BaguaKicksAss

Meditation....

bonpomonk.jpg

An absolutely incredible photograph taken around 1930 by Lt.Col. James Leslie Weir. Weir served in the British foreign service and visited Tibet upon the invitation of the 13th Dalai Lama in 1930 to discuss problems along the eastern border of Tibet shared with the Chinse province of Szechuan.

The photo depicts a Bon monk in meditation with the heads of both animals and humans suspended from the rafters. Again, the ancient practice of head hunting and preservation of human heads as possibly an offering to the gods was preserved in Tibet among the practitioners of Bon. Apparently worshipers were known to bring live animals to the temple. Sacrifice of animals and apparently humans as well were an accepted form of tribute with the heads preserved as further tokens for the gods.

Note the rug upon which the monk is seated. The shaggy fringe is very reminiscent of those warp faced back rugs, suggesting that tribute was presented to both Buddhist and Bon temples in the past.

http://www.tcoletribalrugs.com/resources/photos-old/tibet-pics-html/bonpomonk.html

• Like 2

If ever he decides to sell his place he'll need to redecorate to get that 'kerb appeal' in order to attract buyers.

• Like 1

Those human heads sure do 'set off' the room though.

Real conversation pieces if entertaining.

That could catch on.

:)

Edited by GrandmasterP
  • Like 1

These yogis will go to great lengths to challenge conventions. They don't call it 'crazy wisdom' for no reason. Of course, some may wonder what wisdom lies in that, and its hard to really explain it without causing confusion. But those who actually practice Vajrayana (not those who claim to have done it for a while and then given up) will grasp the significance.

Symbolic representations are very much interweaved into that tradition.

Edited by C T
  • Like 1

These yogis will go to great lengths to challenge conventions. They don't call it 'crazy wisdom' for no reason. Of course, some may wonder what wisdom lies in that, and its hard to really explain it without causing confusion. But those who actually practice Vajrayana (not those who claim to have done it for a while and then given up) will grasp the significance.

Symbolisms are so much interweaved into that tradition.

Man, anyone who opts for stuff like that in his house aint right in the head.

Looks to me as if old man Lama there is posing for the photo outside Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe.

:)

I wonder if he meditates under those objects because he considers them totem animals, maybe human ancestors?

• Like 2

Man, anyone who opts for stuff like that in his house aint right in the head. Looks to me as if old man Lama there is posing for the photo outside Ye Olde Curiosity Shoppe. :)

:D

I wonder if he meditates under those objects because he considers them totem animals, maybe human ancestors?

The main intention is to tap into the potential to achieve equanimity, one of the four sublime states in Buddhist (or Bon?) contemplative traditions.

• Like 2

The main intention is to tap into the potential to achieve equanimity, one of the four sublime states in Buddhist (or Bon?) contemplative traditions.

yeah, but if you wanna make a Bon-omelette, first you have to break a few eggs. Or chop off a couple heads, apparently. Do the heads come from already deceased persons or are they also a sacrifice? Unfortunate outsiders? British Lt. Cols., for example?

• Like 1

yeah, but if you wanna make a Bon-omelette, first you have to break a few eggs. Or chop off a couple heads, apparently. Do the heads come from already deceased persons or are they also a sacrifice? Unfortunate outsiders? British Lt. Cols., for example?

Well, its anyone's guess, right?

I think we need to understand the mindset of the Himalayan people with regards to corpses. Burials are not the norm in that region. Dead bodies are either cremated ceremonially or simply hacked to pieces to feed the vultures, and anything else that want to feed, as a last act of compassion. Perhaps the heads are nothing more than keepsakes from those who have died. Maybe they leave wills.... my head goes to uncle Sonam, and the pinky to Don Vincenzo, that kind of way. :D

Edited by C T
  • Like 3

I think it is all a matter of perspective. Here in the West most think of such things as either horrific, spooky, or circus like. The guy meditating however likely feels these items are quite sacred. For example the aboriginals and their animal parts, so they can work with them. The ancient Egyptians used mummified animals for different Deities, and would put them around the temples.

Funny thing was I was too busy thinking "wow, that is quite a bit different than the folks who won't even kill a mosquito" (though perhaps they never would as that is unnecessary) to realize that my sacred space isn't much different, accept that I have most of them put away in trunks ;). (all obtained legally, and I work with each one of them).

• Like 4

So the method he is using is to merge energies, by being under them, to achieve a oneness (equanimity?) with the spirit of different species....

So the method he is using is to merge energies, by being under them, to achieve a oneness (equanimity?) with the spirit of different species....

That could well be the intention of some practitioners, while others may use the practice mainly to overcome grasping and aversion.

If a practitioner's mind is perfectly balanced between grasping and aversion, he or she is said to be in equipoise (short for equanimous poise). One whose mind can constantly rest in equipoise is said to have 'captured' (metaphorically) a mind akin to the abode of Brahma. Symbolically, Brahma is the supreme representation of peace, and practitioners who patiently develop the four sublime states thru mindful attention to conduct of thoughts, speech and actions, are said to gain a status equal to Brahma (Skt. Brahma-samo).

In all, the four sublime states, also known as Brahma-vihara (or divine abodes) are Love, Compassion, Sympathetic Joy, and Equanimity. They are appropriately called abodes due to the idealistic encouragement given to practitioners to always strive to reach such a mentally lofty and sacred space, to lead the mind home, figuratively speaking. Therefore, a mind that is saturated by the four sublime states is said to attain freedom from craving and desires, jealousy, envy and all that, leading finally to the cessation of rounds of rebirth, which is the highest ideal in certain Buddhist traditions.

Specifically, Equanimity in this context relates to a mind rooted firmly in insight, and from insight comes an unwavering resolve not to be overawed by or fearful of the ever-changing tides of birth, growth, old age, and death.

Sorry for rambling on...

Blessings to all.

• Like 1

some that carry human skulls do it to remind them about the impermanence of life which serves as motivation for their practice.

• Like 2

That could well be the intention of some practitioners, while others may use the practice mainly to overcome grasping and aversion.

If a practitioner's mind is perfectly balanced between grasping and aversion, he or she is said to be in equipoise (short for equanimous poise). One whose mind can constantly rest in equipoise is said to have 'captured' (metaphorically) a mind akin to the abode of Brahma. Symbolically, Brahma is the supreme representation of peace, and practitioners who patiently develop the four sublime states thru mindful attention to conduct of thoughts, speech and actions, are said to gain a status equal to Brahma (Skt. Brahma-samo).

In all, the four sublime states, also known as Brahma-vihara (or divine abodes) are Love, Compassion, Sympathetic Joy, and Equanimity. They are appropriately called abodes due to the idealistic encouragement given to practitioners to always strive to reach such a mentally lofty and sacred space, to lead the mind home, figuratively speaking. Therefore, a mind that is saturated by the four sublime states is said to attain freedom from craving and desires, jealousy, envy and all that, leading finally to the cessation of rounds of rebirth, which is the highest ideal in certain Buddhist traditions.

Specifically, Equanimity in this context relates to a mind rooted firmly in insight, and from insight comes an unwavering resolve not to be overawed by or fearful of the ever-changing tides of birth, growth, old age, and death.

Sorry for rambling on...

Blessings to all.

Please ramble on any time you have the urge. Your ramblings contain crumbs that this crow will scoop up right after they're cast out. And take back to the nest for further study.

The place between aversion and grasping would seem to be Acceptance?

Recently I was reading a book by Almine who talks about the double-cone (as a chakra) of insight. As far as one cone is capable of seeing within is equidistant to the capability of outer 'vision', whether used for healing, understanding, or seeing for other purposes.

Edited by manitou

some that carry human skulls do it to remind them about the impermanence of life which serves as motivation for their practice.

This is a shamanic idea as well. Using 'death as an advisor', meaning that every breath is precious - that life can end at any time - and for full appreciation of life from moment to moment. Maybe this is part of the meditator-under-the-skulls mindset as well.

• Like 3

This is a shamanic idea as well. Using 'death as an advisor', meaning that every breath is precious - that life can end at any time - and for full appreciation of life from moment to moment. Maybe this is part of the meditator-under-the-skulls mindset as well.

Yes, yes very much agreed. Please "ramble" as much as you like, on any thread I start! :)

• Like 1

Care to elaborate a bit?

Suuuure, as soon as you give me your full legal name, your bank card and pin number, and your social security number ;).

I have learned that it is not wise to talk in great detail on the internet about ones spirit helpers...

• Like 1

the skulls are also useful for honouring one's ancestors; for working with a path ancestor; for a strong spirit helper. I don't know about Bon in particular, but many other paths utilize these methods.

• Like 1

Please ramble on any time you have the urge. Your ramblings contain crumbs that this crow will scoop up right after they're cast out. And take back to the nest for further study.

The place between aversion and grasping would seem to be Acceptance?

Recently I was reading a book by Almine who talks about the double-cone (as a chakra) of insight. As far as one cone is capable of seeing within is equidistant to the capability of outer 'vision', whether used for healing, understanding, or seeing for other purposes.

This is a subtle semantic comment that you may or may not resonate with.

I've been favoring the word allow over accept recently.

Sometimes, when we tell ourselves to accept and are having difficulty with it, we can get a bad feeling, a feeling of failure or incompetence. And sometimes, things may be so onerous that perhaps we should not accept and yet me may not be able to change whatever it is.

On the other hand, allow, at least for me connotes less agreement but a similar lack of resistance.

FWIW

• Like 2

Yes, yes very much agreed. Please "ramble" as much as you like, on any thread I start! :)

No, it is CT who is the rambler extraordinaire.....

• Like 1

No, it is CT who is the rambler extraordinaire.....

I was just agreeing with you that his rambling is more than welcome and using your post to say I second this :). However, also feel free to ramble please as your posts are extremely interesting too! :D

• Like 1