.

Is it a daily practice? (Does it have to be?)

Yes on both accounts but not everyone is disciplined enough.

How much time do you dedicate per day?

Including martial form practice perhaps an hour.

There are tons of benefits, just look at this thread.

http://thetaobums.com/topic/20672-living-proof-that-qigong-works/

I practice the cultivation of the chi energy, the chi force. Not exactly chi kung...that is, I don't necessary follow an elaborated format to cultivate my chi....because I never need to follow any format to have completed the microcosmic orbit. The microcosmic orbit is the most fundamental aspect of the Taoist internal alchemy. Your chi must be able to complete all its energy paths along your body. I experienced it when I was 18, some 15 years ago, with only to have dream about 2 Taoist immortals...hehehehe... Mystical.....;)

Since my body is generally healthy, I don't go through a great length to strength my body for the sake of the chi energy. However, I cultivate my chi through meditation....to cultivate the mind to see and to become the Tao. Then, the chi energy would come and go naturally in my body.

How long I have been practicing it?

If you include my past lives, it could have been a long, long time ago. But, I experienced the kundalini energy and the microcosmic orbit when I was 18, 15 years ago.

Is it a daily practice?

I do 2 meditations a day, about 1 hour per session. One in the morning, after waking up and the other before bed. And I meditate in my sleep too.

Personal benefits?

This is tough. It is only personal because I experience the chi personally. However, the effect is beyond personal because I seem to have developed the ability for precognitions for world events and maybe events in my own life, in my dreams. And of course, I don't look my age, maybe looking 10 to 15 years younger. And I believe my chi can neutralize toxins like being stung by a giant wasp. Yeah, it happened to me and let's just say that I have mosquito bites looking worst than being stung by a giant wasp. And another incidence in which my life was in danger (about to be run over by a SUV while I was biking, with less than 4 seconds reaction time). Somehow, I did some Matrix move and I didn't even touch the SUV at all.

• Like 3

• -How long have you been practicing? 10 not counting martial arts
  • Is it a daily practice? (Does it have to be?) do you want to make some achievement or not? :P
  • How much time do you dedicate per day? more the merrier but also do mind the quality
  • Your personal benefits (any and all) very significant metabolic spikes on a certain depth of meditative practice-immersion will probably be the uncommon one out of the responses ;)
  • And what you've gained from it oplenty, but not writing that paragraph here..

Any other input is greatly appreciated.

Dont discount how effective flailing your arms can be :lol: All the old chinese people in nyc that do it every day cant all be crazy, right? Well, consider that the density of blood vessels increases the more distal you get on a given limb...

and consider fluid dynamics and the harmonization of movement in that also ;)

• Like 3

on a less serious note:

since Autumn, 1996

At the moment, yes, and should be, even if only a couple minutes.

oh... not so easy. Right now, a good hour of actual "practice" (I teach, so I tend to practice whatever form I'm teaching at the moment, and since I have four groups learning four different things, I do a bit of everything), but exercises and techniques have creeped into my daily routine as well, so shifting gears in my car is a qigong exercise for me.
    Huge question, and not so easy to answer because we're all an experiment of one, meaning, there's no control group. I can't say what I'd be like without qigong. I can say that I'm a inch taller than I was when I started, my eyes are a bright bright blue, my hairline isn't as high as it was, my temper is even (a huge improvement over the old me), my desires are non-material, my digestion is strong, my blood pressure is up (used to be very low), I've got healthy joints, never get sick, good posture, and I don't know what else to write. But, as indicated, who knows what I'd be like without the qigong. I inherited good genes from my mother's side, and my father's side is full of centenarians. I don't have a lot of friends anymore, because I just don't have anything in common with those guys, but I also feel quite content with things the way they are ...

Oh yeah, I mentioned eyes in another thread - my eyesight improved drastically, and I know that that was a side-effect of my qigong.

that's redundant. See above

I guess I answered all that above

You have to understand that there's a big difference between standing there flapping your arms like a dork and performing qigong. The qigong occurs on the inside. Every cell in the body joins the dance and rejuvenates itself with with every breath and there's not a joint or sinew in the body that isn't participating in every move. Mimicking the outer movements of a qigong form (or Taiji or whatever) is pointless. You'd be better off with Pilates, or Zumba, or something more fun.

Also, there's actually no such thing as qigong, not in the narrow sense. It's an umbrella term for a vast number of approaches to health and longevity (same statement could be made of yoga, btw).

hth

Edited by soaring crane
  • Like 3

Years.....

Yes, it has to be.

After I can sink my breath(chi) to the lower dan tian, I do it constantly with the UMB(Ultimate Method of Breathing).

All. It keeps me in a state of homeostasis with lots of body energy(ATP).

I have gained a healthier body with a tremendous strength(勁, Jin)

It healed small cuts faster and overcome my poor breathing problem. My breathing has improved my singing ability. My muscles become more firm(muscle toned) and resilient. The muscle pain disappear right away after an undesirable posture. Most of all, it increase the libido makes one feel more masculine.

Edited by ChiDragon

Thank you all for responses. I read through them. Sorry I cannot reply to all at once - I have a great 500 page+ book on Qigong, which after reading I will try and apply slowly.

I'm seeing a friend this weekend who will show me a few steps I can do throughout my day, and will report when I have more knowledge on the subject.

Thanks all,

D.

• Like 1

Hi again Dee.

Forgot to mention in my earlier post.

There's a link to some free QiGong resources in my sig,

All good wishes to you for every success with your cultivation.

:)

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this