BaguaKicksAss

Seeking positive, alternative, off grid community

Seeking a community of like minded people out in the middle of fucking nowhere, who also hate the cancer which is our current society, and wish to thrive apart from it, within our own healthy way of life, living in cohesion with the earth and the elements. No religious freaks, gun toting fanatics or newage airheads please. West coast proffered. If you know of such an opportunity contact NAJA at TTB's!

I know they are out there, I've always heard about such groups over the years... I just don't currently know of any. Resources? :)

Edit to add: must not mind disgruntled angsty, yet pretty awesome once you get to know her, youth in her 20's.

• Like 3

erhm eh ah... heh... maybe edit your post to fill in my full screen name.... just to avoid potential confusion? lol or, really... shouldnt i have done this? :P

Folks will read the entire thread, so perhaps a better personal description of what you are after, as I was just mostly guessing... the off grid I think you would really enjoy though!

• Like 1

off the grid, working with solar power is okay, self sufficient with matters of food and clean water are a must, willingness to work with someone who is CLUELESS as to how to work with the situation, but more than eager to get involved.

definitely, preferably, Pacific Northwest... the further north the better... lol but as long as its self sufficient and off the grid, the Mojave Desert is *almost* acceptable.... but... i learned that i cant live without my evergreens and pine trees... so..... that would be hard to accept for me given any duration of time - harder over time.

If there's any way to work with hemp, i've been dying to learn how to make my own Hemp Gi for a long, long time now...

I cannot imagine what there is involved so i dont truly know what else to say.

• Like 2

would it not be disadvantageous to seek out such a place due to an aversion to the 'cancer that is society'?

Having visited some alternative communities over the years, i cannot be sure that all members of such communities are fully content having moved away from what they thought were a sickness of present-day society. Many of the folks in these places look rather dejected and not particularly at ease with themselves, and those with kids, well, the kids didn't look too healthy either. Some people tend to carry their aversions with them wherever they go, and as a result, changing their external environment, ie expecting that change to bring about an inner transformation often result in a sort of target mis-hit. Of course some eventually find the necessary resolve to overcome their basic problem, but time often exact a cruel toll on them.

Bearing the above in mind, im just wondering if it might not be more worthwhile cultivating a sort of half love, half tolerance for your present environment first, then gradually translate/nurture this attitude to your new surrounds when you eventually find one... once you have a good foundational attitude and surer footing, it will enable you to adapt and bloom there in a more assured fashion, i think.

Just some thoughts, take it fwiw.

• Like 4

Hi ... I have been in one of those for over 20 years ... well, something similar.

Ah... the young fresh faced dreamers who are willing to be shown and educated ... well ...

WHERE THE FUCK ARE THEY ! Ooooo I could write PAGES about this!

Yes! What CT wrote.

But it was refreshing to read post # 4 ...

most of us came here 30 - 20 years ago to 'drop out' , now the younger come here because its beautiful and cheap and 6 months later start complaining and doing stupid things that wreck the place because they dont have a skateboard ramp for their kids, a good road that doesn't allow the new four wheel drive that mummy just bought them to stay clean and no direct access to all the 'cool' stuff in the city.

We are virtually dying for young people to turn up , to take over from the old guard (as we did when we came here young) and inherit a 2 mill $ property of 200 acres of pristine land with sub-tropical rainforest and a river and beautiful views of uncluttered nature, waterfalls, etc, so far, only 1 family that came anywhere near being able to do that in the last 3 years.

There is even a new legal group in town that just put in an experimental hemp crop nearly in the centre of town.

Empty houses and shelters ... turning into a ghost town ...

Dreams / idealism : reality / practicality .....

• Like 4

Good luck finding it!

My suggestion is to live the life of integrity that you choose whilst among the current society....

The only way it will change is when we live among them, not hidden away.

Enlighten yourseves among them and the whole world must ascend with you or be accommodated elsewhere.

• Like 3

Yep! Sorry.

Complete 12-volume set of The Foxfire Books.

No home library (or lone-wolf's backpack) should be without one...

Edited by Brian

Remember where ever you go there you are.

In my experience with ashrams the day to day situations/problems were no different than anywhere else.

In fact they may have been more intense.

• Like 7

Remember where ever you go there you are.

In my experience with ashrams the day to day situations/problems were no different than anywhere else.

In fact they may have been more intense.

Yes! Such environments have been known to amplify one's inner world in profound ways, especially at the initial entry phase. We see our goodness with much more clarity, at the same time, our neurotic tendencies will smack us in the face too. And there is no place to hide, no carpets to sweep things under. Everything is stark! This is ok if we take the responsibility and own whatever comes up. If we can do this, we grow. Problem is, any form of rejection of one place in favour of another is usually an indication that there will be a struggle later on, in the new environment, when it comes to being honest with our reasons for desiring a change of scenery. This makes adaptation more challenging.

• Like 3

The rage against society is very interesting.

It can be a primal unconcious repression that needs to be released one day.

For me it is felt in the gut and basically talking to it gives you conscious information on what the issue or issues are about.

Hmmm. I feel there can be definite benefits to living in a more rural and forested area, over a city, for some people. Been there, it was awesome :). Though it does lack some of the conveniences I like, so trying out the city for a decade now... The atmosphere can really change one's outlook and perspective on things, as long as you get into an environment you are mesh well with (some of these rural towns have some pretty exclusive and bitter people unfortunately). Also, being surrounded by those of like mind can make all of the difference in the world. Fortunately I find them wherever I go. Others tend to have more difficulty with this. The best bet is to find some folks you mesh well with, can hang out with a lot without wanting to strangle one another *then* head off into your ideal situation. Though if already without a stable place you like, more risks can be taken. You are young too, so can try out various things and see how they work for you :).

I think if I had not followed my not so wise dreams when I was young, I might actually have some regrets now, instead of just some oops times... On the otherhand, don't get discouraged if ideal situations don't end up so ideal, because they usually aren't, and it still means trying to get along with people, which can often be challenging.

• Like 3

Yes nothing wrong with going away from society to get some fresh air and being with new people.

I travelled for 6 months in South America when I was younger and it was freaking great!

There are also some people who are very sensitive and feel things more strongly so who knows better?

• Like 1

That was one thing I loved about being in Juneau - not that "the pace of life" here is *that* crazy or anything, its suburbs here...but up there, man....nobody was in a rush. People drove the speed limit on the roads, even. Which is merely a silly suggestion around here. I liked the notion of 40 miles of road to 120 miles of hiking. And those doofuses just left, too.

AMhwy-sunset_zps318a588b.jpg

• Like 1

Around here, we call it "mountain time" -- city folk find it frustrating...

;)

Of course, when I lived on the beach, we called it "beach time" and the city folk still found it frustrating!

Edited by Brian
  • Like 4

Sounds like fast paced versions of island time ;). Island time was more like "maybe" lolol. You were a good employee if you showed up most of the days per week at your job.... If you were invited over to a friend's house, if you made it that same night... Did I mention the island population was half hippies?

people, please. its not society that is cancerous. this society in the USA, yes, but by and large, it is civility itself, regardless of which society.

An uncivilized (tribal hunter/gatherer) society is not cancerous.

i think im just splitting hairs to a degree, but the specification is necessary:

I am seeking a society which is anti-cancerous in regards to the planet and its inhabitants. im looking for a "white blood cell society" as opposed to the toxic, virus, and cancer societies that civility has to offer.

• Like 1

Hi ... I have been in one of those for over 20 years ... well, something similar.

Ah... the young fresh faced dreamers who are willing to be shown and educated ... well ...

WHERE THE FUCK ARE THEY ! Ooooo I could write PAGES about this!

Yes! What CT wrote.

But it was refreshing to read post # 4 ...

most of us came here 30 - 20 years ago to 'drop out' , now the younger come here because its beautiful and cheap and 6 months later start complaining and doing stupid things that wreck the place because they dont have a skateboard ramp for their kids, a good road that doesn't allow the new four wheel drive that mummy just bought them to stay clean and no direct access to all the 'cool' stuff in the city.

We are virtually dying for young people to turn up , to take over from the old guard (as we did when we came here young) and inherit a 2 mill $ property of 200 acres of pristine land with sub-tropical rainforest and a river and beautiful views of uncluttered nature, waterfalls, etc, so far, only 1 family that came anywhere near being able to do that in the last 3 years.

There is even a new legal group in town that just put in an experimental hemp crop nearly in the centre of town.

Empty houses and shelters ... turning into a ghost town ...

Dreams / idealism : reality / practicality .....

Dreams are more valuable than reality. i wouldnt bat an eye if relaty disappeared in an instant the way dreams do.

Ghost towns are much friendlier than downtowns.

Hemp is the salvation of humanity and the cure of cancer (both biological and civil).

While i am not too certain "sub-tropical" sounds terribly cool for my climate preferences, everything you say is striking... WHERE are you, though, i have to ask?

Sounds like fast paced versions of island time ;). Island time was more like "maybe" lolol. You were a good employee if you showed up most of the days per week at your job.... If you were invited over to a friend's house, if you made it that same night... Did I mention the island population was half hippies?

Speaking of 'island time'... Spent a month on a deserted island off the east coast of Malaysia in my early 20s. Got a fishing boat to drop me off, and asked to be picked up again in a month's time. The skipper thought i was bonkers. :blink:

It was a brilliant excursion for the body & soul, truly was. The first few days were a bit of a challenge, but once that hurdle had been crossed, it was a blast! Everything was abundantly available for body & soul -- i had to take many steps back from the usual habit of taking things for granted, in which time there was no choice but to heighten sense of awareness in terms of building a shelter, being mindful not to infringe on the space occupied by local spirits, sourcing safe, drinkable water, looking for wild herbs, fruit & veges, catching my own dinner, most of which were all new experiences for at that time. Such an exhilarating few weeks i had.

At the end of it, found it difficult to leave my temp shelter-home, my friends the monkeys, birds, snakes, turtles, cicadas, and lizards of all shapes and sizes. Not to mention mosquitoes, sand flies and cockroaches. Even the ants became acquaintances as we exchanged stories of island life while they got all excited from the unusual amounts of grub suddenly available to the whole army. :)

That retreat made me realize many things. It also convinced me that if i could live there happily, there aren't many places around which will make me cringe with angst. Most of all, it sharpened my appreciation for all of life, and the joyous gifts readily available to us if only we dare to step a little out of our comfort zone to challenge and explore the wonders of the big blue marble we call earth.

I think all young adults should consider a journey like this at least once in their youth. Its a sort of vision quest to help discover more about oneself. Leaving such an experience behind, it wont be as challenging when one chooses to transition in favour of community-style living.

Edited by C T
  • Like 4

Speaking of 'island time'... Spent a month on a deserted island off the east coast of Malaysia in my early 20s. Got a fishing boat to drop me off, and asked to be picked up again in a month's time. The skipper thought i was bonkers. :blink:

It was a brilliant excursion for the body & soul, truly was. The first few days were a bit of a challenge, but once that hurdle had been crossed, it was a blast! Everything was abundantly available for body & soul -- i had to take many steps back from the usual habit of taking things for granted, in which time there was no choice but to heighten sense of awareness in terms of building a shelter, being mindful not to infringe on the space occupied by local spirits, sourcing safe, drinkable water, looking for wild herbs, fruit & veges, catching my own dinner, most of which were all new experiences for at that time. Such an exhilarating few weeks i had.

At the end of it, found it difficult to leave my temp shelter-home, my friends the monkeys, birds, snakes, turtles, cicadas, and lizards of all shapes and sizes. Not to mention mosquitoes, sand flies and cockroaches. Even the ants became acquaintances as we exchanged stories of island life while they got all excited from the unusual amounts of grub suddenly available to the whole army. :)

That retreat made me realize many things. It also convinced me that if i could live there happily, there aren't many places around which will make me cringe with angst. Most of all, it sharpened my appreciation for all of life, and the joyous gifts readily available to us if only we dare to step a little out of our comfort zone to challenge and explore the wonders of the big blue marble we call earth.

I think all young adults should consider a journey like this at least once in their youth. Its a sort of vision quest to help discover more about oneself. Leaving such an experience behind, it wont be as challenging when one chooses to transition in favour of community-style living.

That is awesome :). Sounds like a wonderful month. I have many fond memories of my tent and I, but nothing like your adventure.

I have run into many folks who will take bicycle trecks up and down the west coast for months on end; you can just tell they are having an amazing time. How many people just take a few months or a year off of regular life? Unfortunately not enough.

PS, VTDT if you try an adventure like C T, please do it in spring, summer or fall; starting in winter in that area doesn't work out so well. There really aren't many edible things around during winter. Also finding a mentor in the ways of wildcrafting and harvesting would be a really good idea; perhaps trapping too. I remember you had previously talked about heading off into the forest..

• Like 1

yeah.... winter survival is something i really need to learn, if i cant get involved in an off-grid community... -_- i have my hopes, but my outlook is not so great... :\ i dunno. people tend to make it sound like no big deal:

" "just" find some people and join their community" is about as simple as "just" establish a colony on Pluto... :\ no matter how great my access to the tools that simplify my task, they are of no use to me if i dont know how to use them.