UTI

What herbs do you take?

Hey!

I'm curious what different "herbs" (including foods, teas, etc.) everyone takes to stay healthy and balanced? Do you adjust it with the seasons, or have a favourite you keep to all year?

My regimen is:

In winter I drink an itty bitty bit of ginseng every other day, as well as eat Ejiao every day in the morning. To replenish yang and nourish blood.

In Spring I kick the ginseng and up the Ejiao a bit. I also eat a lot of soup focused on strengthening the kidneys and liver, usually a mushroom soup with some danggui/shanyao/huangqi in it. I drink liquorice tea to help qi move smoothly.

In summer I eat a mush of black sesame seed, walnut, nettle and honey. To nourish Essence and strengthen the kidneys and spleen.

In autumn I don't really eat any herbs, I just meditate extra much, enjoying the feeling of my qi settling and moving inwards. And drink lots of green teas (mainly because I like the autumn-harvest oolongs).

I'm glad if you want/can share your herbal experiences!

Peace

• Like 1

My work with food means i use lots and eat lots all year round.

Mostly coriander, chives, scallions, mint, lemon balm, various types of parsley, lemongrass, curry leaves, screwpine, basil, and a whole host of dried roots and spices too.

Herbs are so nutritious and flavourful.

My work with food means i use lots and eat lots all year round.

Mostly coriander, chives, scallions, mint, lemon balm, various types of parsley, lemongrass, curry leaves, screwpine, basil, and a whole host of dried roots and spices too.

Herbs are so nutritious and flavourful.

Nice! Do you have any special thought behind why you eat certain herbs? Any special situations you eat this and that, or any particular time you'd only eat a certain herb?

• Like 1

I used to take some herbal supplements but then I realized you can never really be sure what's inside. You don't want toxic substances or pesticides accumulating in your body from taking unknown herbs. I think a good diet is better than any herbs or supplements. For micronutrients I do this every day:

2 cups of blueberries

leafy green and purple veggies

several pieces of dark chocolate

multivitamin

fish oil 3600 mg

For macros I keep it whole and unprocessed, like chicken breast, greek yogurt, organic milk (protein), oatmeal (carbs), and nuts (fats).

Nice! Do you have any special thought behind why you eat certain herbs? Any special situations you eat this and that, or any particular time you'd only eat a certain herb?

Not particularly. Mostly instinctual i guess.

All organic herbs are great, eaten in moderation. Lots of claims on the internet to the efficacious power of herbs, alas, what do we believe? Best advice is to listen to our own bodies, like what you're doing. Avoiding excess is key.

In the culinary world, herbs are meant to dance lightly on the tastebuds, to subtly enhance flavours, so whatever is used should not overpower the natural aromas and taste of any dish. For example, too much wasabi on a sushi roll will completely ruin the taste, not to mention burning the tongue and making the eyes water; add a smidgen, and that piece of sushi will taste divine... ;)