silent thunder

what's the coolest/oddest thing you've ever found?

I'm wondering what odd/awesome/nasty/strange things folks have found in their lives...

I once found about a pound of weed hidden inside a hay bale. I was 10 and my buddy and I were launching ourselves off the garage roof onto the bale when my hand brushed a plastic bag. My mom called the police and we turned it in. Party at officer Brown's place that month!

• Like 2

The coolest oddest thing I have ever found is my wife! (i was just walkin' the dog when I found her)

She's can see the future, talk to and see spirits (not just dead ones - all the really big spirits that we hear about in the scriptures come to visit her all the time..no biggy to her), hear peoples thoughts, feel their feelings, and she can remove negative emotions from you 1 by 1 and you NEVER feel them again..

That's just the tip of the iceberg of her cool oddness!

imo thats pretty f$%king cool and more than a bit odd?

• Like 4

Well ... one of them is a rock, I was showing to Chinese visitors last night (when giving them a run down on local geology.

It is an 'aerated' river stone set inside another riverstone; A volcano spewed out the aerated rock, it got weathered into a round river stone, picked up by a glacier, taken out to sea in an iceberg which melted, it dropped to the ocean mud, which turned to mud stone, the sea bed surfaced and weathered and broke up and that part turned into another riverstone ... two whole geo cycles in one stone ... :) I also have some ancient stone tools from the Skeleton Coast in Namibia

skeleton-coast-flying-safari-05_940_529_

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 4

Well ... one of them is a rock, I was showing to Chinese visitors last night (when giving them a run down on local geology.

It is an 'aerated' river stone set inside another riverstone; A volcano spewed out the aerated rock, it got weathered into a round river stone, picked up by a glacier, taken out to sea in an iceberg which melted, it dropped to the ocean mud, which turned to mud stone, the sea bed surfaced and weathered and broke up and that part turned into another riverstone ... two whole geo cycles in one stone ... :) I also have some ancient stone tools from the Skeleton Coast in Namibia

That's pretty amazing..though, a bit of a long winded way to get stoned if you ask me...

A moment alone with Silent thunder's 1 pound baggy would be much faster me thinks? :wacko:

That's pretty amazing..though, a bit of a long winded way to get stoned if you ask me...

A moment alone with Silent thunder's 1 pound baggy would be much faster me thinks? :wacko:

Long winded is the best way IMO fuck eating it !

I dont like S T's way ... the cops ended up with it .

There is something about a stone artifact that old ... when you turn it around in your hand and it fits into place and its usage is revealed ... and to think of the hands and person that used it .... I showed one that was a bit strange to an Aboriginal friend and he goes ..."Oh ! This guy was a left hander." :blink:

• Like 1

One pound baggies arent that rare around here ... I sometimes see the cops driving down the road (after the helicopters fly over) with a large truck and trailer * full ... once they went over the old bridge near the school bus stop and some jumped (yep, it wasnt even covered) out and landed on the road ... some of the kids bought it home to show their parents ... eeek!

Nice work officers ! :rolleyes:

* LIke one of these .... I'm not kidding ya

tandemTrailer.png

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

Ya, my find was in 1979 or so, in suburban Minnesota, that might have been the entire winter stash for some dude...

suffice to say, if my college self had found it, the calls made would have been to some friends...

Just remembered a freaky odd find... while sitting on a beach covered in rounded stones in Palos Verdes California, I looked down to my right and found what appeared to be, a half dozen human vertebrae and some finger bones settled in among the stones in the low tide line.

They'd been stripped clean of all flesh and were bleached white. I sat there for a while wondering if I should alert authorities to possibly ID an old drowning or boating victim.

However, I found enough finger bones that I realized it would have to be two people's remains and that seemed unlikely, since it was just a few vertebrae and finger bones, nothing else. Then I remembered that sea lions have basically the same size and shaped fingers in their flippers that we have in our hands and the reality settled in that I had the remains of a sea lion.

So I took them home and boiled them soundly for an hour or so.

My wife walked in the door and said.... "Are you making me Seafood? Something smells great!"

I planned to carve a set of runes out of them, but never found a consistent way to do it, so eventually returned them to the ocean.

• Like 1

Thats cool, I have a skull and bone collection, the ibis was one of the first, found it at the river beach here

RS343%20-%20Scarlet%20Ibis.JPG

Various others; eagle, snake - the rainbow serpent has fused vertebrae inside the top of its cranium as a backbone extension and that comes forward all the way to its tongue sheath ... in a way the tongue is like the forked exposed tip of the spinal chord :blink: .... this is one of my favourites

1294474230326743.jpeg

yes, those are modified incisors that have evolved into tusks and then ... something else ... can you guess what this is ?

The underside I call 'spirit man'

view from underneath

Obdurodon-and-Platypus-skulls.jpg

This animal has one of the weirdest jaw bone set ups I have ever seen !

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

52773-59900-4.jpg

Top middle is the lower jaw ... the oval perforated pads 1/3 of the way along the lower jaw bone fit into the similar ones on the underside (half way down in the above pic at post #11 )

A tiger in a touristic 'tiger sanctuary' up in India's Western Ghats.

They only had the one tiger so I was lucky to find it.

It sat up like a dog begging and waved a paw in a friendly fashion as we passed.

I found out later that the regular tiger had recently deceased so the centre had borrowed one from a circus.

Edited by GrandmasterP

One of the more unusual things I ever found was a hummingbird in my dining room. It landed on my hand and I carried outside, where it sat on a rhododendron branch near the house for a few minutes before flying off.

• Like 1

One of the more unusual things I ever found was a hummingbird in my dining room. It landed on my hand and I carried outside, where it sat on a rhododendron branch near the house for a few minutes before flying off.

WHOA!

i used to feed a particular squirrel at an apt we lived in...

she'd run along our fence and I'd line raw almonds up for her every morning...

One morning I'd forgotten to lay out the nuts, or didn't have them and I woke up to find her sitting on top of my chair at my desk waiting for me to wake up and come downstairs! Three cats in the place and she's up there just as calm as if she lived with us...

She was nursing at the time.

• Like 2