Oolong Rabbit

Is this THE Wang Li Ping?

.. named Wang Li Ping. Is this the actual master depicted in Opening the Dragon gate?

I could be wrong, but it doesn't sound like THE Wang Li Ping's story. THE Wang Li Ping was not taught by a relative, but by three old men from far away... who meditated, all three sensed him psychically, when they were considering who would be the next lineage holder.

The Wang Li Ping in the video, it says that he was trained by his grandfather.

Could be I don't know the whole story, or the video is simply mis-spoken and it is the guy, or whatever...

I could be wrong, but it doesn't sound like THE Wang Li Ping's story. THE Wang Li Ping was not taught by a relative, but by three old men from far away... who meditated, all three sensed him psychically, when they were considering who would be the next lineage holder.

The Wang Li Ping in the video, it says that he was trained by his grandfather.

Could be I don't know the whole story, or the video is simply mis-spoken and it is the guy, or whatever...

I know there are discreptancies. It also said he has a daughter, but in the book it's a son etc... That having been said, I have read that Opening the Dragon's Gate was written by one of Li Ping's disciples and he is reputed to have changed/ embellished quite a bit. It would just strike me as odd if there were 2 Wang Li Ping Taoist masters, but then again maybe Wang Li Ping is the equivalent of John Smith in China.

... we would be hearing from SeanDenty :rolleyes:

if it were the Dragon Gate Wang Li Ping.

... we would be hearing from SeanDenty :rolleyes:

if it were the Dragon Gate Wang Li Ping.

Don't think you'll be hearing from him...

Wang Li Ping is still said to have a son if my mind serves me well

:)

Why would the "Dragon Gate" Wang Li Ping talk about Wudan Kung fu or the use of weapons?

Why would the "Dragon Gate" Wang Li Ping talk about Wudan Kung fu or the use of weapons?

Really nice.

The story of Wang Li Ping grandfather reminds me of star wars.

After all in the book he was teached by the 3 masters. But they were his master, his master master, and a third. Now his master would be his "father"? Practice speaking.

His master master would be his "father -father".

A game of words similar to:

-What happened to my father?

-He was killed by DartVader

:)

Agreed with Sean, the cemetery standing practice sounds so cool!

The complete National Geographic documentary: Dragons of Wudang has finally been posted on youtube. They say the master shown at the start of part 2 is named Wang Li Ping. Is this the actual master depicted in Opening the Dragon gate?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJxVsnSNu0M...ted&search=

Depends on when the Documentary was filmed.

According to the book, Sifu Wang Li Ping is right on the underside of 60 years old right now. I wouldn't rule out the lineage holder of the Six Major Dao having some training before he met the three wise men.

Lets go over there and find out. Whos' able bodied enough to go?

Edited by Spectrum

Lets go over there and find out. Whos' able bodied enough to go?

Prolly Wayfarer64. He does Hung Gar Kung Fu don't he?

I'd think twice about volunteering an older guy but I think that he may have certain social skills that may be very valuable.

I dont suppose anyone cashed the video? i clicked on the link but its been removed :(

Edit: never mind I found it :D Not the same WLP

Edited by Dreamingawake

just some parts of the video. the graveyard standing was interesting but I wont be trying it anytime soon. I've had enough trouble with spirits without chasing them down :P

It don't mean a thing, if it don't have Li Ping. :lol:

Interesting video, I look forward to watching all of it.

B)

Prolly Wayfarer64. He does Hung Gar Kung Fu don't he?

I'd think twice about volunteering an older guy but I think that he may have certain social skills that may be very valuable.

I am honored that you think of me as capable for representing the Tao Bums in such a capacity. I would very much regard such an incounter as a high-light of my questing!

I am not sure that my meager skills would seem like much at all to the sifu. Perhaps my sifu's son who is also a master would concider such an adventure viable - but he has 3 kids to be a father for so ....

Also, wouldn't language skills be more important in this adventure? I have little more than "restaurant" Chinese language... :D

You can find the documentary on youtube here:

It's the first of five parts.

Interesting.

However, it reminds me of the documentaries I've seen about the Shaolin monasteries. I wonder how authentic it still is and how much it's already government organized for tourism and show.

This Wang Liping doesn't look at all like the Dragon Gate WLP.