Vitalii

If you practice sitting meditation, which position do you use?

If you practice sitting meditation, which position do you use?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. If you practice sitting meditation, which position do you use?

• on the chair
    • simple cross-legged position
    • half lotus position
    • full lotus position
    • lying down

depends what I'm doing and when, you didnt include an all of the above option :D I injured my mcl a couple months ago so I'm out for full lotus for the time being.

Chair ... :ph34r:

... because K1 are connected to the ground ... ;)

Edited by Jox

For about 30 years, I couldn't sit cross-legged so it HAD to be "on the chair" -- until someone on the forum fixed my left hip.

Now it is "simple cross-legged position."

:)

• Like 4

Well I voted for cross-legged, but I tend to alternate this with half-lotus to try and increase sitting time in that position.

Half lotus on cushion.

Occasional seiza (on knees) when I want to relive tough Aikido days.

added

If I'm not on a cushion thats at least 4 or 5 inches I'll sit in a looser more cross legged style.

If it's for longer than twenty minutes full lotus, as good as I can, preferably with cushion, otherwise full or half lotus.

Though I have to say that sometimes I'm doing accidental meditation in whatever posture I'm in at that moment, might that be between two steps on the street or sitting in a chair.

I sit in the Burmese posture for most meditation.

I lie down for certain specific methods.

I use half lotus or full lotus position, it depends from situation and sometime from methods.

I sit like I was taught as a kid in Aikido class. I can sit full lotus and half lotus but find that sitting seiza works best for me and feels great on the knees and thighs. I cannot recall where I read it - the article mentioned that historically lotus and full lotus were introduced from the Buddhist tradition's influence and that the seiza position as practiced in Japan was more likely to be used by old Daoist. Sitting seiza and breathing through the heels is much more difficult and rewarding to me than lotus or full lotus.

• Like 2

Kneeling on a little wooden 'milking stool' that I had made for me. It's my chair at home for most things.

Half-lotus in the sauna.

But I don't really sit to meditate. I stand :-)

You didn't include the walking in (Bagua) circles option ;).

You walk in circles during sitting meditation? Damn, someone must be very adept at shikko.

• Like 1

I´d be interested in what people´s take on the benefits/drawbacks of the different positions. SonoftheGods, you said that seiza and full lotus active differently. Can you elaborate?

For Kunlun, I sit in a chair and sometimes stand. Sifu Jenny Lamb told me sitting in a chair was best in order to allow flow through the meridians of the legs.

I´m a big fan of the lying down position for practicing breathing, inner smile, etc. Not sure it´s the best by any means as it´s most difficult, in my experience, to maintain focus.

Years ago, full lotus came very easily to me. Now not so much. Still, I´m tempted to practice and see if I can get it back. Despite numerous threads about full lotus here, I´m still not clear exactly what the benefits are. If anyone wants to chime in on the advantages of full lotus I´m all ears.

Liminal

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 3

Chair for Mindfulness and a big zafu cushion an a super comfy zabuton mat for zazen which I kneel-supported on legs either side of the cushion which keeps all my weight off my legs so I can sit comfortably for as long as I choose.

I've never been able to do any cross legged sitting due to a wonky left leg that doesn't bend how legs are supposed to.

I used to use a meditation stool like a little bench that your legs go underneath before the big zafus came out.

Edited by GrandmasterP

I sit like I was taught as a kid in Aikido class. I can sit full lotus and half lotus but find that sitting seiza works best for me and feels great on the knees and thighs. I cannot recall where I read it - the article mentioned that historically lotus and full lotus were introduced from the Buddhist tradition's influence and that the seiza position as practiced in Japan was more likely to be used by old Daoist. Sitting seiza and breathing through the heels is much more difficult and rewarding to me than lotus or full lotus.

This is really interesting: please find the article :P

I can practice full lotus very very comfortably for hours in a row, but I think it is a bad posture because it straightens the spine with the muscles of the back, neglecting the abs. Thus creating imbalances.

The big-belly syndrome common for meditators (especially dan-tien people).

So, I'm working for seiza which is better for the spine... but really hard at the present moment: I can sit for no more than 30 minutes with unbearable pain.

I wonder if it is really possible to seat that way for at least a couple of hours.

To read that article would be very inspiring. :D

This is really interesting: please find the article :P

I can practice full lotus very very comfortably for hours in a row, but I think it is a bad posture because it straightens the spine with the muscles of the back, neglecting the abs. Thus creating imbalances.

The big-belly syndrome common for meditators (especially dan-tien people).

So, I'm working for seiza which is better for the spine... but really hard at the present moment: I can sit for no more than 30 minutes with unbearable pain.

I wonder if it is really possible to seat that way for at least a couple of hours.

To read that article would be very inspiring. :D

This one's by a physiotherapist...

http://blog.aikidojournal.com/2013/10/01/advantages-of-seiza-and-shikko-in-the-eyes-of-a-physiotherapist-by-bartlomiej-gajowiec/

Use an oversize zafu like this and you can sit for hours...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zafu-Meditation-Cushion-LARGE-Buckwheat/dp/B00IKGAOPC/ref=pd_sim_sg_11?ie=UTF8&refRID=15N56JDWBGS97198EPAG

Hope that helps.

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

I´d be interested in what people´s take on the benefits/drawbacks of the different positions. SonoftheGods, you said that seiza and full lotus active differently. Can you elaborate?

For Kunlun, I sit in a chair and sometimes stand. Sifu Jenny Lamb told me sitting in a chair was best in order to allow flow through the meridians of the legs.

I´m a big fan of the lying down position for practicing breathing, inner smile, etc. Not sure it´s the best by any means as it´s most difficult, in my experience, to maintain focus.

Years ago, full lotus came very easily to me. Now not so much. Still, I´m tempted to practice and see if I can get it back. Despite numerous threads about full lotus here, I´m still not clear exactly what the benefits are. If anyone wants to chime in on the advantages of full lotus I´m all ears.

Liminal

All depends on what you are practice. if you do breathing methods or qigong meditation, you can use any positions with straight spine. if you practice internal alchemy, then the best position would be full lotus, then half lotus and then simple cross-legged position. When you sit in the full lotus, your Qi can collect in your lower Dantian and activate your original Qi faster. Also your feet are turned to the heaven, that allows you to change some Qi circulation in your body and it will run your alchemical processes.

Edited by Vitalii
  • Like 3

You can sit on the small pillow and all will be Ok ))

• Like 1

Chair ... :ph34r:

... because K1 are connected to the ground ... ;)

I want to add one thing :)
For inner alchemy, it will be better if K1s connect not with Earth, but feet are turned to Heaven and K1s connect with it. Then Qi of Earth will move directly into your Central channel through Huiyin point. All of this creates better conditions for alchemical work.
  • Like 1

Half lotus and Burmese for me. Sometimes standing and laying. One day I'll get too full lotus comfortably. :)

My 2 cents, Peace

Edited by OldChi
  • Like 1