mewtwo

being a peaceful warrior?

If one is employed as a security guard for a store, basically all they do is observe and report. your not even allowed to touch anyone, all you can do is ask them to leave and such. If the situation arises where the security guard is in danger he is told to get away and call the police. But for a dollar more per hour pay he can become licensed to carry a gun or baton. He is still told to get away if at all possible and only use the weapons if there is no alternative. hypothetically speaking this store is in a safe neighborhood the people leave there cars unlocked when shopping and such.

Would you carry a weapon? Would carrying a weapon be keeping the peaceful warrior mentality? how would you keep the peaceful warrior mentality when a fellow security guard might be talking about the new gun he bought and his knife collection?

"Kung fu is not meant to create war but make peace" jackie chan as Mr han in karate kid 2010

• Like 1

I carried a weapon for twenty years in the Army but always considered myself a peaceful warrior.

The weapon the security guard would be carrying would be for the protection of others as well as one's self.

I carried a weapon for twenty years in the Army but always considered myself a peaceful warrior.

The weapon the security guard would be carrying would be for the protection of others as well as one's self.

Yeah, i dont get the connection between work-entailed carrying of firearms and the OP's point about that making a security personnel more aggressive. Some armoured vehicle guards have to carry a side-arm and a shotgun, does that mean it could make them doubly aggressive? Alternatively, those who do not carry firearms are less prone to aggression? The premise is a bit shaky for any solid conclusion to be made, imo.

• Like 1

I've never wanted to start fights.

But I studied Martial techniques long and diligently so that I'd be able to finish them.

Must be able to protect the self and the innocents.

• Like 3

In my country, if a robber walks into a store with a gun in his hand and, by chance, he gets hurt seriously stumbling in a box inside the store ... then he can sue the store owner for damages.

Even if a thief enters your house at night and he gets hurt, he can denounce you.

There were cases in which the store owners shot the robbers: they were persecuted by the law of my country.

In my country, if a robber walks into a store with a gun in his hand and, by chance, he gets hurt seriously stumbling in a box inside the store ... then he can sue the store owner for damages.

Even if a thief enters your house at night and he gets hurt, he can denounce you.

There were cases in which the store owners shot the robbers: they were persecuted by the law of my country.

But then, if the robber is dead then it is only your word as to what happened and why the robber is dead.

I have seen that crap happen here in the US and I think it stinks. Lawyers out to make big bucks.

I have never understood this ridiculous 'law'. The legislation in Ireland were similar, up until last year i think. New laws in place now that grant homeowners rights to defend lives and private properties. There was an incident not too long ago when a burglar broke his leg falling down the stairs in the house where he was doing a 'job'... he sued, and won. Thankfully such nonsense will not be happening again.

Edited by C T
  • Like 2

Being strong enough to not want to fight but be willing to do so if necessary may look outwardly the same as being too weak to ever fight, but one is grounded in wisdom and the other in fear.

• Like 2

I see no reason that the carrying of a weapon by a Peaceful Warrior would diminish the "Peaceful Warrior mentality" in the slightest. If anything, it should enhance it. One reason being that if you show a weapon, whoever you're showing it to is less likely to escalate things to the point of violent action. If carried with the correct intention and if one is sure of their skill, a weapon can/should provide a feeling of extra security and therefore peace.

• Like 1

But then, if the robber is dead then it is only your word as to what happened and why the robber is dead.

I have seen that crap happen here in the US and I think it stinks. Lawyers out to make big bucks.

If he's dead, it's even worst since they'll investigate if it was an excess of self-defence: in short, if he has a knife, you can't shot him because it's excessive.

You should fight on equal terms and then be able to demonstrate the facts :D

If someone's going to be a security guard they'll have to have a thick skin, be good at reading situtations and people and always expect the unexpected. Read stuff by peope who have been there and done that and have lived to tell the tale (Peyton Quinn, Rory Miller, Marc 'Animal' McYoung, Geoff Thompson etc.).

Also they'll have to be prepared for a variety of situations. There's that maxim that goes something like - people don't rise to the occasion but sink to the level of their training.

Edit: tpyos

Edited by rex

If someone's going to be a security guard they'll have to have a thick skin, be good at reading situtations and people and always expect the unexpected. Read stuff by peope who have been there and done that and have lived to tell the tale (Peyton Quinn, Rory Miller, Marc 'Animal' McYoung, Geoff Thompson etc.).

Also they'll have to be prepared for a variety of situations. There's that maxim that goes something like - people don't rise to the ocassion but sink to the level of their training.

Are you a security guard?

Are you a security guard?

I did some part time security work when I was a student years ago at the student bar.

I carried for 15 years as well, never had to use it. Pulled it out a few times is all.

I don't know about the security guard situation we're talking about here, but my experiences with security guards in California (while i was a member of LAPD) is that most of these folks, with few exceptions, aren't qualified to get into a big chingazo involving a gun. There's more involved than just knowing how to pull the trigger. One who has been trained in military or police work knows that there's an entire attitude that needs to accompany the carrying of a firearm, if one is in a position of authority.

One must be able to assess a situation immediately. One must have gone through training involving hostages, different situations involving other innocent civilians being in the immediate area - over and over - one must really know the law and know when firing the weapon is appropriate.

The security guards, as the OP said, are more often than not merely there to observe and report.

If one is in the position of being armed, though, and in a position of authority, then firing the weapon is always the last resort, when all else has been expended (theoretically!) This would seem to me to not be against the Dao - the shooting is done with reluctance, in a sense. Reluctance because the last thing in the world he wants to do is take another's life, no matter how heinous the crime. But to protect himself and other innocent bystanders, certainly it would be justified and understood.

Where I live in Ohio, every other backwoods person around is carrying a firearm. It just makes one feel great knowing that your very life is contingent on the mental health of the toothless fellow dressed in camo standing behind you in line....

Edited by manitou
  • Like 3

I'm always completely mind-numbed at how any judge or jury could ever award anything in cases like these...

• Like 1

In the U.S such stories sometimes make headlines, but generally there are either unusual extraneous details or they end getting dismissed in court by judges or juries.

• Like 1

Ofcourse, a quality regular warrior should be a peaceful warrior. With true strength comes an abiding peace and availability of options. Not to say nonviolent, rather more insight, options and a desire for peaceful resolution.

• Like 3

I carried for 15 years as well, never had to use it. Pulled it out a few times is all.

I don't know about the security guard situation we're talking about here, but my experiences with security guards in California (while i was a member of LAPD) is that most of these folks, with few exceptions, are qualified to get into a big chingazo involving a gun. There's more involved than just knowing how to pull the trigger. One who has been trained in military or police work knows that there's an entire attitude that needs to accompany the carrying of a firearm, if one is in a position of authority.

One must be able to assess a situation immediately. One must have gone through training involving hostages, different situations involving other innocent civilians being in the immediate area - over and over - one must really know the law and know when firing the weapon is appropriate.

The security guards, as the OP said, are more often than not merely there to observe and report.

If one is in the position of being armed, though, and in a position of authority, then firing the weapon is always the last resort, when all else has been expended (theoretically!) This would seem to me to not be against the Dao - the shooting is done with reluctance, in a sense. Reluctance because the last thing in the world he wants to do is take another's life, no matter how heinous the crime. But to protect himself and other innocent bystanders, certainly it would be justified and understood.

I can relate to all you have shared, Manitou. I too was 'on the job' for a year and a bit back in 81 (in my country). It was my childhood ambition, but quickly discovered that there was a particular 'shade' of that work which did not appeal to me at all, so i quit. At that time, i had access to 2 firearms, one standard issue, and because i was a probationary inspector, also member of a gun club, was given the privy to own an additional one.

During the course of service, i had to use the gun once -- arrived at work one morning, got out of the car, heard some commotion coming from inside the station, and next thing saw a shirtless fellow dashing like mad out the main door of the station, heading towards me. I knew straightaway he was in remand (being shirtless) and had somehow broken out of custody. The thought came to my mind that he might have snatched some officer's gun during the scuffle, so i ambled to get cover round the other side of my car, drew the pistol, and shouted the usual warnings, that he stop immediately, i was armed, blah blah... but no, he started to run even faster!! At that point, i fired 2 shots. One got him in the abdomen. Kept running a few yards, stopped, and collapsed. Ambulance came & took him away. He was fine after surgery. It wasn't pleasant at all, but under the circumstances, unavoidable. Although we all received more than adequate skills training, nothing i learned in police college could mimic the rush felt as the incident unfolded.

I did a lot of field work back then. It was something i enjoyed very much. At that time, the city streets were pretty rough -- there were lots of illegal activities, triads, robberies, gang clashes etc. Funny thing was, each time there's trouble, all thats needed to be done as i reached the source of bother was to lift my shirt and expose the butt of my gun and 9 times out of 10 the flares would calm down instantly.

From experience, certainly, the firearm can well be an instrument of peace.

Edited by C T
  • Like 2

I find most, certainly not all, but most soldiers/warriors yearn for peace.

As one of my gurus once so eloquently said: Fighting for Peace is like Fucking for Virginity: George Carlin...

• Like 2

I don't know about the security guard situation we're talking about here, but my experiences with security guards in California (while i was a member of LAPD) is that most of these folks, with few exceptions, are qualified to get into a big chingazo involving a gun. There's more involved than just knowing how to pull the trigger. One who has been trained in military or police work knows that there's an entire attitude that needs to accompany the carrying of a firearm, if one is in a position of authority.

Where I live in Ohio, every other backwoods person around is carrying a firearm. It just makes one feel great knowing that your very life is contingent on the mental health of the toothless fellow dressed in camo standing behind you in line....

Mind if I ask what happened when you pulled your gun out? can you share the stories?

If he's dead, it's even worst since they'll investigate if it was an excess of self-defence: in short, if he has a knife, you can't shot him because it's excessive.

You should fight on equal terms and then be able to demonstrate the facts :D

You might be surprised how easy it is to put a Saturday Night Special (.38) in a dead man's hand.

• Like 2

Yes, but carrying of a weapon by a security guard is also a show of potential force. Someone acting up will think at least twice before continuing unacceptable behavior when they see a guard with a weapon.

Funny what you said about Ohio. You should see the looks I get when I am carrying one of my assassin's daggers. (I wear them only when I am going to a gun/knife show somewhere.